Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

RunzaRants
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by RunzaRants » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:02 am

Yo guys, I have a random theory. I know this may sounds like it doesn't make any sense, but I'm gonna say this. What if, Broly, Kanba and Shallot were the older generation of "Z-Figthers" and the ancient heroes that were once fought for justice, harmony and peace just like the Z-Figthers during the earliest era of Saiyans and waaayy long before Bardock's era because those three saiyans are from the ancient times. Broly was before Goku, Kanba was before Vegeta, Shallot was before Future Trunks/Gohan, etc. I mean, Broly is a natural born supervillain because he's the Legendary Super Saiyan, a true killing machine, Kanba becoming an Evil Saiyan because of Fu (correct me if I'm wrong) and Shallot... I don't know, but he's also an ancient saiyan who lost his memory for unknown reasons. It could be very interesting to know if Broly, Kanba and Shallot are related and get to know more of their origins as well. It would be epic if they have their own saga/series about the three greatest ancient Saiyans and Broly being the hero from the ancient times and how he would turn into a supervillain for whatever reasons.

I also believe that they didn't just created them for nothing and there must be some reasons why they decided to create Kanba and Shallot and suddenly they announced the new Broly movie around after Kanba and Shallot were announced... I don't know, but I feel something is fishy going on around Toei Animation especially about Broly, Kanba and Shallot. It's like they are planning something special. Lol

If you take a look at Shallot's hair: https://www.deviantart.com/obsolete00/a ... -741044916

His hair looks exactly like this ancient primal saiyan from the past which could be him!: https://otakukart.com/wp-content/upload ... AE3FMk.jpg

Not to mention, Broly's and Kanba's left cheek have scars.

Broly's scar: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dra ... 0711014141

Kanba's scar: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dra ... 0823033309

So it actually convinced me to think and make a theory about it. I'd like to believe that they are indeed have a strong connection between those two very powerful Saiyans. Also, what if Broly or Kanba were the one that killed Yamoshi because it's been clearly stated that Yamoshi was defeated by evil Saiyans so it could be Broly or Kanba that killed Yamoshi.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16300
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:39 am

There are many, many, many theories/discussions going around regarding "ancient" Saiyans for some/all of these characters; this is indeed on the mind of quite a number of fans.

In case you're not aware, Kanba is a just direct romanization of the character's name as written in katakana (カンバー), which is the first part of the approximation of the English word "cucumber" (キューカンバー). As such, there is no reason to adapt his name as anything other than "Cumber" in our alphabet; it's all of the exact same syllables, with no extra flourishes, extensions, etc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

RunzaRants
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by RunzaRants » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:20 am

Yes, exactly! I'd like to believe that there must be something special going on around between Broly, Kanba and Shallot. As for Kanba's name, I already knew about it.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16300
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:27 am

Unless you're also and consistently using "Burorii" and "Sharotto" as the characters' name spellings (in which case you'd likewise be missing the point of them being puns on English words), there's no reason to ever type the name as "Kanba" unless you are filling out an info box italicizing what the original kana directly transliterates to.

Using these types of un-adapted spellings when the sources are obvious and known undermines and distracts from whatever other legitimate points and discussions you wish to contribute.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

RunzaRants
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by RunzaRants » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:08 am

Right, but I still personally prefer to call them by their English version names of Broly, Kanba and Shallot because I feel comfortable calling them like that. I've been using those names for many years. On a different note, I kinda hope that we get to see Kanba and Shallot in the upcoming DBS Broly movie as cameo appearances in a silhouette form to tell more stories about the Saiyans since they outright stated that this movie is also about the origins of Saiyans so I wouldn't be surprise if they actually appear in the movie.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5195
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by Grimlock » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:41 am

The "English version" of "Kanba" is "Cumber", so you probably may want to start using it instead.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16300
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:58 am

RunzaRants wrote:I've been using those names for many years.
Shallot has only existed for five months (and he wasn't even named right away), Cumber for only six months (also not to be named for a while after that; I believe only two/three months ago in conjunction with UVM3?).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2156
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:01 am

I’m sorry there is little to no evidence at all that supports this theory. In fact there is more evidence against this theory.
Not to mention the little evidence (if you could even call it that) that you do have is all over the place and contradictory. First you say Cumber, Broly, and Shallot fought for justice, harmony, and peace but then you say that Broly is a natural born supervillain and a true killing machine. So how can Broly be both a super villain and killer at birth but also fight for justice and peace? Makes no sense. And then later you even say that you think Cumber and Broly killed Yamoshi. But that just contradicts you theory that they were Z-Fighters of justice again. Make up your mind.

Broly isn’t an ancient saiyan. He’s a saiyan born on Planet Vegeta like Goku and Vegeta. So that already debunks that.

Nothing has stated that Fu is what made Cumber evil. In fact, I'm pretty sure its been either heavily hinted at or confirmed that Cumber was already an evil ancient saiyan before Fu got him.

