Are they afraid of using Boo?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Lionel
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Re: Are they afraid of using Boo?

Post by Lionel » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:06 pm

I find Buu to be uninspiring and bland when it comes to personality; he enjoys eating, acts childish, and is raring to get into fights. What's most interesting about his personality is not his day-to-day routine but his reaction to adverse situations or hostile characters. If I were any of the main cast, I would be a little concerned about Buu's first instinct being to kill those whom he knows nothing about or has enough reason to kill per se. For the Earth, he's a potential ticking time bomb that might need to eventually be addressed before he goes off and destroys everything. Mr Satan sparing his life at the time might have been noble as he was trying to offer the wayward creature a chance at life, but what he personally feels doesn't take away from the danger that Buu poses to the world, should he ever become chaotic.

If the studio took the time to explore that element of Buu's personality then he might be more interesting. At the moment, what I enjoy most about him are his unique abilities and status recognition for someone who isn't a Saiyan.

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

Post by Berserker1921 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:51 pm

Buu is too much of a hax character. Yes; he isn't as strong as the top five members in the u7 team.
-goku
-vegeta
-Frieza-
-gohan

But he is a sponge to fight. He tanked an attack by a suppressed Beerus. Yes, Beerus was heavily suppressed but Beerus was legit trying to kill him though.

He has a high-tier regeneration, full molecular control over his body, can make mini-duplicates of himself, he can absorb others to increase his abilities, turn people into candy, and lastly other magical abilities. Not only would he be a pain in the ass to get rid of because of all that. But he could potentially absorb all the minor characters to increase his abilities, learning new abilities in the process and could be a threat to higher level guys.

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:56 pm

Unfortunately, this seems to be the case, Good Buu's abilities would make him a useful teammate to have around.

Copy Skill; The Tournament of Power is a buffet of attacks, he could learn a lot from watching all the multiverse warriors.
Healing Beam; Having an designated healer on the team is a smart tactic, as the Naruto series showed.
Self-Regeneration; Hard to take down an opponent, who can keep fixing himself.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:25 am

Boo breaks the series. He's a walking contradiction in terms of power and regeneration is so broken that it's had to basically be phased out.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:12 pm

Idk. Sometimes I feel that even Toriyama is involved, he's still bored. Some characters is not done right. Not just Buu, but, for example, Goten. At least, Trunks has some development, but damn. Trunks and Goten (and Mai) should be teens now. I'm glad for ToP, at least.
And, yeah, I'm waiting for the Booby-Booby technique and Lala. But my hopes are dead from the beginning.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by Meshack » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:25 pm

Boo is too overpowered. He's powerful, healing capabilities, barely have any stamina issue, and a mindless monster. I doubt Satan could have attended so if Boo became angry, he probably would have killed someone.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by precita » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Buu would have done much better in the tournament than Tien I guess. Buu....how we miss you and your fighting techniques. It's so sad, so very sad.

PsionicWarrior
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:16 am

Ranmaru Rei wrote: Trunks and Goten (and Mai) should be teens now
+1
I somehow hope we get a few years jump after TOP and that they actually can grow a bit, Goten looks like he's 5 lol

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:05 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:I somehow hope we get a few years jump after TOP and that they actually can grow a bit, Goten looks like he's 5 lol
I hope so. Goten now is 13, maybe 12. Actually, I like his DBGT personalty. It, at least, is something, character on his own. Not a chibi copy of Goku, and just continuation of Trunks, like his is now.

Speaking of Buu. What do you think, if, really, Booby-booby will be a real thing and we'll see Lala?

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:44 pm

No matter what form, Buu is a broken concept. Zamasu barely offered something more threatening, and that point only stands in the manga version. I dislike the media fake-out, but I get why Buu was removed.
Ajay is a skank

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:55 pm

precita wrote:Which is idiotic, because they hyped Buu up about entering two tournaments and even put him on all the promotional material and adverts and opening/endings only to pull the plug in the last minute and do a bait and switch.
Was this not done to make the Frieza thing seem bigger though?
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:37 pm

Good to see I'm not the only one disappointed in how Buu is being used, or lack of.

I've always speculated that it would have been a better plot point to have Beerus come to Earth in order to find out who killed Majin Buu than to affirm some paradoxical dream about a "Super Saiyan God".
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:46 pm

They do have the inherent problem of buu being unpredictable. If they let him in they would have had to write about him turning people to candy and if it's a violation of the rules(possibly not). Although eating and absorbing them might be bad. Then again large ginger bread fighters returning to their seats might be funny. Imaging one of them being kicked by an angry god of destruction and half of them falling off and a look of shock on the gods face as their fighter half falls apart and crumbles! Maybe they were avoiding how easy it would be to turn everyone to food and throw them off or worry about buu uncontrollably eating them after looking at all the yummy food being thrown away and loosing the tournament.

