Can Roshi read minds?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Can Roshi read minds?

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:51 pm

I'm rewatching the original Dragon Ball on my DVDs and I just watched the episode where Roshi/Jackie Chun figures out why Nam is so stoic. He somehow figures out Nam's background and appears to read his thoughts. If Roshi is, in fact, able to read people's minds, then why is this never mentioned again? He could have had a whole new dimension in fights, reading enemies' minds to figure out their next attacks and warning his teammates in battle. Furthermore, he could have stayed relevant throughout the whole series as a mind reader who assists Goku and Vegeta and crew with figuring out the enemies' next moves, long after he was outclassed by the Z Fighters.
Is there any reasonable explanation other than Roshi being able to read minds when he figured out Nam's background? And if Roshi can read minds, does anyone think he would be of any use to the protagonists with his skill or can anyone come up with a reasonable explanation why he wouldn't be of any use with mind reading?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Can Roshi read minds?

Post by Ssjcell » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:30 pm

Not only can roshi read minds but Goku and Vegeta can as well they read fat buus mind when he was in the pod to see what happened . Also Goku read krillins mind when he arrived on namek.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:35 pm

Vegeta? I don't remember that.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:07 pm

Goku reads minds as the plot dictates, Jackie Chun read Namu's, and Piccolo's telepathic every other Thursday in May.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:20 pm

Sometimes. It doesn't appear to work in battle though (i.e. read your opponent's mind to predict their next moves).
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:25 pm

Goku can read the minds of others. So imagine if he had used that technique in the Future Trunks arc to read Goku Black's mind. He would have learned his true identity in episode 49. He would have realized Zamasu's true inner thoughts in episode 53. In short, the Future Trunks arc would have been much shorter, and much more boring.

You understand why the writers had to forsake that technique, It's too OP and completely ruins the narrative.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:37 pm

Did Roshi read Nam's mind at a long distance? I don't remember. And how about Goku?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:33 pm

Waluigiman wrote:Did Roshi read Nam's mind at a long distance? I don't remember. And how about Goku?
I think it requires a person's consent or at least them not holding intense negative emotions to you.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:28 am

Roshi wasn't just the strongest man in the world at the beginning of the series, he was also one of the most cunning warriors with a massive arsenal of techniques of all kinds. Mind reading being one of many techniques at his disposal. Real explanation is what others have mentioned, it would be too game breaking so it wasn't used in battle. With Nam and Krillin being the subjects of this technique though, an in-universe explanation might be that it can only be used on those with a calm mind, or those that are in a resting state.

Roshi is a highly underrated character. Especially among fans who saw his return to the battlefield in the Resurrection of Freeza arc, and his selection for the Tournament of power leaving them confused. The confusion stems mostly from fans who only ever watched DBZ before DBS. In DBZ, he was relegated to the side lines or as a secondary character rather than a main frontline fighter. The reason for this though was that he had officially retired. Yes, he was ultimately outclassed by that part of the series, that much is true. However, those who watched the original DB might take note of a few things that speak to his level of power and strength in DBS.

First and foremost is the 22nd Budokai. Roshi is shown to have trained in secret, so that his alter ego, Jacki Chun could give his pupils (Son Goku, Krillin, and by that point Yamcha as well) a solid fight in the tournament. After battling with Tenshinhan, he realized they could have a worthy opponent in him, if he turned away from the killer's path set for him by Crane Hermit and Tao Pai Pai. As such, he hopped out of bounds and forfeit the match. Tenshinhan acted arrogant and said it must be because Turtle Hermit was afraid of losing to him. Yet, if one pays close attention to their match, you see that Roshi only used between 50% (low end estimate) to 70% (high end estimate) of his true power against Tenshinhan.

Mount Frypan and Earth's Moon were the only two opponents we ever saw in the series that Roshi took on at 100% battle power. They both lost, hard. Previous arguments (prior to DBS existence) were that the form was only for his max power Kamehameha. Yet, we see him in the Resurrection of Freeza arc use the form for basic hand to hand combat, debunking that theory. We learn just prior to his recruitment for the tournament of power that he has been continually training in secret all these years. No longer driven to "stay relevant" or to be the best anymore, he only sought self improvement, which was at the very core of his teachings for the others. He was spurred further ahead by the very students he had raised with these same ideals.
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:46 am

Now that I remembered that Korin the one who trained Roshi can read minds, I don't think it is that surprising.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:42 pm

Akira wrote:
Roshi is a highly underrated character. Especially among fans who saw his return to the battlefield in the Resurrection of Freeza arc, and his selection for the Tournament of power leaving them confused. The confusion stems mostly from fans who only ever watched DBZ before DBS. In DBZ, he was relegated to the side lines or as a secondary character rather than a main frontline fighter. The reason for this though was that he had officially retired. Yes, he was ultimately outclassed by that part of the series, that much is true. However, those who watched the original DB might take note of a few things that speak to his level of power and strength in DBS.

First and foremost is the 22nd Budokai. Roshi is shown to have trained in secret, so that his alter ego, Jacki Chun could give his pupils (Son Goku, Krillin, and by that point Yamcha as well) a solid fight in the tournament. After battling with Tenshinhan, he realized they could have a worthy opponent in him, if he turned away from the killer's path set for him by Crane Hermit and Tao Pai Pai. As such, he hopped out of bounds and forfeit the match. Tenshinhan acted arrogant and said it must be because Turtle Hermit was afraid of losing to him. Yet, if one pays close attention to their match, you see that Roshi only used between 50% (low end estimate) to 70% (high end estimate) of his true power against Tenshinhan.
Absolutely. I thought I was the only person who thought Jackie Chun was holding back against Tenshinhan. People also need to keep in mind that he fought against Piccolo Daimao, which is one thing that redeems him for me. It's much too often that he seems like exclusively a sexual predator which makes him almost detestable in many situations, but his heroics in that arc made me appreciate him a lot. His good side is probably one of my favourite characters but I can't in good conscience have an exclusively positive opinion towards him due to all the gross things he tried to do to women. There's absolutely no justification for that, and the only way that it's even somewhat entertaining is how badly he fails at it. There's nothing funny about wanting to grope someone without their consent.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Angelus
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Angelus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:01 am

Yeah, he's just not that good at it. Think of it as having a minor telepathic ability that you haven't mastered. Nothing like Professor X level

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:09 am

If you remember, Korin read Goku's mind after he climbed Korin's tower. Roshi was taught by Korin. Eventually, after training at 100x Earth's Gravity, Goku also mastered the technique and read Krillin's mind.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707