Who do you think Vegeta considers to be a friend?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Who do you think Vegeta considers to be a friend?

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:12 pm

Since Vegeta's a dick to everyone around him including his family, I always imagine he either doesn't want friends or lacks the social skills to actually make them. People say that Goku and Vegeta are best friends but I think that's an extremely one-sided relationship. Additionally, Piccolo and Tenshinhan don't seem to care for Vegeta, while Yamcha probably has resentment for the guy who stole his "girlfriend" or whatever Bulma was. Who do you think Vegeta thinks of as a friend/is considered a friend by?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

sintzu
Banned

Re: Who do you think Vegeta considers to be a friend?

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:23 pm

Probably Goku and Future Trunks. I know one is his son but he's his future self's son so it's not exactly the same as kid Trunks being his son.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:17 pm

Goku, Gohan, and possibly Chi-Chi. Actual family need not apply.

Oh and Tien hates Vegeta. He assumed Vegeta of turning back to his old ways when he attacked Goku.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:53 pm

I'm sure he considers the entire group a 'friend' in at least a casual acquaintance kind of way - like, if an attack was about to kill even Tenshinhan or Yajirobe or something, then I think nowadays he'd rush in to save eve them, though probably spouting off 'your fight is with me!' or the like afterwards. So he cares kinda sorta, but...

As far as someone he considers a friend that he'd actually want to be around? Outside of his family, I'd really say just Goku. As much as he irritates him, at least Vegeta also respects him in some ways and looks forward to sparring with him...more or less. Maybe Gohan? He has spoken oddly highly of the guy at times.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I'm sure he considers the entire group a 'friend' in at least a casual acquaintance kind of way - like, if an attack was about to kill even Tenshinhan or Yajirobe or something, then I think nowadays he'd rush in to save eve them, though probably spouting off 'your fight is with me!' or the like afterwards. So he cares kinda sorta, but...

As far as someone he considers a friend that he'd actually want to be around? Outside of his family, I'd really say just Goku. As much as he irritates him, at least Vegeta also respects him in some ways and looks forward to sparring with him...more or less. Maybe Gohan? He has spoken oddly highly of the guy at times.
I think his appreciation of Gohan is that, halfling or not, he's still a Saiyan and a powerful one at that. Gohan has also proven himself worthy of his own Saiyan heritage by defeating Cell.

Though not exactly a friend, I think he has a soft spot for Krillin.

I'd also say that his respect for Piccolo is about the same as Gohan's. Remember, though weak, Piccolo DID manage to kill Raditz. A Saiyan.

Basically, Vegeta respects power.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:00 pm

Honestly, I'd actually say that out of everyone Goku would be Vegeta's closest friend, but even then he's more of a rival to him.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:38 am

The concept friend dosen't apply in Vegeta's life, it's more along the lines of "This person I will tolerate more than others"
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:11 pm

Vegeta has no friends and I don't think he is even remotely bothered by that. He has a rival in Goku, and he has his family. That is it. At BEST, he treats everyone else with contempt.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:41 pm

I don't know about him and friends, but friendly towards. The ones he thinks of before he's about to blow himself up trying to take down Buu:
Bulma, Trunks, and Gokû. I'd also include Future Trunks and, by way of Super, baby Bra.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:20 pm

About the only non-Saiyans outside of his family who might have garnered his respect are Piccolo and to a lesser extent, Krillin. Respect isn't the same as amiability. It's more likely Vegeta appreciates them for their intuitiveness and skill.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:22 am

Vegeta doesn't really have friends. Though he has a lot of respect for Goku and Gohan, and to a lesser extent for Piccolo and Krillin. Other than his family of course.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:47 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I'm sure he considers the entire group a 'friend' in at least a casual acquaintance kind of way - like, if an attack was about to kill even Tenshinhan or Yajirobe or something, then I think nowadays he'd rush in to save eve them, though probably spouting off 'your fight is with me!' or the like afterwards. So he cares kinda sorta, but...

On the last point, I do agree that he has had odd moments of respecting Gohan. One that really sticks out if Majin Vegeta killing people at the 25th Budokai and smirking but then telling Gohan to stand down because he didn't want to fight him.

edit: The manga version of G'day! Son Goku and his Mates Return also has Goku ask "we're friends, aren't we?" to which Vegeta replies "this is different!" implying that he does agree with Goku viewing them as friends.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:03 am

Saiga wrote:

On the last point, I do agree that he has had odd moments of respecting Gohan. One that really sticks out if Majin Vegeta killing people at the 25th Budokai and smirking but then telling Gohan to stand down because he didn't want to fight him.

edit: The manga version of G'day! Son Goku and his Mates Return also has Goku ask "we're friends, aren't we?" to which Vegeta replies "this is different!" implying that he does agree with Goku viewing them as friends.
Another would be Majin Vegeta being particularly angry with Fat Buu for supposedly killing Gohan. Plus there's Vegeta genuinely apologizing to Gohan (which is probably the first time in his life he had ever done that) after he gets injured saving Vegeta from Cell.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:07 am

sintzu wrote:Probably Goku and Future Trunks. I know one is his son but he's his future self's son so it's not exactly the same as kid Trunks being his son.
I'm guessing he atleast considers all the Z fighters his "comrades".
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:37 am

Pretty much Goku, Bulma, and both Trunks. He doesn't talk much shit to anyone in Super, but he doesn't really talk to anyone in Super except his family and Goku.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:14 am

He doesn't have any friends. Bulma is his woman and Trunks is his son, both of them. The closest thing to a friendship that he has is considering Goku a valuable battle buddy, but only in dire circumstances, normally it's just a rivalry. He does at least respect several people though.

Has Vegeta ever had any interactions with Kuririn outside of their battle?

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:00 am

They're all his friends, he's just too prideful to show it. He seems closest with the Namek crew though. Goku, Piccolo, Gohan, Krillin

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:15 pm

Goku after the Boo arc more or less. Toriyama clearly depicted a sort of bonding moment in the final battle with them laughing and celebrating after Boo's defeat. Vegeta will never have a buddy he hangs out with (neither will Goku), but he definitely views Goku as his closest compatriot.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:19 pm

I would say no one, at most he considers some of them his training/martial artist parther (kinda how like Goku does).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:12 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:I would say no one, at most he considers some of them his training/martial artist parther (kinda how like Goku does).
Goku definitely considers Krillin, Yamcha, Oolong, Bulma, Tien, and Piccolo his friends.