Are Saiyans rapists?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Are Saiyans rapists?

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:41 pm

It seems U7 Saiyans were probably up to no good.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Are Saiyans rapists?

Post by theherodjl » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:07 pm

I don't think so. U7 Saiyans don't seem to prioritize sexuality or show signs of sexual depravity, at least from the Saiyans seen in the manga & anime. The Saiyans of Planet Vegeta were still monsters but not perverse destroyers of innocence, though its possible some Saiyans may have been rapists.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:41 pm

Probably. I think low class female Saiyans were kept in the Planet, perhaps in captivity, for reproductional ends, willingfuly or not.

I can see Vegeta raping aliens while wrecking havoc trought civilizations in name of Freeza, too.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:17 pm

That's one of those things you're really not meant to think about in this children's series for children.

At least we can take comfort in the fact that the show seems to present Saiyans, male and female alike as fairly asexual.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:35 pm

I'm sure some of them are, just as some humans are.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:58 pm

All of those chemical hormones coursing through their bodies as they fight must heighten their aggressiveness, both physically and sexually. The Saiyan species is definitely an alpha male society. One of the most important aspects to said society is breeding. It wouldn't surprise me if the Saiyans did violate not only women from their own group but other species as well. Nappa's proposal about creating a new Saiyan-hybrid species from just himself and Vegeta sounds like it would have entailed a lot of sexual activity. I doubt the women of Earth would have been consensual in mating with these aggressive alien barbarians. Keep in mind those two are supposed to be from the aristocracy of Planet Vegeta -- that would entail access to more education and higher standards of etiquette.

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:26 pm

What? What kind of question is this?

No, they're not rapists because this is a show made for 11 year olds, lol.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:06 am

They probably were, including the females. The saiyans were all equally depraved and remorseless. Sex isn't something that they did often, but when they did, I doubt any of the genocidal sadists would have had qualms about forcing themselves onto somebody.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:28 am

Asura wrote:What? What kind of question is this?

And yet Nappa had no problem suggesting they go mate with a bunch of Earth women, like Lionel above you points out. Wouldn't be hard to imagine they wouldn't take no for an answer, if they decided to do it, much like didn't give them a chance to live upon arriving on Earth.
And this is a series filled with violence and death, rape being implied in that context shouldn't be that surprising, even if society is skewed towards being more open to seeing brutal murders, than rapes in media.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:37 am

I'd say so. They had no issues wiping out entire populations on planets, it's unlikely they'd draw the line at rape.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:58 am

dbgtFO wrote:

And yet Nappa had no problem suggesting they go mate with a bunch of Earth women, like Lionel above you points out. Wouldn't be hard to imagine they wouldn't take no for an answer, if they decided to do it, much like didn't give them a chance to live upon arriving on Earth.
And this is a series filled with violence and death, rape being implied in that context shouldn't be that surprising, even if society is skewed towards being more open to seeing brutal murders, than rapes in media.

I dont remember this at all....

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:46 am

Professor Freeza wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:

I dont remember this at all....
It was actually only in the manga, the anime skipped it.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:17 pm

Considering that the Saiyans were always said to have a very low population, they probably weren't constantly raping each other for the purposes of making babies. Or constantly raping each other and accidentally making babies as a result. It seems like actual long-term relationships among Saiyans on Planet Vegeta were rare (Bardock and Gine's situation is described as being unusual) so I imagine there's not many Saiyans who know both of their parents or have anything similar to the standard human family, but the low population definitely suggests that Saiyans either don't have sex (consensual or otherwise) very often or that they have low fertility rates. And considering how quickly every single Saiyan/human couple seems to have a baby after getting together (even Chi-Chi and Goku... who thought marriage was a food and probably never had any idea his genitals could be used for anything but peeing), I'd say low fertility is not the issue... so Saiyans probably just aren't interested in doing a lot of baby-making activities. 9 times out of 10 they'd rather be fighting. And the Saiyan mindset wants a good fight to test their strength, we see it over and over again with Goku and Vegeta either letting enemies survive to grow stronger or outright letting them reach higher forms when the lower form wasn't strong enough to satisfy them -- that's basically the opposite of a rapist who wants to easily overpower their victim in order to get what they want from them, whether they like it or not.

For all we know, Saiyan mating could be something that usually happens in Oozaru form. Which would also contribute to the lack of relationships and most Saiyans not knowing both of their parents, considering that most Saiyans can't control themselves when transformed and don't even remember what they might have done while the moon was out. Maybe some Oozaru rape happens, but that would be a little different than Saiyans consciously choosing to rape each other, since they're mindless rampaging monsters in that form unless they've trained to control it.

