What is more satisfying?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

dragonballer
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: What is more satisfying?

Post by dragonballer » Wed May 03, 2017 4:02 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
nickzambuto wrote: Selfish isn't the word to describe that. Foolish and reckless and even arrogant all apply to Goku, but selfish would imply he doesn't care if innocent people are killed. He does care, and a lot at that. He just wasn't thinking about that because Goku lacks big picture thinking skills. Can we really call him selfish for this decision when he didn't really even grasp the concept that he was endangering lives? He's like an animal, we can't blame him. But when he does occasionally understand the severity of situations, he's never hesitated to risk his very life. That would include opportunities to fight.
Its also wrong to punish someone for a crime they have yet to commit. Once the timeline split it was entirely possible the Androids would never have shown up, Gero could have, in theory, changed his mind or gone another route. Time travel is weird.
People seem to judge Goku based off their own moral standards rather than anything open minded. Blazing in and vaporzing Gero before he actually did anything like the fuzzing Punisher is not what I would call heroic. Goku's morality is pure and more Superman-like.
actually,goku did say they can't kill Dr.Gero because he hasn't done anything bad yet. Also,Goku was really pissed off when Dr.Gero was killing citizens to create "a place without people".

User avatar
nickzambuto
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1528
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Re: What is more satisfying?

Post by nickzambuto » Wed May 03, 2017 6:42 pm

dragonballer wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Its also wrong to punish someone for a crime they have yet to commit. Once the timeline split it was entirely possible the Androids would never have shown up, Gero could have, in theory, changed his mind or gone another route. Time travel is weird.
People seem to judge Goku based off their own moral standards rather than anything open minded. Blazing in and vaporzing Gero before he actually did anything like the fuzzing Punisher is not what I would call heroic. Goku's morality is pure and more Superman-like.
actually,goku did say they can't kill Dr.Gero because he hasn't done anything bad yet. Also,Goku was really pissed off when Dr.Gero was killing citizens to create "a place without people".
What? What is your point?

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here
Posts: 2326
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:00 pm

Re: What is more satisfying?

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed May 03, 2017 6:52 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
dragonballer wrote:
nickzambuto wrote: People seem to judge Goku based off their own moral standards rather than anything open minded. Blazing in and vaporzing Gero before he actually did anything like the fuzzing Punisher is not what I would call heroic. Goku's morality is pure and more Superman-like.
actually,goku did say they can't kill Dr.Gero because he hasn't done anything bad yet. Also,Goku was really pissed off when Dr.Gero was killing citizens to create "a place without people".
What? What is your point?
I dont don't want to speak for others...but the debate has turned to the morality of Goku. We were saying it doesn't make him immoral or not heroic to wait for Gero to commit his "crime" as arguments can be made that is actually the moral thing to do.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

dragonballer
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:39 pm

Re: What is more satisfying?

Post by dragonballer » Wed May 03, 2017 8:17 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
dragonballer wrote:
nickzambuto wrote: People seem to judge Goku based off their own moral standards rather than anything open minded. Blazing in and vaporzing Gero before he actually did anything like the fuzzing Punisher is not what I would call heroic. Goku's morality is pure and more Superman-like.
actually,goku did say they can't kill Dr.Gero because he hasn't done anything bad yet. Also,Goku was really pissed off when Dr.Gero was killing citizens to create "a place without people".
What? What is your point?
that goku has some righteous mindset similiar to superman.

just to be in topic,no evil caracther has shown that being evil in dragon ball is worth or fun.

User avatar
TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 262
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: What is more satisfying?

Post by TheGodfather93 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:54 am

nickzambuto wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
nickzambuto wrote: Selfish isn't the word to describe that. Foolish and reckless and even arrogant all apply to Goku, but selfish would imply he doesn't care if innocent people are killed. He does care, and a lot at that. He just wasn't thinking about that because Goku lacks big picture thinking skills. Can we really call him selfish for this decision when he didn't really even grasp the concept that he was endangering lives? He's like an animal, we can't blame him. But when he does occasionally understand the severity of situations, he's never hesitated to risk his very life. That would include opportunities to fight.
Its also wrong to punish someone for a crime they have yet to commit. Once the timeline split it was entirely possible the Androids would never have shown up, Gero could have, in theory, changed his mind or gone another route. Time travel is weird.
People seem to judge Goku based off their own moral standards rather than anything open minded. Blazing in and vaporzing Gero before he actually did anything like the fuzzing Punisher is not what I would call heroic. Goku's morality is pure and more Superman-like.
He didn't have to kill Gero. He could've just busted into his lab, arrested or subdued him, and ultimately stopped him from building killer androids. Also, in case building said killer androids doesn't equate to doing something bad, Gero did use to work for the Red Ribbon Army - who are actually bad guys - and seemingly willingly at that.

Like I said, it's just bad writing and plot contrivances so as to drive the story forward.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93

User avatar
nickzambuto
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1528
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Re: What is more satisfying?

Post by nickzambuto » Thu May 04, 2017 2:05 am

dragonballer wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:
dragonballer wrote:
actually,goku did say they can't kill Dr.Gero because he hasn't done anything bad yet. Also,Goku was really pissed off when Dr.Gero was killing citizens to create "a place without people".
What? What is your point?
that goku has some righteous mindset similiar to superman.

just to be in topic,no evil caracther has shown that being evil in dragon ball is worth or fun.
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:
dragonballer wrote:
actually,goku did say they can't kill Dr.Gero because he hasn't done anything bad yet. Also,Goku was really pissed off when Dr.Gero was killing citizens to create "a place without people".
What? What is your point?
I dont don't want to speak for others...but the debate has turned to the morality of Goku. We were saying it doesn't make him immoral or not heroic to wait for Gero to commit his "crime" as arguments can be made that is actually the moral thing to do.
I'm the person who was arguing this. You guys should tell this to some other person.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6089
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: What is more satisfying?

Post by Kanassa » Thu May 04, 2017 3:46 am

TheGodfather93 wrote:Like I said, it's just bad writing and plot contrivances so as to drive the story forward.
It's only bad writing if you look at Goku as an active hero rather than one who really only acts when tragedy strikes in his view

Is told strong androids are gonna come start the apocalypse? He'll be excited to fight and will really only train EXTRA hard to fight them instead of stopping them from ever being a threat.

The androids are actually killing people? He'll lead them away to avoid collateral damage.

Goku is kind and does value life, but his major problem is that he is very short sighted, which is even worse for him when his lust for a good battle kicks in.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Post Reply