If given the chance would Goku divorce Chi Chi?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Re: If given the chance would Goku divorce Chi Chi?

Post by Tombstone1988 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:20 pm

That would require Goku actually knowing what "divorce" is.

Even then, no. Who else would be willing to put up with the monster that is Goku's stomach?
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Tombstone1988 wrote:That would require Goku actually knowing what "divorce" is.
Probably something that ruins whatever he's eating.

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:12 am

Tombstone1988 wrote:That would require Goku actually knowing what "divorce" is.

Even then, no. Who else would be willing to put up with the monster that is Goku's stomach?
Who do you think was doing that before he got married and from Toriyama's recent interview, we find out that saiyans have no preferences on food, it just needs to be edible so Goku probably won't care about the taste. I forgot to mention he has king kai to feed him.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Goku's family life might be unconventional but let's not act like he's a selfish man who doesn't love anybody. He was ready to give up against Beerus, until he saw a vision of Chi Chi screaming for him. Then his next vision was everybody else at once. Meaning Chi Chi by herself takes precedence over Kuririn, both his sons, his master, and Vegeta, and the rest of his friends, not to mention himself, all at once. Goku's spirit and battle lust had run out by that point, he knew Beerus was much too powerful. It was the vision of Chi Chi that gave him the will power to surpass his limits and summon Super Saiyan God at will.

Goku is like a puppy. He doesn't necessarily need others to be around to be happy, if something catches his interest, he'll leave. But never doubt his ultimate devotion to those he loves.

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:07 pm

nickzambuto wrote:Goku's family life might be unconventional but let's not act like he's a selfish man who doesn't love anybody. He was ready to give up against Beerus, until he saw a vision of Chi Chi screaming for him. Then his next vision was everybody else at once. Meaning Chi Chi by herself takes precedence over Kuririn, both his sons, his master, and Vegeta, and the rest of his friends, not to mention himself, all at once. Goku's spirit and battle lust had run out by that point, he knew Beerus was much too powerful. It was the vision of Chi Chi that gave him the will power to surpass his limits and summon Super Saiyan God at will.

Goku is like a puppy. He doesn't necessarily need others to be around to be happy, if something catches his interest, he'll leave. But never doubt his ultimate devotion to those he loves.
You do know that the scenario your talking about never happened in the anime right.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:59 pm

I feel it is important to remember that Goku is an alien living on Earth, and not only is he an alien, but he's also lived the majority of his life away from what we'd consider a normal, civilised society. It isn't really fair to judge him by our standards.

He didn't know what marriage was initially, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was unaware of the concept of divorce.

All that being said, I've always felt he does love Chi-Chi in his own "way". If he knew that divorce was an option, I still don't think he would take it up.

I'd be more inclined to question why Chi-Chi is still with Goku, if anything, but I suppose the answer is love!
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Khandom101 wrote:Well, from my personal point of view yes, he would divorce her. My reasoning is that I think Goku's asexual and personally he has no attachment to his wife other than the children they spawned together. They have a very unhealthy relationship in the series and have nothing personal in common. If I were Toriyama, I would have had Goku divorce Chi Chi (the screeching old hag) a long time ago. What do you guys think? Would Goku divorce Chi Chi?
No. She makes him great food.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:48 pm

Khandom101 wrote: You do know that the scenario your talking about never happened in the anime right.
Wasn't Toriyama more involved in the the movie than the anime? Personally I take what ever he had more a hand in as canon, but that's just me.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:51 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:
Khandom101 wrote: You do know that the scenario your talking about never happened in the anime right.
Wasn't Toriyama more involved in the the movie than the anime? Personally I take what ever he had more a hand in as canon, but that's just me.
I agree, to me the "ultra-top-trump" hierarchy is Dragon Ball manga, BoG & RoF, then the Super anime. But then... doesn't Toriyama also have a hand in the manga? Augh, so confusing!

