Broly's biggest default

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Broly's biggest default

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:45 am

I think Broly's biggest default is his objective, he doesn't have any goal apart from destroying stuff. If you could give him a new goal, what would it be?
Last edited by BrolyKale on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

User avatar
wolflonnie
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Re: Broly's biggest default

Post by wolflonnie » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:50 am

Find a job, a wife and provide for their kids.

User avatar
BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Re: Broly's biggest default

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:54 am

wolflonnie wrote:Find a job, a wife and provide for their kids.
Really...? that's what you would like to see?
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

User avatar
TheMikado
I Live Here
Posts: 4866
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:28 pm

Re: Broly's biggest default

Post by TheMikado » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:02 am

BrolyKale wrote:I think Broly's biggest default is his objective, he doesn't have any goal apart from destroying stuff. If you could give him a new goal, what would it be?
love of destruction and slaughter
That is his job and consistent with the original SSJ legend.

User avatar
wolflonnie
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Re: Broly's biggest default

Post by wolflonnie » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:04 am

Nah I'm just joking, though that would be funny.
Anyway... I do think that his main goal and motivations fit him quite well. He's a violent psycho, so he doesn't really need any kind of depth, just some kind of event that made him psychotic, and I find Goku's crying quite original in that regard. It's a very stupid motivation, but because it's stupid, for me it works.
I'm no Broly fan but I do think that his characterization is coherent already.

Kale, on the other end, is a very different character, she works differently because she's not a violent psycho... well, not completely.

User avatar
BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Re: Broly's biggest default

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:19 am

TheMikado wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:I think Broly's biggest default is his objective, he doesn't have any goal apart from destroying stuff. If you could give him a new goal, what would it be?
love of destruction and slaughter
That is his job and consistent with the original SSJ legend.
I know that's his job, he is a bloodthirsty warrior but a lot of people don't like it for some reason and find it dumb. So I was curious to see what people would like to change about him...
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 3056
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Broly's biggest default

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:44 am

BrolyKale wrote:I know that's his job, he is a bloodthirsty warrior but a lot of people don't like it for some reason and find it dumb. So I was curious to see what people would like to change about him...
I don't think it's dumb but it does make him a fairly flat, generic villain on his own. Personally what I would do is just toss Paragus' useless ass completely and have Broly plan to subjugate the Universe on his own to demonstrate Saiyan superiority. It's still not much to work with and pretty by-the-numbers as movie villains go, but it gives him something. Broly has surprisingly little personal investment in the plot of his own movie.

User avatar
BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Re: Broly's biggest default

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:20 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:I know that's his job, he is a bloodthirsty warrior but a lot of people don't like it for some reason and find it dumb. So I was curious to see what people would like to change about him...
I don't think it's dumb but it does make him a fairly flat, generic villain on his own. Personally what I would do is just toss Paragus' useless ass completely and have Broly plan to subjugate the Universe on his own to demonstrate Saiyan superiority. It's still not much to work with and pretty by-the-numbers as movie villains go, but it gives him something. Broly has surprisingly little personal investment in the plot of his own movie.
Interesting. But do you really think a violent Saiyan like Broly would like to conquer the universe? he doesn't care about anything... Broly & Paragus worked so well together in the first movie, Paragus had his plans and Broly had power, but Broly without his father is just a killing machine. And it'd be the same with Kale, if you take Caulifla away from Kale she would be bland and not interesting at all.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 3056
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Broly's biggest default

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:46 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:I know that's his job, he is a bloodthirsty warrior but a lot of people don't like it for some reason and find it dumb. So I was curious to see what people would like to change about him...
I don't think it's dumb but it does make him a fairly flat, generic villain on his own. Personally what I would do is just toss Paragus' useless ass completely and have Broly plan to subjugate the Universe on his own to demonstrate Saiyan superiority. It's still not much to work with and pretty by-the-numbers as movie villains go, but it gives him something. Broly has surprisingly little personal investment in the plot of his own movie.
Interesting. But do you really think a violent Saiyan like Broly would like to conquer the universe? he doesn't care about anything... Broly & Paragus worked so well together in the first movie, Paragus had his plans and Broly had power, but Broly without his father is just a killing machine. And it'd be the same with Kale, if you take Caulifla away from Kale she would be bland and not interesting at all.
Well that's the thing about Broly. If you give him any kind of motivation outside killing, fighting, and causing destruction, he's not the same character because that's all he does. He doesn't care about Paragus' plans at all and wasn't even supposed to fight the heroes at all. I'm saying I think Broly would be better if he was given more agency as a character and some kind of motivation beyond blowing stuff up. As it is he's basically Paragus' rampaging pet dragon.