And the idea that Vegeta was out there randomly raping aliens as he wiped out their planets has always seemed ridiculous to me. Like the kind of thing that someone who made those fansubs where every other word was an F-bomb would come up with just to make things more "adult/edgy." Vegeta never came across as being interested in any kind of sexual activity (consensual or not) before Bulma, he wasn't interested in Nappa's idea of repopulating their race by interbreeding with humans on Earth, and it's probably safe to say that what happened between him and Bulma was initiated by Bulma. If there's any Saiyan I'd suspect of that sort of thing it would be Nappa, since he was the one to suggest interbreeding with Earth's women after all.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:18 pm

Watched a video a while back, either from MasakoX or Geekdom101 (can't remember which, and can't find the video right off hand), but with sources shown in the video, it showed, barring Bardock, Gine, and probably Vegeta's parents, that Saiyans mated, then went their separate ways. More eager to get back to fighting then anything else. And once conceived, the baby/fetus/whatever is put into that tank that was shown in Dragon Ball Minus for the Saiyan babies to grow and develop in.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Pantalones wrote:Considering that the Saiyans were always said to have a very low population, they probably weren't constantly raping each other for the purposes of making babies. Or constantly raping each other and accidentally making babies as a result. It seems like actual long-term relationships among Saiyans on Planet Vegeta were rare (Bardock and Gine's situation is described as being unusual) so I imagine there's not many Saiyans who know both of their parents or have anything similar to the standard human family, but the low population definitely suggests that Saiyans either don't have sex (consensual or otherwise) very often or that they have low fertility rates. And considering how quickly every single Saiyan/human couple seems to have a baby after getting together (even Chi-Chi and Goku... who thought marriage was a food and probably never had any idea his genitals could be used for anything but peeing), I'd say low fertility is not the issue... so Saiyans probably just aren't interested in doing a lot of baby-making activities. 9 times out of 10 they'd rather be fighting. And the Saiyan mindset wants a good fight to test their strength, we see it over and over again with Goku and Vegeta either letting enemies survive to grow stronger or outright letting them reach higher forms when the lower form wasn't strong enough to satisfy them -- that's basically the opposite of a rapist who wants to easily overpower their victim in order to get what they want from them, whether they like it or not.

For all we know, Saiyan mating could be something that usually happens in Oozaru form. Which would also contribute to the lack of relationships and most Saiyans not knowing both of their parents, considering that most Saiyans can't control themselves when transformed and don't even remember what they might have done while the moon was out. Maybe some Oozaru rape happens, but that would be a little different than Saiyans consciously choosing to rape each other, since they're mindless rampaging monsters in that form unless they've trained to control it.

And the idea that Vegeta was out there randomly raping aliens as he wiped out their planets has always seemed ridiculous to me. Like the kind of thing that someone who made those fansubs where every other word was an F-bomb would come up with just to make things more "adult/edgy." Vegeta never came across as being interested in any kind of sexual activity (consensual or not) before Bulma, he wasn't interested in Nappa's idea of repopulating their race by interbreeding with humans on Earth, and it's probably safe to say that what happened between him and Bulma was initiated by Bulma. If there's any Saiyan I'd suspect of that sort of thing it would be Nappa, since he was the one to suggest interbreeding with Earth's women after all.
Could go by half-Saiyans (seems equal between Gohan/Videl and Future Trunks/Mai), but I agree.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:12 pm

No, I don't think so. The only thing close to "rapist" is Roshi. Saiyans are aggressive just like Freezer or any other villains in dbz, but I doubt they rape people.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:12 am

Dragon Ball being a kids' series says "no." Realism regrettably says "probably, yes."

Nappa was even excited over the potential for human-Saiyan hybrids to be stronger than pure Saiyans, and I doubt he was talking about finding Mrs. Right.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:08 am

Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball being a kids' series says "no." Realism regrettably says "probably, yes."

Nappa was even excited over the potential for human-Saiyan hybrids to be stronger than pure Saiyans, and I doubt he was talking about finding Mrs. Right.
Maybe Nappa's far more of a gentleman that we initially thought.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:38 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:Maybe Nappa's far more of a gentleman that we initially thought.
Alternate timeline Nappa dating arc when?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:12 am

Oh they were definitely rapists, I wouldn't be surprised if inbreeding/incest were a frequent thing too since Saiyan's have no concept of family (besides Minus Bardock but we don't speak of him).
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):