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:30 pm

my headcanon is that goku only puts up with chichi cause of goten. Thats why EoZ when goten is nearly 18 and can do his own thing, goku fucks off with uub.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:43 pm

It happened in the movie, which for all intents and purpose was the original version of that arc. (We have *THREE* versions of Battle of Gods now, ffs).

And absolutely not. I never understood comments like
BlueVegerot wrote:my headcanon is that goku only puts up with chichi cause of goten. Thats why EoZ when goten is nearly 18 and can do his own thing, goku fucks off with uub.
this. I honestly believe Goku loves Chichi and he's not some one-note moron like TFS and (sometimes) Super portrays him as who only thinks about fighting.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:43 pm

KBABZ wrote: I agree, to me the "ultra-top-trump" hierarchy is Dragon Ball manga, BoG & RoF, then the Super anime. But then... doesn't Toriyama also have a hand in the manga? Augh, so confusing!
I think when it comes to super you could choose between the 2, as he's not necessarily "directly" involved in either. He provides a base for both the anime and manga but ultimately it's up to toei and toyotaro to fill in the gaps.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:51 pm

Khandom101 wrote: dusty old bat
Khandom101 wrote:the screeching old hag
You sound like you've got some hidden pent up aggression there buddy.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:00 pm

As long as she keeps cooking for him Goku couldn't give a flying #&@%.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:26 pm

What the heck? Of course not lol. Goku isn't even that bad he is pretty much saving the world all the time and Chi Chi loves him to death.

Is he the best husband? No, not really, but it's pretty much set in stone they'll be together forever.

As for Goku's side, he loves her so much as well. He honestly has no interest in anyone else either and doesn't operate in this function of wanting to break up or whatever. He's happy with his current spouse.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:11 pm

Nope. Goku prefers guts and Chi chi in her first appearance killed a Dinosaur.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:02 pm

Saw the "Goku divorce Chichi".
Rolled eyes in anticipation.
Slightly surprised OP didn't throw in GokuxCaulifla in there (would not have been the first time).

That all said, I agree that Goku and Chichi have a unique but real bond that neither would break. Goku isn't the kind to cut relationships. HFIL, he's bridged relationships with several enemies that were all trying to kill him at one point or another.

The only reason people can come up with for Goku leaving Chichi, is their own head canon.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:17 am

Jackalope89 wrote:Saw the "Goku divorce Chichi".
Slightly surprised OP didn't throw in GokuxCaulifla in there (would not have been the first time).

That all said, I agree that Goku and Chichi have a unique but real bond that neither would break. Goku isn't the kind to cut relationships. HFIL, he's bridged relationships with several enemies that were all trying to kill him at one point or another.

The only reason people can come up with for Goku leaving Chichi, is their own head canon.
That or people take DBA seriously. That is just a fan parody of the show and some people that to be the truth. I would make jokes about this topic but I'm never serious about it. This is the something as Piccolo is Gohan's true father thing that came DBA as well.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:51 pm

majinwarman wrote:

That or people take DBA seriously. That is just a fan parody of the show and some people that to be the truth. I would make jokes about this topic but I'm never serious about it. This is the something as Piccolo is Gohan's true father thing that came DBA as well.
True. My cousin, who is about 5 years younger then I am, got into the Dragon Ball franchise recently, including Super.

But rather then watch DBZ or DBZ Kai along with DBZA, he sticks with DBZ Abridged, only. So, yeah. I've seen that kind of thing before. :(

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:36 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:

True. My cousin, who is about 5 years younger then I am, got into the Dragon Ball franchise recently, including Super.

But rather then watch DBZ or DBZ Kai along with DBZA, he sticks with DBZ Abridged, only. So, yeah. I've seen that kind of thing before. :(
I have a watched all the Dragon Ball shows in both English and Japanese in my life and I'm not that old. People need to stop being lazy and watch the show and don't relay on parodies to get your facts from.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.