Ages

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:14 am

When was it stated she was younger than Pan. I recall her being older in DBZ as well
(I've only seen the dub of the last couple episodes so I could very easily be wrong.)
Just remember, everytime something bad is happening to you. Something even worse is happening to someone else.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:32 am

The time-line in the Daizenshuu.

779 A.D. Pan is born to Gohan and Videl.

780 A.D. Bra is born to Vegeta and Bulma.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:18 pm

I am starting more and more to lose faith in the daizenshuu on some things. Bra is physically bigger and acts a bit older than Pan at the end of Z in the Manga and the Anime. In GT Bra looks to be in her late teens with Pan looking to be early teens at best.

Daizenshuu can say whatever on that, but I am holding the Manga images above all else, and I'd say Bra is older by far. Daizenshuu not written directly by Toriyama, so I don't care as much about them as I used to. There ARE errors in them.

Panda
Beyond Newbie

Post by Panda » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:11 pm

I think if it wasn't staed in the manga then it isn't official. From the looks of it the Daizenshuu isn't very accurate...

Bra has to be 15 at the least...
Just remember, everytime something bad is happening to you. Something even worse is happening to someone else.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:54 pm

Panda wrote:I think if it wasn't staed in the manga then it isn't official. From the looks of it the Daizenshuu isn't very accurate...

Noooo! Not this again!

Bra dressed like a whore - there's no other reason to think she's that old.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:04 am

She was taller, sounded older and acted older than Pan, but yeah, she's the younger of the two. :roll:

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:54 am

Akira wrote:She was taller, sounded older and acted older than Pan, but yeah, she's the younger of the two. :roll:
These things happen.

Goldex

Post by Goldex » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:59 am

Duo, can you give me the ages of Son Gohan? I thought it was something like:

Raditz: 4 y.
Freeza: 5 y.
Trunks: 6 y.
Androids: 9 y.
Cell: 10 y. (because of the TC)
Saiya-Man: 17 y.

But I could be wrong.

And btw, Bra is younger then Pan, I thought Bra was 9 years old in GT and Pan was 10 or it was 8 and 9 (Because GT is 5 years from Z). =)

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:03 pm

Goldex wrote:Raditz: 4 y.
Those are correct...though it seems the Manga doesn't include the Room of Spirit and Time as a factor because at the beginning of the Saiyaman Arc, Gohan is stated to be Sixteen years of age. That's why my list for Goku includes both "Years since birth" and "Physical age".

Goldex

Post by Goldex » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:20 pm

Duo wrote:
Those are correct...though it seems the Manga doesn't include the Room of Spirit and Time as a factor because at the beginning of the Saiyaman Arc, Gohan is stated to be Sixteen years of age. That's why my list for Goku includes both "Years since birth" and "Physical age".
Yeah, I noticed that in my Manga too. So the "Psysical age" would be 16 years old in the Saiya-Man Saga?

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:31 pm

Goldex wrote:
Duo wrote:
Yeah, I noticed that in my Manga too. So the "Psysical age" would be 16 years old in the Saiya-Man Saga?
Years since birth: 16
Physical age: 17 (thanks to the day spent in the Room of Spirit and Time)

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:46 pm

These are Goku's ages according to the DBZ Landmark book

Note: It mentions he was 1 year old when Grandpa Gohan found him

From Pilaf to Piccolo
-12-15 (roughly 4 years)

Final Touranment to Wedding:
-18-19

Radditz to Freeza:

Cell
-29 (not too clear on this, it just just him in the Time chamber)

Buu

10 years later

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:09 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:These are Goku's ages according to the DBZ Landmark book

Note: It mentions he was 1 year old when Grandpa Gohan found him

From Pilaf to Piccolo
-12-15 (roughly 4 years)

Final Touranment to Wedding:
-18-19

Radditz to Freeza:

Cell
-29 (not too clear on this, it just just him in the Time chamber)

Buu

10 years later
...I'm as old as Goku was when he fought Raditz? Damn. He'd already won the Tenkaichi Budokai by then too...I gotta get with it! I feel so non-accomplished... :o
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:59 pm

Duo wrote:
I always believed that you couldn't consider Gohan five just yet. Due to a whole year not passing quite yet. When Gohan arrives on Namek, only about eleven months and four days had passed for sure. But then there would be some more time in there maybe depending on when the Saiyans arrive.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:50 pm

Tyro wrote:I always believed that you couldn't consider Gohan five just yet. Due to a whole year not passing quite yet. When Gohan arrives on Namek, only about eleven months and four days had passed for sure. But then there would be some more time in there maybe depending on when the Saiyans arrive.
Gohan's birthday is in May (or was it March? anyway) - so he would have had his birthday already (as they were on Namek in December).

