Did Vegeta allow Trunks' tail to be removed?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Did Vegeta allow Trunks' tail to be removed?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:23 am

If a Saiyan keeps his primate tail, he becomes stronger I think. Gohan, Gohan and Goten (and maybe Pan) had their tails removed for the protection of Earth. But Vegeta had his tail cut off by Yajirobe.

So when Trunks grew his tail, do you think Vegeta wanted it to stay, or did he willingly let it be removed from his son?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Re: Did Vegeta allow Trunks' tail to be removed?

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:41 am

Trunks and Goten were not born with tails. According to Toriyama, the tails are a recessive gene trait (in reality, Toriyama got tired of drawing them).
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:46 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:Trunks and Goten were not born with tails. According to Toriyama, the tails are a recessive gene trait (in reality, Toriyama got tired of drawing them).
Thank you.

Alien genetics is the one reason I can accept that excuse, because no one knows how alien breeding works out (and thankfully no one really cares).
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:59 am

Meaning Pan or Bra's children could very well have a tail.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:12 am

What if they were born with tails? Do you think Vegeta would have removed his son's tail?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:20 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote: (and thankfully no one really cares).
You would be surprised..

The question has been answered already so I am just confirming it, yes, he was born tailless and so was Goten
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:48 pm

Maybe Trunks had a tail when he was born but they removed it before Vegeta could see him? Same with Goten.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:40 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:Trunks and Goten were not born with tails. According to Toriyama, the tails are a recessive gene trait (in reality, Toriyama got tired of drawing them).
I'm not a genetics expert, but I don't think this explanation makes sense. If the trait is recessive wouldn't that typically mean it's less common? Yet every single saiyan on Planet Vegeta seemed to have tails.

Wasn't it also said that once a saiyan grows strong enough, their tail begins to inhibit their potential? I prefer that explanation for why the boys were born without tails.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:18 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
I'm not a genetics expert, but I don't think this explanation makes sense. If the trait is recessive wouldn't that typically mean it's less common? Yet every single saiyan on Planet Vegeta seemed to have tails.
This only matters if there's another trait to cancel it out. Since all Saiyans have that specific trait it's only natural that their kids would have it as well. Its recessive nature only comes into play when they breed with another species whose members are naturally born tailless.

For example, let's say being short is a recessive trait. This wouldn't matter in a population composed exclusively of short specimens possessing this trait, all of their progeny would be born short except in the extremely rare case of a mutation. However if they were to mate with a tall specimen, that trait would overwrite the short trait in most cases and their offspring would end up being tall.

DBSQA
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBSQA » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:23 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:If a Saiyan keeps his primate tail, he becomes stronger I think. Gohan, Gohan and Goten (and maybe Pan) had their tails removed for the protection of Earth. But Vegeta had his tail cut off by Yajirobe.

So when Trunks grew his tail, do you think Vegeta wanted it to stay, or did he willingly let it be removed from his son?
I'm pretty sure Toriyama just forgot and he had to come up with something just to please the fans.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:35 pm

At that point in the series, Vegeta was written as being uninvolved and unconcerned with his Earth "family." He probably wasn't present at Trunks' birth, and let Bulma raise him as she saw fit. In his mind, Trunks was a half-breed anyway, so it mattered little to him.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:02 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:
This only matters if there's another trait to cancel it out. Since all Saiyans have that specific trait it's only natural that their kids would have it as well. Its recessive nature only comes into play when they breed with another species whose members are naturally born tailless.

For example, let's say being short is a recessive trait. This wouldn't matter in a population composed exclusively of short specimens possessing this trait, all of their progeny would be born short except in the extremely rare case of a mutation. However if they were to mate with a tall specimen, that trait would overwrite the short trait in most cases and their offspring would end up being tall.
Oh I see. That's a good explanation than. So I guess Gohan having a tail was just sheer luck, right?

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:21 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
nickzambuto wrote: I'm not a genetics expert, but I don't think this explanation makes sense. If the trait is recessive wouldn't that typically mean it's less common? Yet every single saiyan on Planet Vegeta seemed to have tails.

Oh I see. That's a good explanation than. So I guess Gohan having a tail was just sheer luck, right?
Kind of, just because a trait is recessive doesn't mean it will never show up. The ratio is generally 3:1, as in for every 3 tailless hybrids one will be born with a tail.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:12 am

DBSQA wrote:
I'm pretty sure Toriyama just forgot and he had to come up with something just to please the fans.[/quote]

He had the foresight to have Kuririn point out that Trunks was missing a tail when everyone was gathering up on the mountainside just before #19 and Gero attacked, and we know he personally disliked drawing tails and did whatever he could to get away from it (hence why Goku kept losing his, and why he, Vegeta, and Gohan eventually lost theirs permanently), so it's far more likely that he knowingly wrote the tails out, rather than forgetting about them.