User avatar
Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: S.E. Michigan
Contact:

Re: Broly's biggest default

Post by Zillamon51 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:11 am

Instead of being selfishly and short-sightedly tossed aside, a child with Broly's potential should have been raised up to liberate the Saiyan race by destroying Frieza.

Would Babidi's mind control work better on him than Paragas' gizmo?

Perhaps he could have been trained by Whis as a potential future GoD. Maybe angelic intervention could help get his rage issues under control.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: Broly's biggest default

Post by rereboy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:13 am

BrolyKale wrote:I think Broly's biggest default is his objective, he doesn't have any goal apart from destroying stuff. If you could give him a new goal, what would it be?
Not at all, that's his whole point. He is a no messing around, no holding back, no BS, straight up evil, savage Saiyan that embodies the love for destruction and violence of his race. And he is great and memorable at it. Honestly, I believe that those who would take that from him besides in a mere "what if" scenario just don't get him.

User avatar
BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Re: Broly's biggest default

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:19 am

rereboy wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:I think Broly's biggest default is his objective, he doesn't have any goal apart from destroying stuff. If you could give him a new goal, what would it be?
Not at all, that's his whole point. He is a no messing around, no holding back, no BS, straight up evil, savage Saiyan that embodies the love for destruction and violence of his race. And he is great and memorable at it. Honestly, I believe that those who would take that from him besides in a mere "what if" scenario just don't get him.
Well... a lot of people find him bland because he just detroys stuff for no reason and want to change him, but they don't seem to understand that this is what makes Broly if you take it away from him it won't be Broly anymore but another character.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

rereboy
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10261
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: Broly's biggest default

Post by rereboy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:48 am

BrolyKale wrote:
rereboy wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:I think Broly's biggest default is his objective, he doesn't have any goal apart from destroying stuff. If you could give him a new goal, what would it be?
Not at all, that's his whole point. He is a no messing around, no holding back, no BS, straight up evil, savage Saiyan that embodies the love for destruction and violence of his race. And he is great and memorable at it. Honestly, I believe that those who would take that from him besides in a mere "what if" scenario just don't get him.
Well... a lot of people find him bland because he just detroys stuff for no reason and want to change him, but they don't seem to understand that this is what makes Broly if you take it away from him it won't be Broly anymore but another character.
A lot of people should realize that there's different kinds and types of characters to enjoy and that not all of them have to be the same kind. If they want characters with more motivations and such, there are other characters and villains in Dragon Ball to enjoy.

User avatar
BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Re: Broly's biggest default

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:46 am

rereboy wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
rereboy wrote:
Not at all, that's his whole point. He is a no messing around, no holding back, no BS, straight up evil, savage Saiyan that embodies the love for destruction and violence of his race. And he is great and memorable at it. Honestly, I believe that those who would take that from him besides in a mere "what if" scenario just don't get him.
Well... a lot of people find him bland because he just detroys stuff for no reason and want to change him, but they don't seem to understand that this is what makes Broly if you take it away from him it won't be Broly anymore but another character.
A lot of people should realize that there's different kinds and types of characters to enjoy and that not all of them have to be the same kind. If they want characters with more motivations and such, there are other characters and villains in Dragon Ball to enjoy.
That's true. But it saddens me to see people repeating the same thing about this character on the internet, like "so much wasted potentiel...", "it'd have been better if broly was like that", or "i wish he had more personality"... they just want to change everything about him and if you change everything about him you get something like Kale... and people still don't like it lol
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Post Reply