Could Goku Have Achieved UI At Any Time Before The ToP?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Could Goku Have Achieved UI At Any Time Before The ToP?

Post by theherodjl » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:00 pm

Suppose he did get struck by the Genki Dama at anytime before the ToP? Could Goku have accidentally discovered UI as far back as the Saiyan arc? Maybe the Namek arc? Boo arc? Any one of the movies where he used the Genki Dama? Perhaps GT?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Nineteen
Beyond Newbie

Re: Could Goku Have Achieved UI At Any Time Before The ToP?

Post by Nineteen » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:32 pm

Movie 7 would seem to have been the ideal setting for it (had UI been invented out-of-universe at the time), given Goku's absorption of the Spirit Bomb in the film. And it definitely seems to have done... something... to Goku.

Dr. Gero: I cleared the area of innocents, in accordance with your wishes. Do you disagree with my methods?
Goku: Grr...leave these people out of this!
Android 19: There are no people left to leave out.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:08 pm

Nineteen wrote:Movie 7 would seem to have been the ideal setting for it (had UI been invented out-of-universe at the time), given Goku's absorption of the Spirit Bomb in the film. And it definitely seems to have done... something... to Goku.

I had made a topic on this very instance, but no one really believed that it was UI. At the end of the day, everyone just agreed that it was Goku just going beyond his limits in a general manner rather than achieving a specific transformation like UI. Although, this instance would have been the perfect time for Goku to discover something far behind SSJ's limits. He could have discovered a form of SSJ that was Genki Dama-powered, and pushed him beyond SSJ2 & SSJ3. It definitely would have been a much cooler end to Pure Boo.

Nineteen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nineteen » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:23 pm

It couldn't have been UI, simply because the concept didn't exist at the time. It's certainly something though, suggesting that the idea that a Super Saiyan + a Spirit Bomb = Something Else was kicking around people's heads long before Super was conceived.
Dr. Gero: I cleared the area of innocents, in accordance with your wishes. Do you disagree with my methods?
Goku: Grr...leave these people out of this!
Android 19: There are no people left to leave out.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:41 pm

Yes from Revival of Freeza arc and after

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:14 am

ToshioWrites wrote:Yes from Revival of Freeza arc and after
Why not before? What's preventing it from being possible as far back as the Saiyan arc, at least from an in-universe perspective?

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:28 am

theherodjl wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:Yes from Revival of Freeza arc and after
Why not before? What's preventing it from being possible as far back as the Saiyan arc, at least from an in-universe perspective?
Goku didn't have months and months of muscle memory from UI training to tap into when pushed into a corner

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:56 am

ToshioWrites wrote:Goku didn't have months and months of muscle memory from UI training to tap into when pushed into a corner
Everyone in DB who has trained for months in hand to hand combat has months & months of muscle memory. UI isn't just muscle memory, but the body acting without conscious thought or intentional reflexes. Goku tried using UI while under his own mental control, and the best he could use was UIO instead of MUI.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:55 am

We know very little about the technicalities of UI to tell

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:28 am

If getting struck by a Spirit Bomb is all one needs to tap into Ultra Instinct, then I wonder why Future Trunks didn't unlock Ultra Instinct when he absorbed the Spirit Bomb in his sadly-onesided battle against Fused Zamasu.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:26 am

I would go with no.

UI wasn't achieved wasn't achieved simply because he broke his limits.

It also had to do with the power of the opponent whom he was facing.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:01 pm

If Ultra Instinct is mechanically supposed to be classified as a technique and not a transformation dictated by specific magnitudes of power then it wouldn't be impossible for Goku as far back as his training with Kami to enable him to lay the groundwork down for acquiring UI. Popo's principles of training involved tranquil fluidity of the body so that the atmospheric conditions surrounding the person are used to discern the actions of an opponent and enable the user to react accordingly. Rather than act in a gesture of turbulent emotion and basic sensory perception, Popo's lessons instilled the notion of placid manoeuvring through environmental sensation. It sounds like the exact kind of preliminary instruction needed for Whis' Ultra Instinct.

Imagine how Goku's fight with Piccolo Jr would have panned out at the 23rd tournament. Some would argue that because of Kami and Piccolo hailing from the some clan that the latter would have foreknowledge of such an ability and could perhaps even counter it himself. Thing is, Piccolo and Kami diffused centuries ago. It's not impossible to believe that Kami developed his own philosophical notions of martial arts separate from whatever the Child of Katas used previously.

Lupin Vegeta

Post by Lupin Vegeta » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:02 pm

would kid gohan have unlocked uI if he hadn't bounced the spirit bomb back at vegeta?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:17 pm

I don't think so as Goku had been going through intense training with Whis and had a completely different type of Ki so at the very earliest he may have been able to sometime after Champa's tournament.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.