Why was Cell afraid of the Final Flash?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Why was Cell afraid of the Final Flash?

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:17 am

He was near SSj2 level in Full power. He also tanked the Final Flash. So why was he scared?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why was Cell afraid of the Final Flash?

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:58 am

Clearly explained moments after: he's hamming it up just to mess with Vegeta. He calls him a fool for forgetting that he has Piccolo's ability to regenerate lost parts of his body.

That and it would probably have hurt regardless of the fact that he could grow them back later.

mcdjbeatz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdjbeatz » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:23 am

Cell was arrogant and suppressed his power to a level lower than the level of that he used at the cell games but enough to knock Vegeta around with ease. As a result Vegeta was able to unleash an attack which posed a threat to Cell which visibly shocked him. The fact that the final flash hit the right corner of Cell's torso rather than the centre seems to indicate that Cell realised too late how powerful the attack was and attempted to avoid it, it's unlikely that Vegeta simply missed considering he had enough control to narrow the blast.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:24 am

If it had hit his core he might have died.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:02 am

Full Charged Final Flash was simply stronger than Cell's ability to tank it.

Think of it as concentrating the power of Grade-3 in a single blast: Cell just underestimated how much power Vegeta really could use in a single strike.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:29 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:If it had hit his core he might have died.
Given how he explains it later in the Cell Games, I doubt Cell had any idea his biology worked like that. I suspect it was a natural instinct of "Oh no that could vaporize all of me!", and is why he had the same reaction when Goku used the Warp Kamehameha on him.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:53 am

KBABZ wrote:
Given how he explains it later in the Cell Games, I doubt Cell had any idea his biology worked like that. I suspect it was a natural instinct of "Oh no that could vaporize all of me!", and is why he had the same reaction when Goku used the Warp Kamehameha on him.
To be fair, it did kill him. He only survived through the power of plothole.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:13 am

He was hamming it up for Vegeta afterward, but I do think the brief moment of fear he has before it hits is genuine. It took out the whole right side of his body. His regenerative powers are a major attribute, but it's not as though he can't be killed.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:16 am

Probably because Toriyama didn't initially make the gap between him and Vegeta as ridiculously big as it later is. Cell even says Trunks is stronger than him in Grade 3 later.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 pm

that "core" crap isnt consistent so I dont think we can really point to that. I think it was either just him knowing that he could have regenerated the damage and so he was playing it up to mess with Vegeta, or he wasnt intended to be as strong as he eventually ended up being in the Cell Games so it was actually a threat to him.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:35 pm

He underestimated the power of the attack and realized it could have killed him if he didn't block it at the last second.