How powerful is current Piccolo?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Sonofman
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:33 pm

How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by Sonofman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:29 pm

I was just curious if anyone else is thinking the same thing. Piccolo is the most powerful Namekian, but there's a lot of inconsistency in the DBS anime in terms of overall power. We clearly know that Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan were able to increase in power. But what about Piccolo? How powerful did he get? Is he unable to get any stronger? It seems to me that Piccolo hasn't gotten any stronger since the Majin arc. Let me know your thoughts below. :D
"We have this hope as an anchor for our soul" - Hebrews 6:19

User avatar
DestructoDisc
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:26 pm

I believe he's gotten a lot stronger as base Goku barely withstood his explosive wave (Goku himself said this) and his special beam cannon was able to damage Saonel and Pirina.

I think he can easily defeat anyone from the Cell and Buu saga now, minus maybe Vegito.

User avatar
Lionel
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1856
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:54 am

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by Lionel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:01 pm

If Krillin is forcing Goku to transform while his wife easily contends with an opponent, Tupper, who had that same Goku down for the count then I guess must mean they're stronger than Piccolo now. I've never heard anyone suggest that the humans could have surpassed Piccolo in the same arc. Furthermore, what does that say about his Special Beam Cannon? To successfully perforate through two Namekians on the level of Saonel and Pirina -- both of whom were handling themselves well against Ultimate Gohan who had tussled with his father in blue at full power -- would mean that amplifier for the cannon is outrageously high. Going from comparability with the Base Saiyans all the way to Super Saiyan Blue seems too absurd to be real.

I'm not sure if we have a whole lot to gauge Piccolo with since most of his opponents didn't interact much the barometers for strength in Goku and Vegeta. Maybe he could have retained his standing in the "sort of general league" of the Super Saiyans" that was apparent in the Champa arc.

User avatar
Berserker1921
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1038
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:46 am

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by Berserker1921 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:42 am

Too be honest he has to be at least a ssj2 level and best case, he is near super buu level. Which makes him a threat to many people during the ToP. However is nothing to god tier.

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8822
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:29 pm

Sonofman wrote:I was just curious if anyone else is thinking the same thing. Piccolo is the most powerful Namekian, but there's a lot of inconsistency in the DBS anime in terms of overall power. We clearly know that Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan were able to increase in power. But what about Piccolo? How powerful did he get? Is he unable to get any stronger? It seems to me that Piccolo hasn't gotten any stronger since the Majin arc. Let me know your thoughts below. :D
Ignore the DBS anime. Like all Toei DB stuff, it just does whatever it wants with power levels. Paradoxically, actual battle performance is not indicative of strength in Toei's productions. Anyone can fight anyone no matter how much stronger or weaker. You can no more trust that base Goku is stronger than Super Gotenks in Super than that base Goku is stronger than Super Vegeta in Movie 8, stronger than Ultimate Gohan in Buu's head, or stronger than Blue Vegeta against Hit.

The manga is clearer with power scaling and Piccolo's not implied to be any stronger there (he's not stated to be any stronger in the anime either, for that matter). In my opinion, Shin could still kick his ass. He was "dimensions" above Piccolo in the Buu arc.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by Ssjcell » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:35 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Sonofman wrote:I was just curious if anyone else is thinking the same thing. Piccolo is the most powerful Namekian, but there's a lot of inconsistency in the DBS anime in terms of overall power. We clearly know that Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan were able to increase in power. But what about Piccolo? How powerful did he get? Is he unable to get any stronger? It seems to me that Piccolo hasn't gotten any stronger since the Majin arc. Let me know your thoughts below. :D
Ignore the DBS anime. Like all Toei DB stuff, it just does whatever it wants with power levels. Paradoxically, actual battle performance is not indicative of strength in Toei's productions. Anyone can fight anyone no matter how much stronger or weaker. You can no more trust that base Goku is stronger than Super Gotenks in Super than that base Goku is stronger than Super Vegeta in Movie 8, stronger than Ultimate Gohan in Buu's head, or stronger than Blue Vegeta against Hit.

