Is Vegeta accountable?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:38 pm

When Vegeta arrived on Earth, even though he technically didn't cause death to anyone by his own hand, shouldn't he still be accountable for those who did die?
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

User avatar
Lionel
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1597
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:54 am

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by Lionel » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Culpability of leadership. Vegeta was technically the acting commander of the forces who infiltrated Earth on that day. He endorsed and encouraged all of the atrocities that occurred. They may not have died by his own two physical hands, but it was by his will and militancy that their lives were lost. So yes, I feel he should be held responsible for the deaths that occurred.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5709
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:15 pm

When people can be wished back to life so easily, murder isn't really as serious of a crime.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:34 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:When people can be wished back to life so easily, murder isn't really as serious of a crime.
Except those people who were killed during the Saiyan invasion were never wished back. So I'd say that them staying dead other than the Z-fighter renders Vegeta's, Nappa's, and to a lesser extent Raditz, as being held accountable for those deaths.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1047
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:06 am

I disagree with the idea that murder is not a serious crime when one can wish the victims back so easily.
Hulk is strongest one there is. -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I will never again bow to your charge! But I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking to Unicron controlled Megatron.

The arrogance of man is thinking that we are in control of our destiny. Let them fight. -Dr. Ishiro Serizawa to Admiral William Stenz.

I thank....... you......... -Broly to Cheelai

It's not right for you to say bad things about him. He is my dad." -Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about Paragus.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5709
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:12 am

Hulk10 wrote:I disagree with the idea that murder is not a serious crime when one can wish the victims back so easily.
Well it's really no worse than assault, if the effects aren't permanent.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1047
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:34 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:I disagree with the idea that murder is not a serious crime when one can wish the victims back so easily.
Well it's really no worse than assault, if the effects aren't permanent.
I personally disagree but that's just me.
Hulk is strongest one there is. -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I will never again bow to your charge! But I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking to Unicron controlled Megatron.

The arrogance of man is thinking that we are in control of our destiny. Let them fight. -Dr. Ishiro Serizawa to Admiral William Stenz.

I thank....... you......... -Broly to Cheelai

It's not right for you to say bad things about him. He is my dad." -Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about Paragus.

User avatar
Eire
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1042
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:58 pm
Location: The Promised Land
Contact:

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by Eire » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:33 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:I disagree with the idea that murder is not a serious crime when one can wish the victims back so easily.
Well it's really no worse than assault, if the effects aren't permanent.
He didn't intend to wish anyone back. Dragon Balls are exception, not the rule
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

User avatar
Logania
Regular
Posts: 593
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:47 am

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by Logania » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:37 am

If it was Nappa's doing with Vegeta not there at the time, then not really, but that didn't really happen. He was his leader and allowed all of it to happen and even had fun watching the group get murdered. He's just as guilty as Nappa was for the deaths of everyone involved.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

User avatar
SupremeKai25
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1269
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:28 am

He became Goku's ally, so he is no longer accountable for his multiple horrible war crimes. The same thing goes for Freeza. He was resurrected because he finally did a good action in his life for once, completely disregarding the trillions of innocent lives that he ruined, and the many more that will come, since he doesn't plan to end his evil ways. If Freeza kills any innocent after his resurrection (and he probably will because he is a sadistic psycopath who revels in evil), then the blood of those innocents are on the hands of Beerus, Whis and Goku too.
"Light of Divine Justice! Strike at me now! A cowering God who appeases evil can never prevail!"

Zamasu/Fused Zamasu fan.

User avatar
wolflonnie
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 299
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by wolflonnie » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:06 am

Of course he is. He commanded Nappa to attack the Z-Warriors. If I pay an assassin to kill somebody, I'm as responsable as him of the murderer.
That said, naturally the fact that he didn't directly kill anybody made it easier for the Z-Warriors to eventually forgive him.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20560
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:21 am

wolflonnie wrote:That said, naturally the fact that he didn't directly kill anybody made it easier for the Z-Warriors to eventually forgive him.
Tenshinhan never truly forgave Vegeta for what happened during the Saiyan arc.

User avatar
Eire
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1042
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:58 pm
Location: The Promised Land
Contact:

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by Eire » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:36 pm

But he stays silently into background while main cast pat Vegeta's back.
Honestly I don't like the motive that redemption or acceptance means instant forgiveness. Back in my Star Wars days I've seen lots of posts how Leia was an awful person for not forgetting that Vader was genocidal maniac the moment Luke told her that he changes in last minute. .
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

DragonBallFoodie
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:12 pm
Location: Zambia, Southern Africa

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:13 pm

He is accountable.

Now whether he has truly redeemed himself is another matter.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

User avatar
wolflonnie
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 299
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by wolflonnie » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:19 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
wolflonnie wrote:That said, naturally the fact that he didn't directly kill anybody made it easier for the Z-Warriors to eventually forgive him.
Tenshinhan never truly forgave Vegeta for what happened during the Saiyan arc.
It isn't shown, it's more a TFS kind.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10529
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:34 pm

wolflonnie wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
wolflonnie wrote:That said, naturally the fact that he didn't directly kill anybody made it easier for the Z-Warriors to eventually forgive him.
Tenshinhan never truly forgave Vegeta for what happened during the Saiyan arc.
It isn't shown, it's more a TFS kind.
It's shown. He still doubts Vegeta.

User avatar
Attitudefan
I Live Here
Posts: 2963
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Doctor. wrote:
wolflonnie wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Tenshinhan never truly forgave Vegeta for what happened during the Saiyan arc.
It isn't shown, it's more a TFS kind.
It's shown. He still doubts Vegeta.
I find it weird that Tenshinhan is made to look bad in that scene. He has a right to distrust Vegeta. Vegeta has a history of turning on his allies if the situation suits him, even Bulma (see Buu arc). Who's to say he wouldn't decide against it. Not only that, he only likes Goku around because it challenges his abilities; if Goku fell far behind, would Vegeta care to stick around and/or defend his friends?
DragonBallFoodie wrote:He is accountable.

Now whether he has truly redeemed himself is another matter.
Wouldn't accountability mean he cannot be redeemed?
I disagree with the idea that murder is not a serious crime when one can wish the victims back so easily.
The earthlings killed during the Saiyan invasion, other than the Z-fighters, were never wished back.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

User avatar
Apslup
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by Apslup » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Yeah, since he was Nappa's superior and the leader of the Saiyan Invasion of Earth. Also because when he fought Goku he intended on destroying the Planet, killing everyone on it.

DragonBallFoodie
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:12 pm
Location: Zambia, Southern Africa

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Wouldn't accountability mean Vegeta cannot be redeemed?
I'd take it to mean he has to work for his redemption.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8793
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:55 pm

That country-sized area that Nappa blew up was never revived.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Post Reply