As for comparing Shallot’s hair, thats not even an ancient primal saiyan! Thats literally part of the scene when Goku is going Super Saiyan 3! Where did you get the idea that that was an ancient primal saiyan!? That’s definitely not Shallot. The idea of Shallot didn’t even exist back then. Its Goku.

Saying Broly and Cumber having a scar on the same part of their face is horrible evidence. By that logic, Yamcha and Bardock are also ancient saiyan Z-Fighters to along with everyone else with a scar in their cheek.



The only thing that makes even a bit of sense is you thinking that either Broly or Cumber killed Yamoshi. That actually has evidence behind it. As for a relation between Cumber and Broly, the only thing we know is that there has been unconfirmed info that Cumber might be of the Broly lineage but it has a high chance of being bullshit.

But bottom line, your theory is, in my opinion, kinda sloppy. Your speculation is all over the place and you have no real evidence, no offense.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
Bebi Hatchiyack
Regular
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Re: Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:45 am

VegettoEX wrote:
RunzaRants wrote:I've been using those names for many years.
Shallot has only existed for five months (and he wasn't even named right away), Cumber for only six months (also not to be named for a while after that; I believe only two/three months ago in conjunction with UVM3?).
I think he means that he have his own way of spelling some of those names for I believe aesthetic reason. I also prefer using Kanba because it is more stylish to use this than Cumber, Kanba feels similar to Kimba the White Lion from the Japanese shōnen manga series created by Osamu Tezuka. Aside from that I use Broly with an Y becauuse it's more stylish than Broli. I am just all about aesthetism :D

As for the theory we have not so much explanation about all of those three and how their back story connects. So I am gonna be agree with AnimeNation101 on this one.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16300
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:53 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:I think he means that he have his own way of spelling some of those names for I believe aesthetic reason. I also prefer using Kanba because it is more stylish to use this than Cumber, Kanba feels similar to Kimba the White Lion from the Japanese shōnen manga series created by Osamu Tezuka. Aside from that I use Broly with an Y becauuse it's more stylish than Broli. I am just all about aesthetism :D
These reasons have absolutely no logic behind them and we will continue to push back against them.

We don't write "Sewn Goukew" "for aesthetic reasons".
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
Bebi Hatchiyack
Regular
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Re: Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:09 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:I think he means that he have his own way of spelling some of those names for I believe aesthetic reason. I also prefer using Kanba because it is more stylish to use this than Cumber, Kanba feels similar to Kimba the White Lion from the Japanese shōnen manga series created by Osamu Tezuka. Aside from that I use Broly with an Y becauuse it's more stylish than Broli. I am just all about aesthetism :D
These reasons have absolutely no logic behind them and we will continue to push back against them.

We don't write "Sewn Goukew" "for aesthetic reasons".
I know what you are meaning, since I am French and if we had the same structure of you english people to adapt every name, Kanba would become in France Combre since Cucumber is spelled Concombre but it's just too ridiculous looking Combre lol. In my opinion not everything should be adapted. As long as the name are still corresponding to their Japanese pronounciation I think we are good.

But that's just my opinion.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

RunzaRants
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by RunzaRants » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:16 pm

Grimlock wrote:The "English version" of "Kanba" is "Cumber", so you probably may want to start using it instead.
Ok sure, I will. Thanks for the info Grimlock. :D
VegettoEX wrote:Shallot has only existed for five months (and he wasn't even named right away), Cumber for only six months (also not to be named for a while after that; I believe only two/three months ago in conjunction with UVM3?).
Oh sorry, I was actually meant to say "Broly's" name.
AnimeNation101 wrote:I’m sorry there is little to no evidence at all that supports this theory. In fact there is more evidence against this theory.
Not to mention the little evidence (if you could even call it that) that you do have is all over the place and contradictory. First you say Cumber, Broly, and Shallot fought for justice, harmony, and peace but then you say that Broly is a natural born supervillain and a true killing machine. So how can Broly be both a super villain and killer at birth but also fight for justice and peace? Makes no sense. And then later you even say that you think Cumber and Broly killed Yamoshi. But that just contradicts you theory that they were Z-Fighters of justice again. Make up your mind.

Broly isn’t an ancient saiyan. He’s a saiyan born on Planet Vegeta like Goku and Vegeta. So that already debunks that.

Nothing has stated that Fu is what made Cumber evil. In fact, I'm pretty sure its been either heavily hinted at or confirmed that Cumber was already an evil ancient saiyan before Fu got him.

As for comparing Shallot’s hair, thats not even an ancient primal saiyan! Thats literally part of the scene when Goku is going Super Saiyan 3! Where did you get the idea that that was an ancient primal saiyan!? That’s definitely not Shallot. The idea of Shallot didn’t even exist back then. Its Goku.

Saying Broly and Cumber having a scar on the same part of their face is horrible evidence. By that logic, Yamcha and Bardock are also ancient saiyan Z-Fighters to along with everyone else with a scar in their cheek.



The only thing that makes even a bit of sense is you thinking that either Broly or Cumber killed Yamoshi. That actually has evidence behind it. As for a relation between Cumber and Broly, the only thing we know is that there has been unconfirmed info that Cumber might be of the Broly lineage but it has a high chance of being bullshit.

But bottom line, your theory is, in my opinion, kinda sloppy. Your speculation is all over the place and you have no real evidence, no offense.
I wouldn't be surprised if Akira Toriyama decided to make Broly an ancient Saiyan since this is the reboot version of Broly so he can do whatever he wants with it. Yeah, you were right about Shallot, I was totally wrong about it. I don't know, but I was just speculated about Broly's and Kanba's scars on their left cheek. I wasn't even base on facts. Everything I said above is full of speculation and theories with and without evidence. I understand, no worries man.

User avatar
Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: S.E. Michigan
Contact:

Re: Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by Zillamon51 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:17 pm

That's something I've always found juvenile, fanboy-ish, and off-putting about DB fandom: People making up their own names for things. If you speak / write in English, use the official English names. No "Beers," "Blooma," or "Gokou." I personally prefer "Freeza" to Frieza, but I don't own the character, so I use the latter.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

johnboy1
Regular
Posts: 690
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:15 pm

Re: Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by johnboy1 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:50 pm

Zillamon51 wrote:That's something I've always found juvenile, fanboy-ish, and off-putting about DB fandom: People making up their own names for things. If you speak / write in English, use the official English names. No "Beers," "Blooma," or "Gokou." I personally prefer "Freeza" to Frieza, but I don't own the character, so I use the latter.
Well, "Beers" and "Freeza" are used in the official English subtitles, so at least those have an excuse.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

User avatar
Xeztin
I Live Here
Posts: 2233
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:15 pm
Location: Toyotarō's Place

Re: Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by Xeztin » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:23 am

They are all ancient Saiyans, they all have those pupils when they become angry like Broly's angered state. We know that and we know Cumber has a relationship with Yamoshi and it made him very angry to see SSG Goku, so that points as evidence that Cumber helped kill him. I don't think Broly is a true ancient Saiyan, I believe for my theory that Paragus tried to recreate the Super Saiyan by injecting Ancient DNA of the past into his own son to overthrow King Vegeta and Freeza. I believe Shallot was on the side of Yamoshi. Broly is just a bio-genetic freak of nature science experiment that was frozen probably by King Vegeta to stop their experiments that Freeza comes across in the movie and tries to recruit him into his army to kill Goku. That's my theory and the reason I believe so strongly about Broly being a modern Saiyan is that they probably took inspiration from Bio-Broly.

ankokudaishogun
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:25 am

Son Gokou is also the spelling used on basically all the Japanese merchandising

RunzaRants
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Re: Broly, Kanba and Shallot

Post by RunzaRants » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:13 pm

Zillamon51 wrote:That's something I've always found juvenile, fanboy-ish, and off-putting about DB fandom: People making up their own names for things. If you speak / write in English, use the official English names. No "Beers," "Blooma," or "Gokou." I personally prefer "Freeza" to Frieza, but I don't own the character, so I use the latter.
It actually doesn't matter to me at all. If I say Kanba, surely you understand I'm referring to Cumber and when I say Cumber, surely you understand I'm referring to Kanba. It can goes both ways as long as the names are correct and it shouldn't be an issue at all. We are all fanboys here, so you're no different.
Xeztin wrote:They are all ancient Saiyans, they all have those pupils when they become angry like Broly's angered state. We know that and we know Cumber has a relationship with Yamoshi and it made him very angry to see SSG Goku, so that points as evidence that Cumber helped kill him. I don't think Broly is a true ancient Saiyan, I believe for my theory that Paragus tried to recreate the Super Saiyan by injecting Ancient DNA of the past into his own son to overthrow King Vegeta and Freeza. I believe Shallot was on the side of Yamoshi. Broly is just a bio-genetic freak of nature science experiment that was frozen probably by King Vegeta to stop their experiments that Freeza comes across in the movie and tries to recruit him into his army to kill Goku. That's my theory and the reason I believe so strongly about Broly being a modern Saiyan is that they probably took inspiration from Bio-Broly.
Nice theory bro! To me, since this is the reboot version of Broly, I won't be surprised if he is because Akira Toriyama can do anything about him. We still haven't get that much information about Broly yet but I would really love to see Broly to be an ancient Saiyan like Cumber and Shallot and it goes along the way with your theory about being frozen by King Vegeta and all. But if you think about it again, don't you think that if Broly got experimented, then we won't be able to see the true original power of Broly? Rather than being enhanced/upgraded?

Post Reply