The manga is clearer with power scaling and Piccolo's not implied to be any stronger there (he's not stated to be any stronger in the anime either, for that matter). In my opinion, Shin could still kick his ass. He was "dimensions" above Piccolo in the Buu arc.
I hear this argument all the time to just ignore the dbs anime, while ak has said on several different occasions that the anime is to be treated like the old manga and the manga is to be treated like the old anime. Therefore the anime is Canon, just because you like the manga better doesn't make it more true or canon. It's an absurd argument that holds no water to me. Ak is making the anime while some other guy is making the manga which one seems more canon to you doesn't change the fact that what ak says is fact.

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8822
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:37 pm

Ssjcell wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
Sonofman wrote:I was just curious if anyone else is thinking the same thing. Piccolo is the most powerful Namekian, but there's a lot of inconsistency in the DBS anime in terms of overall power. We clearly know that Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan were able to increase in power. But what about Piccolo? How powerful did he get? Is he unable to get any stronger? It seems to me that Piccolo hasn't gotten any stronger since the Majin arc. Let me know your thoughts below. :D
Ignore the DBS anime. Like all Toei DB stuff, it just does whatever it wants with power levels. Paradoxically, actual battle performance is not indicative of strength in Toei's productions. Anyone can fight anyone no matter how much stronger or weaker. You can no more trust that base Goku is stronger than Super Gotenks in Super than that base Goku is stronger than Super Vegeta in Movie 8, stronger than Ultimate Gohan in Buu's head, or stronger than Blue Vegeta against Hit.

The manga is clearer with power scaling and Piccolo's not implied to be any stronger there (he's not stated to be any stronger in the anime either, for that matter). In my opinion, Shin could still kick his ass. He was "dimensions" above Piccolo in the Buu arc.
I hear this argument all the time to just ignore the dbs anime, while ak has said on several different occasions that the anime is to be treated like the old manga and the manga is to be treated like the old anime. Therefore the anime is Canon, just because you like the manga better doesn't make it more true or canon. It's an absurd argument that holds no water to me. Ak is making the anime while some other guy is making the manga which one seems more canon to you doesn't change the fact that what ak says is fact.
Literally none of what you said is true. Toriyama has never stated anything about the "canon" of the versions and supervises the manga far more closely than he does the anime. He's not "making" either of them, especially not the anime. For both, he gives a broad plot outline which is then adapted.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by Ssjcell » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:03 pm

I disagree anime was first

User avatar
p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:56 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by p-hyvo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:52 am

tdp piccolo is easily low god or high ssj3 tier, going from the different scalings. in dbs everyone got a fuckton of boost to return them from the competitive scene, : c18 is now ssj2 caulifla + tier , crillin is the human warrior leader and he is not that distant from base gohan, buff muten is stronger than him and suppressed c18 and tenshinhan is a bit lower than base buten on the scale. they all went past z and logic standards, and, even if its horrible to say, even dbs crillin, muten and tien are a lot superior thas ssj vegeth from z.

piccolo instead is a ss2 tier - in base form, and a god tier + in his super namekian state, like saonel and pirina, while frost is a low god tier fighter.


