How come Taopaipai never learned how to fly?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

How come Taopaipai never learned how to fly?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:52 pm

It was originally a crane school technique, after all. You would figure he would know it.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: How come Taopaipai never learned how to fly?

Post by Lionel » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:22 pm

Perhaps he didn't have the necessary stamina supply for maintaining it? I mean Tenshinhan during the Daimou arc elected to use a hover vehicle instead of simply fly to where the capital was. When he rescued Goku from Daimou's attack, it somehow drained him of energy despite not having fought for very long beforehand. What does that say? Now Tao Pai Pai at the 23rd tournament is a different kettle of fish. We never saw him in a position that would warrant using bukujutsu, but the fact his brother elected to fly away from the arena with him in his arms implies that they do have the stamina for some length and quality of flight by that point.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:51 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:It was originally a crane school technique, after all. You would figure he would know it.
All things considered, chucking a pole and then riding it probably consumes less ki than moving oneself for flight. Considering that even Videl can do it with ease, I'm guessing Tao may have a viewpoint reason as to why he doesn't fly. It may even be possible that the Crane school didn't develop the technique until after Tao left, so he simply never learnt about it.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:09 am

Goku himself had been using Nimbus for a very long time too, before he actually flew by his own.
Wasn't it untill the Piccolo Jr. / World Tournament saga after his extented training with Kame and Popo untill we first saw him fly without Nimbus?
So knowing the context of that era, it wasn't strange Paipai used a pole in my regards.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:35 am

To the OP:

Because Toriyama never gave him the ability when he was introduced.

What's baffling is why can't his cyborg form fly?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:25 am

I suppose at the time bukkujustu was more like a hovering technique rather than flight (one could say the latter is a more advanced version?) that seemingly consumes stamina at lower battle powers. With that in mind, maybe he saw it more like a perk without much use in combat so riding pillars would be a cheaper and faster alternative? Considering how expensive his services were, and the fact that he killed the tailor to skip the payment, he strikes to me as a cheapskate. Despite all that, I agree it's weird he never seemed to have learned it.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:09 pm

Well there's no logical explanation except to make Tao Pai Pai's character unique since it's cool for him to throw a pole and ride on it. Roshi even now, in DBS, has not learned to fly while baby Pan hasq. It's not that Tao or Roshi can't learn it but they simply did not and got used to it. Martial arts is much more interesting to watch when the characters are grounded. It's one of the reasons why flying was prohibited in the Tournament of Power. Using strategies like a kamehameha to propel one back to the ring makes the competition more challenging.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:07 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:Wasn't it untill the Piccolo Jr. / World Tournament saga after his extented training with Kame and Popo untill we first saw him fly without Nimbus?
Goku presumably learned it during that gap, but he didn't demonstrate it until he used it as his final card to play against Piccolo Jr. After that he still flew with the Nimbus, but he wouldn't consistently fly until he got to Namek.

On the subject, Krillin learns to fly in the training for the Saiyan arrival, and Gohan... Gohan sorta learns it off-screen somehow and can suddenly fly when Goku starts his fight with Vegeta.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:43 am

KBABZ wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:Wasn't it untill the Piccolo Jr. / World Tournament saga after his extented training with Kame and Popo untill we first saw him fly without Nimbus?
Goku presumably learned it during that gap, but he didn't demonstrate it until he used it as his final card to play against Piccolo Jr. After that he still flew with the Nimbus, but he wouldn't consistently fly until he got to Namek.

On the subject, Krillin learns to fly in the training for the Saiyan arrival, and Gohan... Gohan sorta learns it off-screen somehow and can suddenly fly when Goku starts his fight with Vegeta.
Kuririn knew how to fly in the 23rd martial arts tournament

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:23 am

Ssjcell wrote:
KBABZ wrote:

Shoot that's right! Totally forgot, that's my least-watched arc of the OG anime.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:13 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:To the OP:

Because Toriyama never gave him the ability when he was introduced.
I think this is one of my biggest pet peeves in this forum,

You're in the 'In-Universe Discussion' section, it's literally made for fan speculation

'Cuz Toriyama lol' doesn't help anyone here.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:45 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Ssjcell wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Goku presumably learned it during that gap, but he didn't demonstrate it until he used it as his final card to play against Piccolo Jr. After that he still flew with the Nimbus, but he wouldn't consistently fly until he got to Namek.

Shoot that's right! Totally forgot, that's my least-watched arc of the OG anime.

During DB flying without aids wasn't as common as during DBZ or Super, that was the essence of the argument.
The story was still 'discovering its grounds', or as you wish to call it 'elements that would only become standard later on, emerged during DB'.
Toriyama isn't that kind of a planner by nature, he can discover things, only to standardize it later on.