Why doesn't Roshi just learn to fly?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Why doesn't Roshi just learn to fly?

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:32 am

I understand his best years are probably behind him...but if someone like Videl can learn to fly in a day and U6 Saiyans can go Super Saiyan in 5 minutes I feel like Roshi could do it. I mean the man invented the Kamehameha...

So after all these years, in universe, is there ever a reason given in the anime, manga, or other material?
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Why Doesnt Roshi Just Learn To Fly?

Post by LightBing » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:34 am

Probably because it's a technique from the Crane School, who as we all know is lead by his hated rival.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:57 am

A bird killed Mutaito's master.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:02 pm

LightBing wrote:Probably because it's a technique from the Crane School, who as we all know is lead by his hated rival.
I considered that but it seems kind of vain of him. I mean that doesnt sound like Roshi to me..And his own students fly....plus ppl who arent associated with the Crane school fly so it isnt exclusive.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:06 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
LightBing wrote:Probably because it's a technique from the Crane School, who as we all know is lead by his hated rival.
I considered that but it seems kind of vain of him. I mean that doesnt sound like Roshi to me..And his own students fly....plus ppl who arent associated with the Crane school fly so it isnt exclusive.
I wouldn't call it vain, prideful is more fitting. It might even be rooted on his martial arts principles, he absolutely despises Tsuru-Sennin for teaching destructive techniques who endanger everyone. He might have decided to never use his techniques, even innocuous ones like flying.

He doesn't force his views upon students. It's honestly only weird because how normalized the technique has become. At the 23rd TB it was still considered a big deal. Goku hadn't pick it up then.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:49 pm

For this reason among others I'll never see Roshi as on par with Yamcha or the other humans. It makes no sense.

Do you even think Roshi would be able to stand on King Kai's planet which had 10 times Earth's normal gravity?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:34 pm

precita wrote:For this reason among others I'll never see Roshi as on par with Yamcha or the other humans. It makes no sense.

Do you even think Roshi would be able to stand on King Kai's planet which had 10 times Earth's normal gravity?
So you think 23rd TB Goku is inferior to Kuririn and Tenshinhan? Flying has nothing to do with power, I don't understand your logic.

He would have the same difficulties as the others had at first and get used to it eventually.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:48 pm

LightBing wrote:
precita wrote:For this reason among others I'll never see Roshi as on par with Yamcha or the other humans. It makes no sense.

So you think 23rd TB Goku is inferior to Kuririn and Tenshinhan? Flying has nothing to do with power, I don't understand your logic.

He would have the same difficulties as the others had at first and get used to it eventually.
I would say they arent connected, power and flying, but power and understanding ki should make it easier to learn to fly.

Youre 100% right I think.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:02 pm

Maybe he is too old? He has been alive for a few centuries and hasn't learned any new tricks in the series but improvisations of techniques he already knows, he may not have the discipline or physical capability to add something completely different to his arsenal.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Can you imagine how goofy he'd look in flight?
Retired.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:07 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Can you imagine how goofy he'd look in flight?
All I see is a buff badass soaring through the sky
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:22 pm

I'll never understand it :(
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

TheZFighter
Regular

Re: Why doesn't Roshi just learn to fly?

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:22 pm

I could understand it originally as he was the old guy and he basically stepped back to let the new generation take over, and literally did nothing on the front line during Z, but now they're having him make a comeback, it just seems silly.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:55 pm

This could be the reason...But why Tao pai pai couldn't fly as well? Even chiaotzu could fly.
Vados Sama!

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:06 pm

I think that he never saw it as a usefull technique for combat. Sure, flight (or "advanced bukujutsu" like I call it) is important to master for aereal combat but if your opponent can't fly, you have no choice but to drop down and fight him on the ground (you can always use ki attacks from a distance, but still); since Muten Roshi is, probably, far more experienced in ground fighting, he won't learn to fly because it would be a disadvantage for him. A bit like Goku in the 23rd tournament arc/early saiyan arc: he knew bukujutsu but his use of it was too inneficient to fight someone in the air, so he saves the skill for certain occasions. Sure, Roshi could have learned to fly and solve that in the DBZ arcs except he was too busy standing in the sidelines, as he should be. Or that, or you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 pm

There isn't any reason, it is just lazy writing. After so many years watching everyone flying and even after preparing to a huge tournament where everyone flies and Roshi still remains without the ability to fly. It is stupid.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:07 pm

That's always the reason I've run with. It make the most sense in-universe with Roshi being a very honorable martial artist.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:12 pm

All interesting opinions. From a non battle perspective Id do it just for convenience of travel.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:15 am

My guess is because he NEVER really had to. Any training reason aside, it's probably because he had the nimbus but he couldn't really use that anymore but not that really mattered since Roshi became pretty stationary.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:57 pm

Similar to others here, my opinion on the subject is that the reason Muten Roshi didn't want to due to it being a signature move of the Crane School. I also have other ideas. Maybe he just never cared or he has that flying turtle already, so he never needed to learn Bukujutsu

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34