mui Goku rage>>jiren rage fiery aura>Goku muiinitial>jiren fiery aura>>jiren fp >Goku ui3 adapted>= bills>Goku ui3 initial>> vegeta ssbe g2 >god toppo> hit time cage>Goku blue kaioken x20 post zenkai>=Goku ui 1>= ssj2 kefla>>aniraza>>toppo red ki>c17 fp > Golden freezer >Goku blue/vegeta blue = toppo >mystic gohan fullpower > koichianator> Goku blue/vegeta blue(post kefla)>>>freezer ff 70% >mystic gohan less suppressed >obuni>god Goku= berserker kale in rampage > hit > dyspo >>sn pirina>sn saonel>suppressed mystic gohansuppressed> sn piccolo>>>ssb Goku (vs kale)> Goku ssj3>= ssj god Goku (vs kefla) >>Goku ssj >mystic gohan more suppressed >base piccolo >frost>c17 suppressed>c18 fp>kale ssj2>khasenal>cocotte > ssj2 caulifla>=ssj kale>tupper >zoyray>>base Goku/vegeta>>> base caulifla >base kyabe >niggrishi >katopesra battle mode > kohitsukai/bollarator/panchia > base gohan >>buff muten >=majora > suppressed c18 > shosa >trio de dangers > crillin>>base muten > tenshinhan>>> ganos
I feel like if i Say here where do i get numerically with dbgt/dbs Power levels, someone will get a stroke.
Better to not talk about dragon ball heroes ones, i swear
Lol

Also i don't wanna be rude, even if i know i can seem It sometimes. I'm Just too harsh in some occasions, that's It. I can't control that. Is not that i want to be and asshole or mean to you, i Simply don't know how to Say what i think i other ways .Just clarifying

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by PFM18 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:12 am

DestructoDisc wrote:I believe he's gotten a lot stronger as base Goku barely withstood his explosive wave (Goku himself said this) and his special beam cannon was able to damage Saonel and Pirina.

I think he can easily defeat anyone from the Cell and Buu saga now, minus maybe Vegito.
I agree with this. everyone outside of maybe Vegetto
Berserker1921 wrote:Too be honest he has to be at least a ssj2 level and best case, he is near super buu level. Which makes him a threat to many people during the ToP. However is nothing to god tier.
Buu arc SSJ2 tiers are absolutely nothing to current fighters in the ToP. You seem to imply "SSJ2 level" during the ToP arc and the Buu arc are at similar levels of power but that is certainly not the case.
Lionel wrote: If Krillin is forcing Goku to transform while his wife easily contends with an opponent, Tupper, who had that same Goku down for the count then I guess must mean they're stronger than Piccolo now.
Tupper caught Goku off guard was the point. He grabbed Goku while Goku wasn't expecting it. This says nothing of the comparison between 18 and Base Goku. I don't see Goku going SSJ once briefly against the Kienzan which is known for it's ability to damage people massively stronger than them, as enough evidence to conclude that Krillin>Base Goku.
Furthermore, what does that say about his Special Beam Cannon? To successfully perforate through two Namekians on the level of Saonel and Pirina -- both of whom were handling themselves well against Ultimate Gohan who had tussled with his father in blue at full power
Ultimate Gohan stated that he would go full-power when he realized they were more durable than he thought. Then, he easily defeated them. So there's no real implication that Piccolo is close to Ultimate Gohan. Also, Goku briefly fought with Gohan, but Goku was able to damage Toppo where Gohan couldn't, so it certainly appears that Goku didn't use SSB at full-power or at least that the brief squabble wasn't enough for Goku to display his superiority.(It was extremely short) So Gohan isn't as strong as SSB Goku in the first place.
Going from comparability with the Base Saiyans all the way to Super Saiyan Blue seems too absurd to be real.
That's because it isn't real. The makankosoppo is very powerful but it certainly doesn't bridge that large of a gap.
Ignore the DBS anime. Like all Toei DB stuff, it just does whatever it wants with power levels. Paradoxically, actual battle performance is not indicative of strength in Toei's productions. Anyone can fight anyone no matter how much stronger or weaker. You can no more trust that base Goku is stronger than Super Gotenks in Super than that base Goku is stronger than Super Vegeta in Movie 8, stronger than Ultimate Gohan in Buu's head, or stronger than Blue Vegeta against Hit.

