Kefura: When Fandom Characters become canon

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MrUnusual

Kefura: When Fandom Characters become canon

Post by MrUnusual » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:00 pm

--- Spoiler Alert ---

* If you have not seen the preview to Dragon Ball Super Episode 114, please be aware that this thread includes spoilers *

I really think that the Dragon Ball Staff does come in every now and then and take a peak at some fan forums that include some fan created Dragon Ball stories and it inspires them to include similar things in the current story. I posted in this thread https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/190457- ... 532?page=7 back in January talking about a Super Saiyan Female Duo I used to draw back in High School (2005-2006) named Kali and Flora, the 2 were twin sisters and the older sisters of Broly who had been wished back to life in my old fan manga Dragon Ball Future. Kali was a tomboy Saiyan who loved to fight and Flora was more sensitive and kindhearted, they both could become Super Saiyans and attempted to help the Z fighters with taking out Broly again, but had a hard time. Goten and Trunks then taught them the fusion dance and they became Kaliflora

Back in May, when I heard about Kale and Caulifla, I felt like they kind of stole my idea lol. Except those 2 were not related to Broly (Except Kale being extremely similar to him), the name puns even came from the same thing, the fact that there were 2 of them and the fact that they could both transform into Super Saiyans, me, my brother an some friends had a laugh about it and then I joked that it would be even crazier if they had the 2 fuse.

Then this happens -_-

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBtgK6rAhU8[/spoiler]

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Re: Kefura: When Fandom Characters become canon

Post by Zillamon51 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:20 am

Professional content creators tend to steer clear of fan fiction. If they were to incorporate similar ideas into their work, they could be sued. It's for this same reason that production companies don't accept unsolicited scripts / pitches / story treatments from random people.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:50 pm

I made up a Saiyan character called Calyfla a while back and everyone got mad because I posted that I'd come up with it, though I never said my idea was the direct influence to the show or anything. Generally this is frowned upon, but I think it's cool when our ideas become reality, though the writers would never directly use our ideas if they knew about them.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:04 am

Coincidences are funny.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:58 pm

It's hard to come up with completely new things after being gone for 20 years while fans are coming up with everything that they could've had the franchise not stopped.

The franchise is clearly catering to fans now unlike before but I think you having the same idea as those 2 is just a funny coincidence. Back before BT2 I thought it would be great to see a final flash and Kamehameha combination and a few month later I got it which is a similar thing to your's.

It's their franchise that you're writing and coming up with ideas for so you won't have much ground to stand on as no one forced you to give them ideas. EVEN if they could get in trouble, you'd have to prove it wasn't a coincidence so good luck with that. Red and Blue Ssjs have been a thing for as long as I can remember yet now they're official so can the people who came up with them years ago go after Toriyama for using the same concept ? no.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.