If Cell Were In The ToP Would He Be Able to Fly?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

If Cell Were In The ToP Would He Be Able to Fly?

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:33 am

I mean he does have wings afterall lol.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: If Cell Were In The ToP Would He Be Able to Fly?

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:51 am

I don't think so. Those wings seems to for cosmetic, he never uses them.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

caiojoorge

Post by caiojoorge » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:02 am

No. Those wings are just to remember us that he is a kind of a bug or something

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:31 am

It's ironic that Cell can't utilise his wing like apparatuses to fly when cicadas are known to be capable of flying. Cell is more of a multi-species hybrid of simian, gastropod, saurian, and insectoid qualities than an outright insect, but those appendage accessories do still stand out.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:16 pm

I don't believe it isn't stated he can't use them. He probably used them instead of using the flying technique to reserve more of his energy and be harder to detect with ki/energy sensing when he was in his first form.

Now I think about it, Toriyama could have used it as a plotploint to make him faster against Gohan before he became SPC.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:41 am

Yes
Nothing implies he can't fly with those wings. Why would he use them at cell games when he could fly at relativistic speed via flight technique?
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:08 pm

And if he can't use them to fly nothing says he can't shoot air out his tail thing and use the wings as control surfaces either! 8) It would be simpler for him to use jet like flying than wing based propulsion. He would technically have the equivalent of a vector jet engine in his back potentially. We know he can suck air into it right? Could he push enough air out to maintain flight. He's a potentially light being and that is a big hole with very varied opening. Pretty good for a potential jet engine like physical ability. Unless of course he's sporting some pop out bug wings hidden under those winglets. I still think his back looks more like a personal jet pack though. Maybe it's both. I'm surprised that wasn't used or displayed in DBZ.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:33 pm

No becasue they are not wings.

As seen with these beetles, those sticking out peices of exoskeleton have more in commen with insect wing-cases then actual wings. Thereis only one joint at the base of each andthe range of movement is far to limited. Also the wing-cases is just a solide lump of exoskeleton makeing them very heavy and immobile, the complete oppasite of any ayrodinmanic wings

Even the seemingly solid wings of insects are ver complex as well as light and delecate with a fare greater range of movement from the base joint.

If Cell did try to fly or even glide using them.....well the result would be comical to say the least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN-ZktmjIfE

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:16 pm

I think that's looking too deeply into it. lol

I mean, Rebrianne is able to fly with those tiny wings and fat body, even though if we're to invoke physics, she shouldn't be able to. If the writers wanted to, they could say Cell could fly in the ToP because he has wings.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote:I think that's looking too deeply into it. lol

I mean, Rebrianne is able to fly with those tiny wings and fat body, even though if we're to invoke physics, she shouldn't be able to. If the writers wanted to, they could say Cell could fly in the ToP because he has wings.
Sorry but no I'm not.

Simple put what you asked was can Cell fly with the two slabes of armour plating sticking out his back. The answer I or anyone who knows anything aboutwings will tell you is no. Not only are they mostly emobile but the joints at the base have nowere near the range of movment needed, just look at the fly gif on my last post. Thats how Cell plats who need to move to even behin to create an action needed for fly and he never, ever moved them at that to that digree because A) the joint's cannot reach that far, B) his arms plus their placment make it vertually impossible and C) he has never show that he can move them with enough speed to provide take ofs. Not only that but they are totally the wrong shape for any kind of flight or even gliding.

Also lets no go compearing Cell, a biological robot to Ribrianne, a magical girl. By definistion her powers are not going to confrom to logic or physics. This series has a very hard line between magic and science and Cell falls squarly in the latter. So he must confrom to physics just like every character that has not got wings, because he has none either.

Also if the righters ever did I would call bullsh#t, as would many other for the exact same reasons.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:33 pm

Sure Brianne is magical, but there's a reason why she decided to grow wings, as opposed to just magically flying like Wonder Woman (which she probably can outside this tournament). It's so she could gain actual mechanical aerodynamic flight. With that said, I think the entire point of the flight nullification in the ToP is to nullify any forms of non-mechanical flight, even if it were magical. The point I'm making is, you can have mechanical flight in Dragon Ball without it perfectly aligning with real-world physics. Another notable example is Goku using his tail like a helicopter propeller back in classic Dragon Ball. That shouldn't be possible, but it happened.

I think if Cell were indeed brought back in the ToP, there's a chance the writers would say he could fly solely based on the premise that he has wings. Regardless of the mechanics behind the wings.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:54 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote:Sure Brianne is magical, but there's a reason why she decided to grow wings, as opposed to just magically flying like Wonder Woman (which she probably can outside this tournament). It's so she could gain actual mechanical aerodynamic flight. With that said, I think the entire point of the flight nullification in the ToP is to nullify any forms of non-mechanical flight, even if it were magical. The point I'm making is, you can have mechanical flight in Dragon Ball without it perfectly aligning with real-world physics. Another notable example is Goku using his tail like a helicopter propeller back in classic Dragon Ball. That shouldn't be possible, but it happened.

I think if Cell were indeed brought back in the ToP, there's a chance the writers would say he could fly solely based on the premise that he has wings. Regardless of the mechanics behind the wings.
Sorry but again thats not really a good counter.

Being magical, even if the wings do not provide the correct body mass to wing span ration they can have the potential to break the lores of physics becausee their magic. They could work round the rules becasue they give physcial powered flight beyond their seeming physical limitations because they are magic. Again the Tournamant has a number of loop holes like this so Ribrianne is likely an exeption, not the rule. I'm sorry to say that brining up Goku's tail as a kid is not a really compelling argument ether because that was still the second arc and dragon ball had a number of gag moments that are neverbrought up again later, much like Goku going all the way to the moon with Boss Rabbit despite the fact that if modern Goku tried that he'd die.

Cell comes from a much later part of dragon ball were its rules and tone were well established and Super has not done anything that illogical that would even begin to make me thing they would retcon Cell into organically flying despite the fact he has no wings, only slabs of exoskeleton that predominanatly only ever move as a repsonse to the rest of his muscle movments.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:12 pm

I'll give you a logical way he or anyone else could fly in this tournamant and its got nothing to do with his plates.

Just fire ki from hisfeet like Goku did agaenst Piccolo The rules only prevent standered ki based flight, fireing ki blasts and letting the momentum carry you is not agenst the rules.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:29 pm

As it's been said, Cell doesn't actually have wings. Just a sort of wing shell. So, no, he can't fly with those. They apparently can't even flap about.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:46 pm

Elytra. You're speaking about Cell's elytra (singular, elytron).

That's not for flying, more like wing armor or sheath. Some beetles family, ie. Carabidae, got them fused with the true wings and thus are incapable of flight. I think that's the case with Cell, taking in account that his second form foregoes totally those elytra.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:10 am

It's always possible he has wings under those sheaths. Maybe he just never used them. He's powerful enough as he has flight abilities without them. That or he flies with them and the wing movements are so fast nobody every saw them moving.

Did cell every display the ability to suddenly and mysteriously produce wind towards his enemies or anything. Maybe it's implied he's using wings but they are so fast nobody every sees them.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001