The manga is clearer with power scaling and Piccolo's not implied to be any stronger there (he's not stated to be any stronger in the anime either, for that matter). In my opinion, Shin could still kick his ass. He was "dimensions" above Piccolo in the Buu arc.
This is getting ridiculous. You won't even allow people to discuss DBS anime scaling without discrediting it and attempting to invalidate it. Jesus christ dude, just let people discuss what they want. Also, the manga is certainly not clearer with power scaling it has blatantly contradictory scaling statements among other issues. It isn't the anime's fault that you misinterpret it at every turn
Last edited by PFM18 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7854
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:56 am

Going by the Super manga, not any stronger than he was in whatever his Cell Games peak was but still above Base Saiyan's.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:21 pm
Location: Jerusalem, Israel

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:59 am

Pasting my opinion from this topic:
Green_Goblin wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote: Considering the fact Piccolo can withstand Mystic Gohan before the Tournament of Power even began - and the fact Mystic Gohan was MUCH STRONGER THAN SSJ 3 Goku of the Buu Saga - it's clear that Piccolo EVEN BEFORE CONTINUING TO TRAIN WITH GOHAN FOR THE TOP (and even before Episode 90 when they fought Goku and Tien) was MUCH MUCH MORE POWERFUL THAN Buu Saga SSJ 2 Goku and Majin Vegeta.

HECK Majin Vegeta should be at Basil's base-tier IMHO.

So where exactly do you place Piccolo at? Super Buu?
If there was a ten steps ladder betwen OG Majin Buu and Super Buu, then Piccolo before the ToP is around 7/10 over that scale in my honest opinion. As he still was talking about Super Buu as something scary even when Gohan came to train with him for the Tournament of Power. While in the ToP itself he must've improved to 9/10 Super Buu.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by PFM18 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:18 am

Green_Goblin wrote:Pasting my opinion from this topic:
Green_Goblin wrote:
Professor Freeza wrote:

So where exactly do you place Piccolo at? Super Buu?
If there was a ten steps ladder betwen OG Majin Buu and Super Buu, then Piccolo before the ToP is around 7/10 over that scale in my honest opinion. As he still was talking about Super Buu as something scary even when Gohan came to train with him for the Tournament of Power. While in the ToP itself he must've improved to 9/10 Super Buu.
That's pretty fair. I personally think he probably surpassed Super Buu after the training with Gohan and during the events of the ToP, but I think he's definitely somewhere in that ballpark.
ekrolo2 wrote:Going by the Super manga, not any stronger than he was in whatever his Cell Games peak was but still above Base Saiyan's.
Going by the Super manga, Gohan is both stronger than Goku and weaker than Goku at the same time apparently. So I would take it with a grain of salt.

User avatar
flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by flashback0180 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:57 pm

i'll rank him above SSJ2 and close to ssj3 since he could keep up with pre-TOP ultimate gohan.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20967
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:08 pm

In the Super anime, Piccolo is stronger than SSJ2 Gohan, and by virtue, many leagues above SSJ3 Gotenks (Z and Super) given that Base Goku/Vegeta/Gohan are above SSJ3 Gotenks, at least after the events of the Future Trunks arc.

In the Super manga, it's incredibly ambiguous as he barely does anything.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by PFM18 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:00 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:In the Super anime, Piccolo is stronger than SSJ2 Gohan, and by virtue, many leagues above SSJ3 Gotenks (Z and Super) given that Base Goku/Vegeta/Gohan are above SSJ3 Gotenks, at least after the events of the Future Trunks arc.

In the Super manga, it's incredibly ambiguous as he barely does anything.
Why do you lump Gohan in with Goku and Vegeta? Goku/Vegeta are clearly much stronger in equivalent forms

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20967
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:11 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:In the Super anime, Piccolo is stronger than SSJ2 Gohan, and by virtue, many leagues above SSJ3 Gotenks (Z and Super) given that Base Goku/Vegeta/Gohan are above SSJ3 Gotenks, at least after the events of the Future Trunks arc.