If buu can turn things into candy and not just people I'm surprised he's not best friends with beerus by now. If not one day they may be.. Although I'm surprised they were not in the past. Maybe their is a hidden connection between the two. It would be way to easy for them to get together. Although if buu and him fight over the food... That could be how buu came about. He was being that could make anything to food and him and beerus fought and he went on a rampage fighting beerus over the food.. could justify his character. I wouldn't be shocked if everything in the DBZ/S universe ultimately comes down to beerus being an ass.

maybe buu was originally a gods food making device or literally something beerus made to make things he didn't like into candy and he got out of hand.

Of course I"m surprised beerus and goku dont' have the same problem. They would need a lot of food in the afterlife to feed them both. but that might not be a problem.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:02 pm

Buu can leave parts of himself all over the arena. If he didn't, then everybody would point out how stupid that is. Writing him out makes sense, even if it was jarring.
Ajay is a skank

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:20 pm

Captain Strawberry wrote:
precita wrote:He's not really. Buu could be defeated easily, and don't forget he's a lot weaker now than he was when he hatched in the Buu arc due to expelling all the evil out of him.
He is very tanky.

If you blow him up without trying to kill him, he will regenerate if any of his blop is still alive.

He can turn people to candy.

He can somewhat shapeshift.

He can absorb people.

He would be hard to take down without killing him.
For these reasons, I'm asolutely sure they are very afraid to use Boo. Super's writters are, to be kind, as smart as monkeys. They are unnable to do something as creative or effectiv as Toriyama did in the 90's, so they take no risks at all.
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:37 pm

Trickster wrote:
precita wrote:He's not really. Buu could be defeated easily, and don't forget he's a lot weaker now than he was when he hatched in the Buu arc due to expelling all the evil out of him.
He is very tanky.

If you blow him up without trying to kill him, he will regenerate if any of his blop is still alive.

He can absorb people.

For these reasons, I'm asolutely sure they are very afraid to use Boo. Super's writters are, to be kind, as smart as monkeys. They are unnable to do something as creative or effectiv as Toriyama did in the 90's, so they take no risks at all.
I don't think toryiama wrote anything in the 90's. DB and DBZ were written in the 80's. 8d Although if you mean GT did he write that?(And yes I'm joking around)

It would have been interesting for him to leave parts of himself everywhere. That would actually be a really good strategy... But he also might do stupid things and risk their placement by disqaulifications pretty easy also.... Of course the cookie candie transforming would probably go well with zeno. It is a technique afterall and technically in the rules. He woud have been really useful in a more complex scenario. Actually he would be exactly what they said they were looking for with how they made the tournament of power out to be originally. He literally needs to be killed to be stopped for the most part and it would have taken shovels to remove him. Literally! Hmmm, he could have been used as a sling shot by the z fighters and they could have went around launching poeple off the stage with his body!! >< That could have been funny. they could have done a lot of fun stuff with him. Shame they didn't make the combat more complex. The fights at this point are insanely timid and don't really use any complex strategy. Buu would have shined here. Even if people like jiren were stronger. Strength is not everything. Same with tien and the other fighters not getting ot use all their skill to their fullest. Let alone outside of single combat. They were perfect for teamwork. Even if the stronger guys did leave and go on their own. They could have popped in at any time to get in quick shots and take advantage and do it as a surprise between fighting others. Or Gohan could have been the power hitter for the main group while the other large players went off to take down targets and hopefully not get teamed up on. Which should have happened left and right with more team oriented combat scenarios.

And buu is not overpowered. He could easily be thrown off the ring with the high power levels in the tournament.(The actual strategic use for a strong teammate.) It's his powers/abilities that are strong like leaving himself in parts in the ring and reconstituting possibly. Although his main body being thrown out might get his parts disqualified. He would have had to fight like everyone else. But he has lots of tactics to either fight or help fight stronger people. What is lacking is the difficult enemies to fight outside of pure power users. There barely any strategy so far. Just a few enemies barely using teamwork so they can say it's not all one on one power fighters.

It would have been funny watching him skip around the ring like little red riding hood throwing parts of himself everywhere as he goes. He could have used it to spring attacks on people and try to force them out of the ring. The question is if parts of him go out does he get outed for instance also? Or if half of him goes out of the wring after attacking people does he get disqualified. they could remove him after he looses enough of him self with enemies falling out of the ring for instance. Assuming he uses that much of himself up. that would in turn require more teamwork on the uni 7 side to not make him loose parts of himself to enemies falling off the edge. It also gives more room for the enemy universes to be stronger because they don't need to cowtow to the weaker members. Tehy can all be useful for the abilities not strength in group combat. Having easy to use solar flares going off everyone would be useful and bring up lots of fight scenarios including more about enemy eyesight and difficulty eventually having enemies immune etc.. Hopefully the tournament has an interesting enough ending and purpose to make up for it.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

Trickster
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trickster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:14 pm

[spoiler]
Arugela wrote:
Trickster wrote:
He is very tanky.

He can absorb people.

[/spoiler]

I don't think toryiama wrote anything in the 90's. DB and DBZ were written in the 80's. 8d Although if you mean GT did he write that?(And yes I'm joking around)
The Z part was written between 1989 and 1995.
Sorry for bad english. I'm not fluent in your language, so, if you want to correct some mistake of mine, please do it. I'll be grateful