What is the primary continuity of Super?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

What is the primary continuity of Super?

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:52 am

The manga or the anime. Both contradict eachother. But one can’t be canon over the other. Both can’t be happening. Would it make sense to tie the Super anime into the anime continuity while the Super manga tied into the original manga continuity.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What is the primary continuity of Super.

Post by KBABZ » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:25 am

I personally would say the Super continuity. The manga is more 'refined', but the anime is so much more prolific and it's much further ahead. That being said, Super is a continuation primarily of the DBZ Kai telling of the manga because it uses Kai footage for flashbacks to the Z era, with a few select exceptions such as referencing Yamcha's Z-only baseball career.

On the topic of canon, neither is really "canon" over the other considering Toriyama was involved with both. The anime is much more exposed but that doesn't mean the manga "doesn't matter" to the franchise as a whole any more than GT doesn't with Super existing. The bigger question to me is "is this canon in relation to this other Dragon Ball work?", for example if the Super anime is the canon the Super Broly film falls into.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:20 am

Since Dragon Ball Super wasn't totally by Toriyama, like Saint Seiya's author got to continue his work with Next Dimension, for example, while the anime got Omega without his participation, you could consider both media for what they're worth: concept, music, color and design. It is the first Dragon Ball product whose transformations were thought of in continuity to have different colors, without being necessarily constrained by technology, but moving along with trends nonetheless. The characters' power gets recaped in a fashion that is similar to both of their media in the past. There is an underlying story that you can try to figure out by putting both products in a blender and filtering out their studios' specifics.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:53 am

There isn't one. Not the answer you probably wanted to hear, but the truth.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:27 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Would it make sense to tie the Super anime into the anime continuity while the Super manga tied into the original manga continuity.
Yes, that's how I see it and it's the only way to make sense of them.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:00 am

For me it will always be manga. I am not sure if it contains any filler material from DB/Z, but obviously less than anime and it's more close to original manga for sure as well.

DBS anime is one big mess that contradicts both anime and manga.
Toriyama clearly writes manga sequel but TOEI try to make it DBZ sequel.

I'd like to think there are two continuities:

Anime: DB, DBZ, DBGT
Manga, Jaco manga, DB manga, DBS manga

DBS anime doesn't belong to either of them
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:50 am

sunsetshimmer wrote:Toriyama clearly writes manga sequel but TOEI try to make it DBZ sequel.

Both statements are factually wrong. Toriyama gives both parties (Toei and Toyotaro) a draft or script which they both adapt into their respective formats and along the way Toriyama helps with certain things.

In terms of the anime "not belonging anywhere", that's simply wrong because it always shows flashbacks to Z so despite its many (many, many, many) flaws, it's a continuation of Z's anime.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Re: What is the primary continuity of Super?

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:46 am

Whatever shows up in the manga and the anime is "canon" if thats what you mean, since I'd say there's a very good chance those points were in Toriyama's drafts.

So for examples:

Goku getting scratched by a bullet
Jiren being stronger than his own GoD
Goku never kissing ChiChi
Vegeta beating up Goku Black after using RoSAT.

The rest are just adaptations of what I assume is a very "open ended/vague" draft

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:56 am

The primary continuity os Super is lying on what's both two media have in common. But for the Tournament of Power that trick is not easy to use.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:33 pm

sintzu wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:Toriyama clearly writes manga sequel but TOEI try to make it DBZ sequel.

Both statements are factually wrong. Toriyama gives both parties (Toei and Toyotaro) a draft or script which they both adapt into their respective formats and along the way Toriyama helps with certain things.

In terms of the anime "not belonging anywhere", that's simply wrong because it always shows flashbacks to Z so despite its many (many, many, many) flaws, it's a continuation of Z's anime.
I agree except I like to believe that there’s the original DB/DBZ/DBGT anime continuity.
Then there’s the DB/DBZ Kai/DB Super Anime continuity.
Then there’s the Jaco/DBMinus/DB Manga/DB Super manga continuity.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:53 pm

Manga continuity:
Jaco manga—>DB Minus—>DB Manga—>DBS Manga

Anime continuity(modern DB):
Jaco Manga—>DB Minus—>DB—>DB Kai—>DBS

Anime continuity(Classic):
Bardock Special—>DB—>DBZ(with all the fillers)—>DBGT
GT Fighter

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:05 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
sintzu wrote:

I agree except I like to believe that there’s the original DB/DBZ/DBGT anime continuity.
Then there’s the DB/DBZ Kai/DB Super Anime continuity.
Then there’s the Jaco/DBMinus/DB Manga/DB Super manga continuity.
That's a popular way of looking at things which I agree with.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:53 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:There isn't one. Not the answer you probably wanted to hear, but the truth.
Yup. pretty much. Each one has their merits in terms of the continuity

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:59 pm

The manga. Gohan is to weak in the anime for it to be canon.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:42 pm

Puaru wrote:The manga. Gohan is to weak in the anime for it to be canon.
That isn't how canon works at all......

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:09 pm

The way I see it:

-The Super manga follows the DB manga.

-The Super anime follows the Kai anime.

-GT follows the Z anime.

-Various other material either can be part of any of the above continuities or forms their own separate continuities (all "canon" within the universe thanks to parallel timelines, which is why we have Slug and Turles butting into Namek in Xenoverse and SS4 Goku fighting SSB Goku in Heroes).
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:44 pm

Like other people have said, the anime follows Kai and the manga follows the original Manga. As for the original Anime, it's sequel is probably GT.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:18 am

Puaru wrote:The manga. Gohan is too weak in the anime for it to be canon.
In both versions he used his Mystic form in the tournament and in both versions he took down a major fighter (Dyspo in the anime/Kefla in the manga) so how is he stronger in the manga ? In the anime he did even more like helping against that U3 giant near the end.

Puaru
Banned

Post by Puaru » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:37 am

sintzu wrote:
In both versions he used his Mystic form in the tournament and in both versions he took down a major fighter (Dyspo in the anime/Kefla in the manga) so how is he stronger in the manga ? In the anime he did even more like helping against that U3 giant near the end.
The anime made Gohan look like weak garbage who isn't even SSB level. He only managed to do damage to weakling characters like the namekians and Dyspo (Dyspo was just fast, not strong, or at least not SSB level). But luckily the manga showed Gohan being equall to SSJ Kefla and so proved that the anime was crap and that Gohan is in fact strong.

Kurakaio

Post by Kurakaio » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:44 am

Puaru wrote:
sintzu wrote:
The anime made Gohan look like weak garbage who isn't even SSB level. He only managed to do damage to weakling characters like the namekians and Dyspo (Dyspo was just fast, not strong, or at least not SSB level). But luckily the manga showed Gohan being equall to SSJ Kefla and so proved that the anime was crap and that Gohan is in fact strong.
The way Gohan wasn't written in the manga mkes NO sense.

It's stated that Goku > Gohan. Vados states that Kefla is unmatched in power, and Kale is shown to nen MSSB+ by herself.

Gohan then proceeds to stalemate her, yet he's still weaker than Goku.

The fight was just made to make Gohan look good.