What is with Vegeta and similar attacks?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13021
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

What is with Vegeta and similar attacks?

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:48 pm

We have the Galick Gun, Final Flash, Gamma Burst Flash, Final Shine Attack, etc. As well as the Big Bang Attack. I mean Goku just stuck with the Kamehameha..which then became Super Kamehameha...and even then he just calls it the Kamehameha now. Though he does make it 10x Kamehameha.

I guess Super is what complicates things, but could also bring more discussion to the evolution of the beam attacks. Before it Vegeta just stopped using the previous attacks after adopting a new one. Though it could be argued why not just use like a Super Galick Gun or whatever. Though with Super we get to see all the attacks used.

So for fun I wonder why use Galick Gun again when you have Final Flash. Why use Final Flash if Gamma Burst Flash is an improvement. I'm not looking for errors or whatever, but thinking of the utility of having so many of these attacks that basically do the same thing.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

User avatar
Lionel
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1803
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:54 am

Re: What is with Vegeta and similar attacks?

Post by Lionel » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:56 pm

Larger amplifier? Personal flavour of the arc? In my opinion, Vegeta has one of the most unimaginative movesets for a main character in the show. Were it not for transformations and Saiyan genetics I daresay he would be a pretty unremarkable fighter -- from an outsider's perspective.

ankokudaishogun
Regular
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: What is with Vegeta and similar attacks?

Post by ankokudaishogun » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:10 am

IIRC in the original manga Vegeta never goes back to prevous attacks once he makes a new one

That said, it's likely a matter of energy efficiency and charging time

User avatar
Burakku
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Re: What is with Vegeta and similar attacks?

Post by Burakku » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:34 pm

Yeah Vegeta's fightingnis so damn boring with muaaah ki blasts and nothing more.

Only Gohan tops him with a boring move set

Kataphrut
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1467
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: What is with Vegeta and similar attacks?

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:44 am

Like everything to do with Vegeta, it's all a big mid-life crisis analogy. If you go with the ones he actually names, Galick Gun is the standard big beam, Big Bang Attack is the new big beam to show off how powerful he got as a Super Saiyan, and the Final Flash is the biggest, baddest beam to show he's the biggest, baddest man. And of course he only ever uses them once (in the manga) and they all have ostentatious English names.

Video games have found a way to make them all work (in FighterZ for example, Galick Gun and BBA are lvl 1 Supers, Final Flash is a lvl 3) and they're ubiquitous enough now that he can just cycle through them all in Super. I guess he's more secure by then so it doesn't matter as much.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 852
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:22 am

Re: What is with Vegeta and similar attacks?

Post by zarmack » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:34 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Like everything to do with Vegeta, it's all a big mid-life crisis analogy. If you go with the ones he actually names, Galick Gun is the standard big beam, Big Bang Attack is the new big beam to show off how powerful he got as a Super Saiyan, and the Final Flash is the biggest, baddest beam to show he's the biggest, baddest man. And of course he only ever uses them once (in the manga) and they all have ostentatious English names.

Video games have found a way to make them all work (in FighterZ for example, Galick Gun and BBA are lvl 1 Supers, Final Flash is a lvl 3) and they're ubiquitous enough now that he can just cycle through them all in Super. I guess he's more secure by then so it doesn't matter as much.
No offense but that is some of the most ridiculous piece of armchair psychology I've ever read with Dragonball lmao. To put it simply, any mid-life crisis Vegeta had only begins after the Cell Games, which was after all those techniques were created.

Its much more likely that Vegeta's attacks aren't that creative is because DB in general isn't very creative with techniques, and the most creative ones are typically rendered useless after their first use.

Kataphrut
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1467
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: What is with Vegeta and similar attacks?

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:58 pm

zarmack wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Like everything to do with Vegeta, it's all a big mid-life crisis analogy. If you go with the ones he actually names, Galick Gun is the standard big beam, Big Bang Attack is the new big beam to show off how powerful he got as a Super Saiyan, and the Final Flash is the biggest, baddest beam to show he's the biggest, baddest man. And of course he only ever uses them once (in the manga) and they all have ostentatious English names.

Video games have found a way to make them all work (in FighterZ for example, Galick Gun and BBA are lvl 1 Supers, Final Flash is a lvl 3) and they're ubiquitous enough now that he can just cycle through them all in Super. I guess he's more secure by then so it doesn't matter as much.
No offense but that is some of the most ridiculous piece of armchair psychology I've ever read with Dragonball lmao. To put it simply, any mid-life crisis Vegeta had only begins after the Cell Games, which was after all those techniques were created.

Its much more likely that Vegeta's attacks aren't that creative is because DB in general isn't very creative with techniques, and the most creative ones are typically rendered useless after their first use.
So you agree with me that there is a mid-life crisis angle, you just disagree when.

I mean, yeah your second point is valid too. This is why the three Vegeta variants in FighterZ felt less necessary than the three Gokus.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 852
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:22 am

Re: What is with Vegeta and similar attacks?

Post by zarmack » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:20 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
zarmack wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Like everything to do with Vegeta, it's all a big mid-life crisis analogy. If you go with the ones he actually names, Galick Gun is the standard big beam, Big Bang Attack is the new big beam to show off how powerful he got as a Super Saiyan, and the Final Flash is the biggest, baddest beam to show he's the biggest, baddest man. And of course he only ever uses them once (in the manga) and they all have ostentatious English names.

Video games have found a way to make them all work (in FighterZ for example, Galick Gun and BBA are lvl 1 Supers, Final Flash is a lvl 3) and they're ubiquitous enough now that he can just cycle through them all in Super. I guess he's more secure by then so it doesn't matter as much.
No offense but that is some of the most ridiculous piece of armchair psychology I've ever read with Dragonball lmao. To put it simply, any mid-life crisis Vegeta had only begins after the Cell Games, which was after all those techniques were created.

Its much more likely that Vegeta's attacks aren't that creative is because DB in general isn't very creative with techniques, and the most creative ones are typically rendered useless after their first use.
So you agree with me that there is a mid-life crisis angle, you just disagree when.

I mean, yeah your second point is valid too. This is why the three Vegeta variants in FighterZ felt less necessary than the three Gokus.
The point was that his techniques couldn't possibly be the result of a mid-life crisis because they were all created before it happened.

Post Reply