Why wasn't Kid Buu able to overcome the genki dama?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Regular

Why wasn't Kid Buu able to overcome the genki dama?

Post by AvatarReiko » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:58 pm

Goku went SSJ when he recovered his Ki and that was enough to overpower Buu. What I don't understand is how this worked. Kid Buu was way stronger than Goku's SSJ2 and SSJ forms and should have been able to take control of the skirmish

nosferatu
Banned

Re: Why wasn't Kid Buu able to overcome the genki dama?

Post by nosferatu » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Plot. :wave: he was also stronger then ssj3 imo he never fought seriously unless the genki and well he almost pushed it back that says everything.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:13 pm

The attack was already 90% of the way to hitting Buu before he caught it. Buu was only able to catch it in the first place because Goku's power was already depleted (due to only being in his base form without enough strength left to go beyond that thanks to SSj3's energy drain.) The "push" on Goku's end is his strength AND the power of the attack itself, while Buu only has his own strength on his side; it's not a beam-struggle situation where Buu's pushing it back with a powerful blast of his own, he's just physically catching it, at first struggling just to hold it off and then slooowly pushing it back a little.

I suspect that the only way for Buu to actually turn the attack back on Goku would be if he got some kind of outside power boost (I feel like there was probably a Xenoverse/Online scenario along these lines, with one of the demons powering up Kid Buu mid-battle?), or if Goku's energy gave out entirely.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:10 pm

It's stated by Vegeta or Kaioshin that Goku didn't have the power to throw it properly because he was too tired. Once he was healed he had the power to fire it properly as a SSJ.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:16 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:It's stated by Vegeta or Kaioshin that Goku didn't have the power to throw it properly because he was too tired. Once he was healed he had the power to fire it properly as a SSJ.
Heck, Shin even brings up Goku's stamina as an important point when Goku throws the Genkidama at Jiren in DBS.

Goku has plenty of stamina to send the Genkidama at Jiren, and everyone is astonished that Jiren can still manage to push it back, even managing to completely stalemate SSB/KKx20 Goku's absolute maximum; the struggle was actually quite similar to base Goku's struggle with Pure Buu, albeit he's at much more a disadvantage and Jiren does much better with his glare than Pure Buu's whole body.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:51 am

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:It's stated by Vegeta or Kaioshin that Goku didn't have the power to throw it properly because he was too tired. Once he was healed he had the power to fire it properly as a SSJ.
But this shouldn't have made a differece as Buu's strenght>Goku's full strength (outside of SSJ3)

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:35 am

Most likely because he:
1. Was more evil and dangerous than Super Buu, but he was still weaker. I think he is just as strong as Evil grey Buu.
2. He was made of pure evil, so the Spirit Bomb is more effective to anything made of evil.
3. Was tired after doing all those things and this became harder after Goku's restored energy and strength.
4. Because he was evil and the story forced his death regardless of the logic against it.

Pick the one you like.

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:33 am

again PLOT.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:05 am

But this shouldn't have made a differece as Buu's strenght>Goku's full strength (outside of SSJ3)
Seems as though a Genkidama struggle between Goku and someone stronger than him is more even, depending on stamina.

We see this with Jiren; Goku CAN hold out even while significantly weaker, which lines up with base Goku's performance against Pure Buu. It just seems to be a case of the user of the Genkidama being able to push the Genkidama more than the person trying to push it back even if they're weaker.

Hell, Freeza was unable to do anything against Goku's Genkidama on Namek even though Goku was tired as f**k and in base form without Kaio-ken.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:24 pm

It had Gohan's genki in it, plus trunks, piccolo, 18,17, and everyone on Earth's genki that's a powerful blast. The power to even catch it is quite a feat in and of itself. Once Goku turned full powered super Saiyan which is probably beyond cell at this point, my personal opinion Buu was toast.