In the Super manga, it's incredibly ambiguous as he barely does anything.
Why do you lump Gohan in with Goku and Vegeta? Goku/Vegeta are clearly much stronger in equivalent forms
In Episode 75, SSJ Goku and SSJ Gohan had a (brief) sparring match, and were dead even.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by PFM18 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:17 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:In the Super anime, Piccolo is stronger than SSJ2 Gohan, and by virtue, many leagues above SSJ3 Gotenks (Z and Super) given that Base Goku/Vegeta/Gohan are above SSJ3 Gotenks, at least after the events of the Future Trunks arc.

In the Super manga, it's incredibly ambiguous as he barely does anything.
Why do you lump Gohan in with Goku and Vegeta? Goku/Vegeta are clearly much stronger in equivalent forms
In Episode 75, SSJ Goku and SSJ Gohan had a (brief) sparring match, and were dead even.
But Goku was obviously suppressed and he admitted as much. They fought evenly in Base and Gohan asked something like "You're holding back aren't you?" and Goku admitted it, and then they both go SSJ and they continue to fight evenly. So Goku must have continued to be holding back for them to continue fighting evenly as SSJs. And this was a brief sparring session that amounted to a gag scene with Chi Chi

And intuitively speaking it doesn't make any sense for Gohan to be at that level since he has only been casually training since RoF and Goku absorbed the SSG power and got training with Whis. Especially since in their tag team fight Base Goku tanked Piccolo fairly easily and if he had been superior to SSJ2 Gohan who was relative to a SSJ2 Goku, then Base Goku would have been nothing to Piccolo. Base Goku is outrageously strong at this point being able to fodderize SSJ3 Gotenks among several other things that indicate his insane strength, and Gohan can't even access his Ultimate power.

SSJgogeto
Regular
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:24 pm

He's probably stronger than SS3 Goku. I don't know exactly the gap between Goku and Gotenks, but I like to think Piccolo can be as strong as the little fusion.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20967
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: How powerful is current Piccolo?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:46 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Why do you lump Gohan in with Goku and Vegeta? Goku/Vegeta are clearly much stronger in equivalent forms
In Episode 75, SSJ Goku and SSJ Gohan had a (brief) sparring match, and were dead even.
But Goku was obviously suppressed and he admitted as much. They fought evenly in Base and Gohan asked something like "You're holding back aren't you?" and Goku admitted it, and then they both go SSJ and they continue to fight evenly. So Goku must have continued to be holding back for them to continue fighting evenly as SSJs. And this was a brief sparring session that amounted to a gag scene with Chi Chi

And intuitively speaking it doesn't make any sense for Gohan to be at that level since he has only been casually training since RoF and Goku absorbed the SSG power and got training with Whis. Especially since in their tag team fight Base Goku tanked Piccolo fairly easily and if he had been superior to SSJ2 Gohan who was relative to a SSJ2 Goku, then Base Goku would have been nothing to Piccolo. Base Goku is outrageously strong at this point being able to fodderize SSJ3 Gotenks among several other things that indicate his insane strength, and Gohan can't even access his Ultimate power.
I wouldn't necessarily ignore the context of Goku and Gohan's sparring match under the idea of it inconsequential given it ended with a "gag" involving Chi Chi. Goku was holding back initially to test Gohan in his base form, and then powered up to SSJ, as did Gohan, and they fought more seriously. The damage they unintentionally caused to Goku's fleshly plowed farming field would indicate they were fighting much more seriously then they were in their base forms initially.

I can buy that Gohan, from off-screen training following the events of Resurrection F, at least in his base form, reached on par with Goku and Vegeta. I mean, honestely speaking, in terms of strength gains in Dragon Ball, it's always been roulette wheel. It may seem a bit of stretch for Gohan to get that in the time that he did, but it's not out of realm of possibility. Especially after the events of Resurrection F opened an almighty can of worms in regards to gains in training. Lest we forget Freeza reaching God-tier in 4 months. And that was Toriyama's idea.

Post Reply