Dragon Ball Timelines Revisited

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Timelines Revisited

Post by shadowfox87 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:24 am

ekrolo2 wrote:I still don't get why there's another Future Trunks timelines. Cell's arrival makes another one but this time line can't survive long enough to facilitate a Future Trunks of its own, by all rights Cell should grow back to a world where Goku is still dead from the virus and the Android duo has started wrecking things only to get absorbed by him.
Which timeline are you talking about? The timeline that's created from Cell going to the past? That's the former main timeline, Timeline 6. Cell only chose to go back 1 year before the settings that were on the time machine from when Trunks went back. He didn't know exactly what year to go back. Otherwise, you're right, it would've been smarter for Cell to go back in time of the future timeline where the Androids were alive and Goku died of a heart virus.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:56 am

shadowfox87 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I still don't get why there's another Future Trunks timelines. Cell's arrival makes another one but this time line can't survive long enough to facilitate a Future Trunks of its own, by all rights Cell should grow back to a world where Goku is still dead from the virus and the Android duo has started wrecking things only to get absorbed by him.
Which timeline are you talking about? The timeline that's created from Cell going to the past? That's the former main timeline, Timeline 6. Cell only chose to go back 1 year before the settings that were on the time machine from when Trunks went back. He didn't know exactly what year to go back. Otherwise, you're right, it would've been smarter for Cell to go back in time of the future timeline where the Androids were alive and Goku died of a heart virus.
I'm talking about the mechanics behind the timelines period.

Cell's is the original one, from there, Future Trunks causes the initial split and makes the unseen timeline. Now there's 2. Cell makes a third one, the main timeline by killing Future Trunks and arriving a year before Freeza & Cold show up, where does another Future Trunks timeline come from? Cell's very presence should cause the destruction of Earth, making it impossible for another Future Trunks scenario spinning off from the main timeline to occur.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:42 am

ekrolo2 wrote: I'm talking about the mechanics behind the timelines period.

Cell's is the original one, from there, Future Trunks causes the initial split and makes the unseen timeline. Now there's 2. Cell makes a third one, the main timeline by killing Future Trunks and arriving a year before Freeza & Cold show up, where does another Future Trunks timeline come from? Cell's very presence should cause the destruction of Earth, making it impossible for another Future Trunks scenario spinning off from the main timeline to occur.
Timelines are created when a paradox is created which is when usually someone travels to the past. When Trunks returns to the future timeline, he returns BEFORE he is killed, therefore, he returned to the past of the future timeline, and hence created a new timeline and fork. All this is explained in the first thread.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:18 am

shadowfox87 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: I'm talking about the mechanics behind the timelines period.

Timelines are created when a paradox is created which is when usually someone travels to the past. When Trunks returns to the future timeline, he returns BEFORE he is killed, therefore, he returned to the past of the future timeline, and hence created a new timeline and fork. All this is explained in the first thread.
I still don't get what you mean, how did Trunks arrive to the past before he is killed when Cell already split the time line by arriving a year ahead of him. There should be no Trunks to time travel for this time line since events would prevent him from existing.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:46 am

ekrolo2 wrote: I still don't get what you mean, how did Trunks arrive to the past before he is killed when Cell already split the time line by arriving a year ahead of him. There should be no Trunks to time travel for this time line since events would prevent him from existing.
Cell killed Trunks in the future in Age 788 but the Trunks goes back to the past is in Age 785. So therefore, Cell killing Trunks in the future doesn't prevent a Trunks from going to the past 3 years ago. This Trunks that went to the past created the "Unseen" Timeline in which there is no Cell. Then, Cell takes the time machine and travels to the past 1 year prior to Trunks, to create another split, which is the former main timeline. There is now a Trunks both in the Unseen Timeline and also in the main timeline in which Cell created. The one from the Unseen Timeline is the one that gets killed by Cell. The one in the main timeline is the one that stays and trains with Vegeta in the ROSAT. This Trunks then goes back to the future to Age 785 which is 3 years before Cell arrives, thus creating a new future timeline.

zade287

Post by zade287 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:55 pm

can I know how goku (super) identifyed bojack,cooler and turles in DBH
you said that turles , bojack and cooler are from other timelines
so,how did the goku from the first timeline identifyed turles , bojack and cooler

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu May 28, 2020 5:01 pm

zade287 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:55 pm can I know how goku (super) identifyed bojack,cooler and turles in DBH
so,how did the goku from the first timeline identifyed turles , bojack and cooler
Hey man, for future reference I'm pretty sure the mods don't like necroposting, this original thread was from 2018. But personally I thought it was great and should be stickied.