GreatWyrmGold

Post by GreatWyrmGold » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:57 am

DragonBallFoodie wrote:If a Saiyan keeps his primate tail, he becomes stronger I think.
[citation needed]
I don't remember anything that would suggest this.

And as for a positive reason for Vegeta to accept it, rather than a lack of a negative reason: What if Trunks saw the moon when Vegeta wasn't right there? Oh, he would be stopped—probably after a few minutes at most—but that's plenty of time for little Trunks to seriously damage the Capsule Corp headquaters...AKA the place where he trains, eats, and does the other things he likes to do.
Also, what would Vegeta do to stop it? Kidnap Trunks and raise him by himself? That would get in the way of training, his free meal ticket, etc...and Bulma knows how to contact several people who could find him the moment he stops hiding his energy.
I have constructed a power level list for Dragon Ball Super. Feedback and constructive criticism are appreciated!

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:19 am

GreatWyrmGold wrote:
DragonBallFoodie wrote:If a Saiyan keeps his primate tail, he becomes stronger I think.
[citation needed]
I don't remember anything that would suggest this.

And as for a positive reason for Vegeta to accept it, rather than a lack of a negative reason: What if Trunks saw the moon when Vegeta wasn't right there? Oh, he would be stopped—probably after a few minutes at most—but that's plenty of time for little Trunks to seriously damage the Capsule Corp headquaters...AKA the place where he trains, eats, and does the other things he likes to do.
Also, what would Vegeta do to stop it? Kidnap Trunks and raise him by himself? That would get in the way of training, his free meal ticket, etc...and Bulma knows how to contact several people who could find him the moment he stops hiding his energy.
Goku lost some power when Yamcha got rid of his tail and regained his strength when it grew back while he was fighting Giran.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:50 am

GreatWyrmGold wrote: And as for a positive reason for Vegeta to accept it, rather than a lack of a negative reason: What if Trunks saw the moon when Vegeta wasn't right there? Oh, he would be stopped—probably after a few minutes at most—but that's plenty of time for little Trunks to seriously damage the Capsule Corp headquaters...AKA the place where he trains, eats, and does the other things he likes to do.
There is no moon anymore. Following Piccolo destroying it to stop Gohan's rampage at the beginning of his wilderness training, the moon has never been wished back or otherwise restored.

GreatWyrmGold

Post by GreatWyrmGold » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:02 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:Goku lost some power when Yamcha got rid of his tail and regained his strength when it grew back while he was fighting Giran.
I'm not sure either of those are true. Goku passed out when his tail was cut off, but I don't recall anything suggesting he was weaker than he had been before. And IIRC, Goku's tail helped him against Giran because of its utility as an extra limb, not because it made him stronger.
Darkprince410 wrote: There is no moon anymore. Following Piccolo destroying it to stop Gohan's rampage at the beginning of his wilderness training, the moon has never been wished back or otherwise restored.
The moon is seen at least a couple of times after that. Not sure if it was just filler or something, but it was. And I'm not sure why Kami or Dende wouldn't replace the moon, like Kami did back in Dragon Ball; it's kind of important.
I have constructed a power level list for Dragon Ball Super. Feedback and constructive criticism are appreciated!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:36 pm

GreatWyrmGold wrote: The moon is seen at least a couple of times after that. Not sure if it was just filler or something, but it was. And I'm not sure why Kami or Dende wouldn't replace the moon, like Kami did back in Dragon Ball; it's kind of important.
Pictures?

Every time Earth's moon is mentioned after that point, it's in the context of it not being there anymore. If I recall correctly, the last time it is even mentioned is during the Saiyan fight, when Vegeta is forced to create his own artificial moon to transform due to Earth's having been destroyed.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

GreatWyrmGold

Post by GreatWyrmGold » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:11 pm

I'm not sure exactly what chapter/episode they're from, or how I'd get a screenshot of them. I might spend the effort to figure all that out if I was more confident that it wasn't an anime-only thing or something else easily dismissed.
Apparently, the moon showed up some time when Frieza and King Cold came to Earth. That's about all I can tell you. Sorry about that. (I still maintain that the moon is important enough to get restored sooner or later.)