Goku and Freeza

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Goku and Freeza

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:57 pm

Honestly, did anyone ever expect this moment? The greatest villain of the series and the Hero fighting together at last.

This was so awesome.

Bullza
Banned

Re: Goku and Freeza

Post by Bullza » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:21 am

I sort of expected it. Ever since that Dragon Ball Heroes opening where they showed Goku and Frieza fighting Jiren, I had a feeling something like it would happen. It was too good of an opportunity for it to not happen.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:09 am

What really made this scene for me was them having Goku be in his regular Ssj form, the form he used to previously take Freeza down. I cannot wait to see what they do with Freeza moving forward. :clap:

This ending could've really caused the fanbase to flip out but somehow they managed to get everything, even the smallest detail like the above right. :clap:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:27 am

sintzu wrote:What really made this scene for me was them having Goku be in his regular Ssj form, the form he used to previously take Freeza down. I cannot wait to see what they do with Freeza moving forward. :clap:

This ending could've really caused the fanbase to flip out but somehow they managed to get everything, even the smallest detail like the above right. :clap:
That and the fact that they did something that Goku and Vegeta couldn't - worked in perfect synch!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:02 am

The anime spent a good amount of time building such a wonderful dynamic between Goku and Freeza, that it made them teaming up such a satisfying and and organic conclusion for not just Freeza's character arc, but also for the Tournament Of Power as a whole.

EDIT: And it looked visually stunning too. :thumbup:
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:28 am

Frieza and Goku even had a Gimli / Aragorn "Toss me!!" moment. I loved every second - have watched this fight like 20 times already.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:32 am

Having this very dynamic in the final episode meant things came full-circle for me, in a way. When I started my Dragon Ball journey back in 2000, it was when these two behemoths were fighting each other on Planet Namek. So to see them working together like this was surreal and nostalgic.

Also, when Goku said he'd defeat Freeza again if he tried anything, I loved that it showed the same group of characters that fought Freeza back on Namek in the first place!
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Sonofman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Sonofman » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:59 pm

That's kind of a spoiler to me, but I'm excited to watch the episode! :D To be fair, Frieza and Goku make the best duo fighters IMO, since Vegeta is always trying to get ahead of Goku all the time, plus he never desires to work in a team.
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul" - Hebrews 6:19

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:25 pm

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:Having this very dynamic in the final episode meant things came full-circle for me, in a way. When I started my Dragon Ball journey back in 2000, it was when these two behemoths were fighting each other on Planet Namek. So to see them working together like this was surreal and nostalgic.
I have to second this as someone who came to the Dragon Ball scene right before the confrontation between Freeza and the gang during Kai's run.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:17 am

Professor Freeza wrote:Image

Honestly, did anyone ever expect this moment? The greatest villain of the series and the Hero fighting together at last.

This was so awesome.
You know, if you showed that scene to someone out of context, they'd probably think it was fanfic-y bullshit. "Goku and Freeza teaming up? Hah, what next, Gohan and Cell?" And yet it's a credit to the way this arc handled the two of them that we could get to this point and have it feel totally organic and believable.

They really have elevated the characterisation of Freeza and his relationship with Goku here. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:25 am

Kataphrut wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:Image

This was so awesome.
You know, if you showed that scene to someone out of context, they'd probably think it was fanfic-y bullshit. "Goku and Freeza teaming up? Hah, what next, Gohan and Cell?" And yet it's a credit to the way this arc handled the two of them that we could get to this point and have it feel totally organic and believable.

They really have elevated the characterisation of Freeza and his relationship with Goku here. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it.
This is why ToP is the best arc in all of DB after Namek. Its fleshed out so many things organically.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:44 am

sintzu wrote:What really made this scene for me was them having Goku be in his regular Ssj form, the form he used to previously take Freeza down. I cannot wait to see what they do with Freeza moving forward. :clap:

They also had Freeza in base so I am sure that was the point they were trying to make/homage to.

From the fantastic pre ToP Freeza stuff they didn't disappoint with what a lot of folks would have and did call a dumb plot point (Freeza being the last member) before we saw it develop.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:10 pm

It's odd yet so satisfying how in sync their fighting was against Jiren. Gave me feelings of Naruto and Sasuke vs Momoshiki in the Boruto movie watching it.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."