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:44 am

I am starting more and more to lose faith in the daizenshuu on some things. Bra is physically bigger and acts a bit older than Pan at the end of Z in the Manga and the Anime. In GT Bra looks to be in her late teens with Pan looking to be early teens at best.

Daizenshuu can say whatever on that, but I am holding the Manga images above all else, and I'd say Bra is older by far. Daizenshuu not written directly by Toriyama, so I don't care as much about them as I used to. There ARE errors in them.
The Daizenshuu *is* the offical source for ages for Bra and Pan, however. They were not mentioned in the manga and the ages, beyond the flip-flop done to Bra, are also what GT uses. Dislike them or not, they are correct.

And secondly, if you wish to go by appearances then Goku was 7 when he first appeared in Dragonball because he's the EXACT same size as 7 year old Goten. Sizes are not proportional to age in Dragonball, deal with it.
I think if it wasn't staed in the manga then it isn't official. From the looks of it the Daizenshuu isn't very accurate...

First of all, everyone knows the Daizneshuu have errors. It's rather common knowledge. But the ages presented are the offical ages and are represented later in GT. It's not something you can debate or ignore. And as they are the only information given to form any kind of age for the girls anything else is 100% guess work.

At the oldest, Bra is 10 in GT, if you use the Perfect Files. If you use the Daizenshuu she is 8. That's just all there is to it. Yes, she was skimpy clothes. So what? She is not, was not, and has never been a teenager in GT. You can not age 10/12 years in only 5 years time, not even in Dragonball.
Bra dressed like a whore - there's no other reason to think she's that old.
Hell hath frozen over... I agree with Desire. @_@
She was taller, sounded older and acted older than Pan, but yeah, she's the younger of the two.
I know a 14 year old who is taller, acts older, sounds older, and even LOOKS older than her 22 year old sister. So, obviously, she's 23 and not 14.... :roll:
And btw, Bra is younger then Pan, I thought Bra was 9 years old in GT and Pan was 10 or it was 8 and 9 (Because GT is 5 years from Z). =)
It'd be 8 and 9 with Z ages. Though, for GT, as GT isn't within the main series continuity, I'm willing to go with the 9 and 10 that the show claims.
I always believed that you couldn't consider Gohan five just yet. Due to a whole year not passing quite yet. When Gohan arrives on Namek, only about eleven months and four days had passed for sure. But then there would be some more time in there maybe depending on when the Saiyans arrive.
Gohan wasn't 4 when Raditz arrived. He was 4 1/2. Gohan's birthday is also in May. Sometime between the 17th (when he exited the RoSaT) and the 26th (when the Cell Games occured). So, ya, he was definately 5. Actually, more than 5 1/2 by the time he fought Freeza.
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:42 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Gohan's birthday is in May (or was it March? anyway) - so he would have had his birthday already (as they were on Namek in December).
Uh, was a date stated in the Daizenshuu? Or am I just missing something?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:49 pm

Tyro wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:Gohan's birthday is in May (or was it March? anyway) - so he would have had his birthday already (as they were on Namek in December).
Yup, he had that birthday party right before the Cell games too.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:00 am

Tyro wrote:
No date exactly. Just "Sometime in May". But, as I mentioned in my post. That can be narrowed down to sometime between the 17th and the 26th since he had his birthday between his RoSaT training and the Cell Games.
<Xyex> Good point.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:38 am

I just find it funny that in one paragraph you basically say "Those are the ages because the book says so", then in the following paragraph you say something to the effect of "It is known that there ARE errors in the Daizenshuu."

Your Goku comparison is out the door, because full blooded saiyans age slower than humans. Vegeta comments on this at the end of the Manga and the end of the Z Anime. That explains Son being 15 when he fought Piccolo Daimao, yet still appearing to be 10-12 in appearance.

Bra and Pan both have human blood, and as seen in Son Gohan, those with mixed blood age about on par with human aging and growth.

So I will rest on my instincts to trust the Manga and excuse anything else that contradicts it. I will also retire from this "debate" and leave you to think whatever you decide to believe and not try to convince you otherwise. :wink: