Which world tournament did master roshi win?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Which world tournament did master roshi win?

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:10 pm

Which tournament was he referring to in the cell saga when he said he won it ? Was he talking about when he was Jackie Chun or a previous tournament he won? I wager he was referring to a previous tournament he won , he was after all known as the master of martial arts before Mr satan stole his thunder...

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Which world tournament did master roshi win?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:15 pm

I don't believe he won it before the 21st tournament.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:32 am

Yeah, I was imagining he was referring to the 21st Tournament, the first one ever depicted in the anime thanks to the second arc.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:12 am

It's assumed that he did win a previous tournament during his younger days but it's unknown which one. Otherwise, he wouldn't have already have had the title of "master of martial arts". If you count Movie #2, they search for Master Roshi because he won a martial arts tournament 50 years ago. We also know that Akkuman won it twice and King Chappa once.

It's in herms98' history of ever:
--DBZ Movie 2: The 13th Tenkaichi Budokai is held, and Kame-sennin is the champion.
[Ref: In the movie Dr. Kochin believes Kame-sennin is the strongest man in the world due to him having won the Tenkaichi Budokai 50 years ago, before Uiro was sealed in ice (the movie is in 762). They don’t specify the tournament number, but calculating forward from the first TB in 650, this would be the closest one to Uiro being sealed away.]
viewtopic.php?t=19669
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:55 am

KBABZ wrote:Yeah, I was imagining he was referring to the 21st Tournament, the first one ever depicted in the anime thanks to the second arc.
He was world renown as the master of martial arts he was famous he obviously at least one tournament prior to the 21st world martial arts tournament...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:25 am

Ssjcell wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Yeah, I was imagining he was referring to the 21st Tournament, the first one ever depicted in the anime thanks to the second arc.
He was world renown as the master of martial arts he was famous he obviously at least one tournament prior to the 21st world martial arts tournament...
Not necessarily. It's entirely possible that Tsuru Sen'nin beat Roshi a lot as well as Mutaito; Roshi in particular seemed to not be as wholly dedicated to Martial Arts after the first defeat of Piccolo Daimao, either.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:12 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Ssjcell wrote:
Not necessarily. It's entirely possible that Tsuru Sen'nin beat Roshi a lot as well as Mutaito; Roshi in particular seemed to not be as wholly dedicated to Martial Arts after the first defeat of Piccolo Daimao, either.
Besides the filler in the past roshi always had a leg up on crane and his master died like 300 years ago. Roshi was the king of martial arts and the guidebooks said he won the 13 th which makes sense...