Anyway the damage is done to answer your questions.

1. GT didn't happen and isn't canon.
2. Heroes "probably isn't canon" (no one has come out and said it is.)
3. We know from the number of time rings in super these other timelines can't all exist.

I personally have the following headcanon untill it's contradicted or the heroes manga does something really stupid.
the U12 changed timeline happened a very long time ago, a butterfly effect means the dragonballs and saiyan biology ended up different. A GT-esque ensues, this is where the time patrol characters come from.
For the super timeline, the non canon villians did attack in previously unseen adventures, but it didn't play out exactly like the movies. All we know is Goku recognises Turles and Vegeta recognises Bojack, everything else about the movies events could have been different.

Alternativly the Heroes Super timeline is the unseen timeline if it's not the canon one. And Trunks is the duplicate Trunks that was in the timeline made for the Trunks in Super.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 29, 2020 3:46 pm

zade287 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:55 pmhow did the goku from the first timeline identifyed turles , bojack and cooler
Just a mistake from Toei. It seems they don't know the rules of the alternate dimension concept. We should ignore these things, as Toei's continuity is not the main one anyway.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri May 29, 2020 4:55 pm

DB's attempt at establishing a multiverse has always been a little lacking. The aptly-named "Dragonball Multiverse" fan manga has done a much better job at acknowledging the various characters & events that have occurred over the years than the actual franchise has. DBS might have set up the 12 universes as being the series' definition of a multiverse but it doesn't really acknowledge much of the stuff that has come before and seemingly treats other timelines as being separate multiverses from their own multiverse. Its just a bit of a clusterfuck and pales in comparison to how Marvel & DC have written multiverse theory.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Sun May 31, 2020 9:30 pm

zade287 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:55 pm can I know how goku (super) identifyed bojack,cooler and turles in DBH
Well, the events of the main timeline (canon) are what's going on in the DBS manga with Moro. The Moro arc followed the Broly movie. As for SDBH, it started with the Prison Arc which came after the ToP. The events that are happening in SDBH are quite different and not once have we actually seen the DBS Broly. If you remember, there were 2 unseen timelines - one was Timeline 5 (created by the unknown U12 time traveler) and then there was Timeline 4 (the one where Future Trunks left with the blueprints). I did manage to fit all the original 13 movies in those timelines without contradicting the main timeline. The GT timeline fits with the Timeline 5 (which we have never seen). It's possible then that the Goku and Vegeta that knew Turles, Bojack, and Cooler are from Timeline 4 and not Timeline 1.

Remind you this is all just theory and conjecture. It's hard enough to make sense of all the different things that happen in DB with different writers. However, the number of timelines does not change. There is indeed two timelines that we don't know what is going on. Maybe one day they can reveal the story of the U12 time traveler and what change he made. Till then, it's all theory.

zade287

Post by zade287 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:03 am

I have a question about the movie broly the legendary super saiyan
you said that broly (DBZ) is from the timeline 5
so if future trunks never visited this timeline
how he was in the movie

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:55 pm

theherodjl wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:55 pm DB's attempt at establishing a multiverse has always been a little lacking. The aptly-named "Dragonball Multiverse" fan manga has done a much better job at acknowledging the various characters & events that have occurred over the years than the actual franchise has. DBS might have set up the 12 universes as being the series' definition of a multiverse but it doesn't really acknowledge much of the stuff that has come before and seemingly treats other timelines as being separate multiverses from their own multiverse. Its just a bit of a clusterfuck and pales in comparison to how Marvel & DC have written multiverse theory.
I disagree I think it's quite novel how they have timelines splitting the multiverse rather than the other way around.

Marvel used to make great books but they squandered it, every what if just like lazily kills off spider-man cuz they can.
Marvel was great because it was 'the world outside your window' but they are scared to imagine a different world, scared to kill of villians while shonen escalating the violence and stakes making the superheroes look like incompetent guardians of the status quo.

DB's problem is they DON'T go all in on canon spin offs, like the "unseen timeline" and stuff.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.