Did Goku's character change from ball to Z?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Did Goku's character change from ball to Z?

Post by Totamo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:30 pm

I have heard that in the latter, he is far more selfish and reckless than in ball.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Re: Did Goku's character change from ball to Z?

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:01 pm

After his heritage is revealed(retconed), his "saiyan traits" seem to increasingly grow along with his power, leading to monsterously dumb things like giving Cell a Senzu, and currently being relativily chill about multiversal omnicide.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Goku in Dragon Ball (at least as a kid) was rather brash, very immature, and he refused to let Kami help him during his fight with Piccolo because he wanted to win the tournament fair n' square (even though Piccolo clearly doesn't care about the match as killing is against the rules).

Goku in Z is much wiser and more mature (especially during the Cell Games and Boo Saga) but is more merciful thanks to Kami's influence.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:43 pm

RedRibbonSoldier#42 wrote:After his heritage is revealed(retconed), his "saiyan traits" seem to increasingly grow along with his power, leading to monsterously dumb things like giving Cell a Senzu, and currently being relativily chill about multiversal omnicide.
I'm pretty sure you meant genocide there, as only certain universes would be destroyed. In the end there would still be 5 universes. And for reference sake:

omni-
combining form
all; of all things.
"omniscient"
in all ways or places.
"omnicompetent"

gen·o·cide
ˈjenəˌsīd/Submit
noun
the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.

I'd have included the definition for the word omnicide itself but for some reason it seems to indicate the destruction of the entire "human" race, rather than the destruction of everything, which is what you seemed to be implying.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:39 pm

He gets even stupider as an adult than a kid and cares about people less.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:36 am

Yes. He kills with a clear conscience now, has become more Saiyan-like ever since the start of Z and learned more about love, from thinking a bride was something to eat to showing some street wit by pimping Bulma to Old Kai (iirc he even said Chi-Chi's tits were saggier than hers :angel: )
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:42 am

Well, besides the more obvious traits of becoming more selfish, and battle hungry. During the Namek arc Goku developed more heroic traits such as not wanting kill the bad-guys, and even allowing them to leave Namek Scott free. It was most likely done so that he could be distinguished more from the ruthless Vegeta.

And unlike the previous cases where he would let them live just because they would warrant the death of a mentor and the destruction of the Dragon Balls, or because he simply wanted to battle them again. There was simply no reason, and it was incredibly reckless to do so, because he was letting mass murderers off with no repercussions. Heck in Dragon Ball Goku would even kill the bad guys just because they're the bad guys.

Becoming more of a moral beacon in Namek did work well thematically, but it wasn't an organic development for Goku.