Do Namekians need sleep?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: Do Namekians need sleep?

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:37 pm

KBABZ wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
worldmonsters wrote:You'd think they might do music, but whisteling already hurts, so why bother at all. Maybe King Piccolo's spawn was in a band though. They are named after instruments after all. WAIT, PICCOLO IS A FLUTE INSTRUMENT :o This makes no goddamn sense. But yeah, Namekians MUST be so boring that they don't even sleep. They MUST be.
I would be down to make a Namekian-themed band with whoever wants to. We'd dress up like Namekians and cover DB insert songs as well as do instrumentals of Kikuchi BGMs.
And that's when the Saiyans drop in doing metal covers of Falcouner music!
So we shoot Makankosappos up their monkey asses.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:41 pm

floofychan333 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
I would be down to make a Namekian-themed band with whoever wants to. We'd dress up like Namekians and cover DB insert songs as well as do instrumentals of Kikuchi BGMs.
And that's when the Saiyans drop in doing metal covers of Falcouner music!
Ow! Like, a normal Ki attack would hurt, but the spiral-drill look of a Makangosappo would be especially painful! :oops:

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:21 pm

KBABZ wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: And that's when the Saiyans drop in doing metal covers of Falcouner music!
Ow! Like, a normal Ki attack would hurt, but the spiral-drill look of a Makangosappo would be especially painful! :oops:
We would, of course, be doing this live on stage. The Saiyajins would be welcome to fight back.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:08 am

Michsi wrote:You know, I sometimes think people take the slug thing a little too seriously? Toriyama literally said he didn't think too hard about it when coming up with the name and only made the connection because of the antennae. I mean, Saiyans aren't vegetables either...
My comment about applying a slug's sleep schedule to Piccolo was more tongue in cheek, really. I just like the idea of Piccolo sleeping while he's "meditating".

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:36 pm

The old Piccolo sleeps (with open eyes) and he eats tons of food too....
Vados Sama!

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:08 pm

heldheld wrote:I know, I know.. Namekians are already the most boring people imaginable; they don't eat, only drink water, have only one gender, they all look alike, no hair, no music, no art in any way, shape or form, the most boring planet ever etc. That planet even has 3 suns so they never even experience nighttime on Namek!! This last point got me thinking though, in my memory I've never seen a Namekian sleeping.. Do they even need sleep? Their homes don't even seem to have beds right? What do you guys think?
Namekians are similar to Plants and Slugs their food comes from the air, the sun, and water, to them that's enough. The Namekians have a lot of differences between them from a biological stand point, they all don't look the same, Dragon Ball has never explored the Namekian culture on a whole, for all we know they have a varied and interesting culture, and their planet was just devastated by a natural disaster which nearly wiped out the Namekians on a whole, and most of the species on a whole. The Namek which we see in the series is a shadow of it's former self.

It depends, I say they'd sleep because sleep is a process which allows us to solidify and consolidate our memories of the day. Sleep's also a process where our body's is revitalized, so I'd say they'd need some sleep, their sleeping patterns would be different. But, at the end of the day Namekians are a species which are capable of turning into the size of a mountain, fusing with one and the other, stretching their limbs and regeneration, so who knows?

heldheld

Post by heldheld » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:07 pm

Pantalones wrote:
Also yeah, they most likely don't poop, since they only need water. Namekians, that eat, probably need to poop though.
I always figured that a species that only lives on water wouldn't even have the parts for making solid waste (unless maybe they evolved from a species that did need to eat/poop and just haven't completely lost that side of their digestive system yet), so instead of pooping a Namekian would sweat out all the impurities from whatever they ate. So they'd just have extra smelly sweat for the next day or so after eating. Piccolo does seem to be shown sweating quite a lot from what I remember, and we know Daimao and Kami both ate, so maybe Piccolo did too until he found out about the "we only need water" thing later on.
I LOL'd at "extra smelly sweat" :lol: :lol:

The strange thing is though that I just started noticing Piccolo eating in several different occasions in Super. What you said about the species evolving but not yet completely losing their digestive system is the most convincing thing I've heard yet, nice one.

heldheld

Post by heldheld » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:09 pm

floofychan333 wrote:I would be down to make a Namekian-themed band with whoever wants to. We'd dress up like Namekians and cover DB insert songs as well as do instrumentals of Kikuchi BGMs.
This is the single BEST idea for a themed band I've ever heard! When do we start? :o

heldheld

Post by heldheld » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:36 pm

Gog wrote:But, at the end of the day Namekians are a species which are capable of turning into the size of a mountain, fusing with one and the other, stretching their limbs and regeneration, so who knows?
When you say it like that they seem pretty awesome! Too bad it's just a trap and they're still boring :lolno:

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:36 pm

heldheld wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:I would be down to make a Namekian-themed band with whoever wants to. We'd dress up like Namekians and cover DB insert songs as well as do instrumentals of Kikuchi BGMs.
This is the single BEST idea for a themed band I've ever heard! When do we start? :o
Whenever we have the financial resources to buy instruments and costume supplies as well as find a bunch of other musicians who want to be in a Dragon Ball band.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:35 am

heldheld wrote:
Gog wrote:But, at the end of the day Namekians are a species which are capable of turning into the size of a mountain, fusing with one and the other, stretching their limbs and regeneration, so who knows?
When you say it like that they seem pretty awesome! Too bad it's just a trap and they're still boring :lolno:
I disagree, Namekians are an interesting race, on a whole they just haven't been explored beyond the surface details. Hell, some of the best characters from the franchise came from the Namekians, Piccolo, God, and Piccolo Jr.

Okora

Post by Okora » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:48 am

KBABZ wrote:Probably not, although I like to imagine that's what Piccolo is doing when he meditates.
He's obviously sleeping

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:43 am

dbgtFO wrote:Pretty sure Krillin and Dende slept, when they were on their way to the Grand Elder's.
Also yeah, they most likely don't poop, since they only need water. Namekians, that eat, probably need to poop though.
The question is how do they poop. Do they have orifices. And since we know they shoot eggs our their mouths does this mean they can't shoot eggs out their bums(like other egg layers) and ergo have to shoot poo out their mouths? Assuming they can't digest and use it all.

Of course there is still that whole original namekians from DB that looked nothing like piccolo... Why doesn't he do that again in the series. He could mass and army for fun. You would think they coudl be useful for training if nothing else. If he's strong enough he could use them to help train the lower players if nothing else.

And the answer is no. That is how they always win and survive. They wait for their enemies to fall asleep then make their move! That is why piccolos move don't need to worry about time.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001