Who would have been more useful in the future timeline: Krillin or Piccolo

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
nickzambuto
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1508
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Who would have been more useful in the future timeline: Krillin or Piccolo

Post by nickzambuto » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:30 pm

When fighting Android 18 and Android 17. When it comes to training Trunks, and interacting with the Androids, etc. Could either of them have made the difference?

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Who would have been more useful in the future timeline: Krillin or Piccolo

Post by Ssjcell » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:59 pm

No they could have made a difference but they couldn't swing the fight Kuririn could have made it easier to escape with the solar flare the kienzan never hits anybody anyways
Piccolo could have sparred with him and potentially gotten stronger so could trunks but unless they could gang up on either 17 or 18 which would have been impossible since they were smart enough not to isolate

BWri
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 1:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Who would have been more useful in the future timeline: Krillin or Piccolo

Post by BWri » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:08 pm

nickzambuto wrote:When fighting Android 18 and Android 17. When it comes to training Trunks, and interacting with the Androids, etc. Could either of them have made the difference?
The experience of the Big 3 fighters such as Goku, Piccolo, and Vegeta would be invaluable in this timeline. The death of these three are likely the major reason why Gohan ended up being so weak and not living up to his current timeline potential. That said, having a trainer such as Piccolo would have greatly benefited both Gohan and Trunks. Plus, if Piccolo fuses with Kami the Androids are instantly done or if Piccolo stays alive, there are Dragon Balls.

Krillin would be useful too as a trainer and fighter. Not as useful as Piccolo in either regard, but still highly useful. As a trainer, his techniques and clever fighting strategies could be passed on to Trunks making the young Saiyan even more dangerous. As a fighter Krillin is extremely dangerous to the future Androids who can't sense power levels. Guerilla tactics in a cityscape with a few taiyokens and kienzans could win the future.

As a fighter, I'd go with Piccolo because of Krillin's poor track record of killing ANYTHING with kienzan. I find that more unreliable since Krillin will only have one shot to do this right. As soon as he messes up, he's dead. Piccolo still has immense potential at this level and knowledge of the hyperbolic time chamber. With normal Earth training, he can get as strong as SSJ Trunks and SSJ Gohan in only a few years and in the chamber it'd only take them a day.

As a trainer, I'd still go with Piccolo. Krillin's training would make for a more dangerous Trunks in terms of skill and technique because of Krillin's approach to combat. However, Piccolo's method of training would make for a much stronger pair of Saiyans due to having a strong training partner. Piccolo is also a harsh trainer and has shown great skill in bringing out Gohan's Ultimate potential in Super.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

User avatar
Lionel
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1597
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:54 am

Re: Who would have been more useful in the future timeline: Krillin or Piccolo

Post by Lionel » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:48 am

Piccolo for power and Krillin for technical expertise as it was explained. Many of the abilities that Piccolo possesses are derivatives of his own Namekian species. What all is it that could be taught which Trunks couldn't already glean from Gohan? The Special Beam Cannon is one possibility. Techniques had become so homogenised by that point in the series that they were almost interchangeable in their appearance and application. Krillin would be more beneficial if you ask me.

If the group knew to train together then why couldn't even Krillin attain a higher power level? Not as high as the Super Saiyans obviously, but the tens of millions doesn't sound unreasonable. Have Piccolo and Krillin somehow learn the Kaioken and you wouldn't even need Trunks to help fight the cyborgs. A more traditional altercation would involve Trunks and Gohan simply getting powerful enough to handle the cyborgs using SSJ.

User avatar
Pantalones
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1424
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:30 pm

Re: Who would have been more useful in the future timeline: Krillin or Piccolo

Post by Pantalones » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:51 am

Piccolo still being alive means Kami still being alive, which means they still have Dragon Balls. There's not really any way Krillin can compete with that.

They could wish for a way to become stronger and find out about the Room of Spirit and Time that way, for example -- let's say Piccolo goes in with Gohan first, Gohan goes in with Trunks next, and then Piccolo goes back in alone so all three get their two year-days of training in. Piccolo would be able to get just as strong as the Piccolo we know from the Android Saga, while Trunks and Gohan both power up to Android Saga levels as well, and since these are the weaker future Androids the three of them together should probably have a good chance of winning after that. Or maybe the dragon tells them about the Fusion Dance instead -- Gohan and Piccolo (because Trunks is still a kid and not similar enough to Gohan in either size or power yet) fuse and become tens of times stronger than they were individually... and if they can go Super Saiyan when fused, they'd easily crushing the Androids even with the time limit. They could wish to find the location of New Namek so they'd have access to the Namekian Dragon Balls even if Piccolo ended up dying again, as well as getting their potential unlocked by the elder there (not the same elder who died back in the Freeza Saga, but hey, presumably somebody on New Namek knows how to do the same trick.) They could wish back those who died in battle, too, of course, but that can wait until the Androids are gone.

User avatar
Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 499
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:33 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Who would have been more useful in the future timeline: Krillin or Piccolo

Post by Rubens » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:42 am

Definitly Piccolo... if he survived the first encounter with the androids he'd immediatly meet with Kami so they could fuse because that's exactly what he did anyway. If he uses the dragon balls before that they could bring back the rest of the group too. Once fused I'm sure he would handle the androids by himself, who were stated to be weaker in the future; even if not, the others would be around to help.

Posing this question from another angle - from the "mentor perspective" - while both of them would be equally competent, I still think Piccolo would have been a more fitting master for Gohan and Trunks.
Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.


Also a Berserk fan!

BWri
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 1:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Who would have been more useful in the future timeline: Krillin or Piccolo

Post by BWri » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:36 pm

Lionel wrote:Piccolo for power and Krillin for technical expertise as it was explained. Many of the abilities that Piccolo possesses are derivatives of his own Namekian species. What all is it that could be taught which Trunks couldn't already glean from Gohan? The Special Beam Cannon is one possibility. Techniques had become so homogenised by that point in the series that they were almost interchangeable in their appearance and application. Krillin would be more beneficial if you ask me.
I like your way of thinking! I do disagree in a few places though. I think, more than techniques, which Piccolo has plenty original ones that Trunks could benefit from, Piccolo's ruthless approach to combat could be passed on. Sneak attacks, maiming, and all out brutality are things Piccolo would pass on to Trunks that Gohan or Krillin would not especially in this darker age. Imagine Trunks playing possum then blasting #18 through the shoulder with a mouth blast then retreating. Androids wouldn't have a way to repair that kind of damage.
If the group knew to train together then why couldn't even Krillin attain a higher power level? Not as high as the Super Saiyans obviously, but the tens of millions doesn't sound unreasonable.
He'd 100% get stronger but not by much. We have to consider what's shown to us. For some reason this is a future where even young Saiyans are stagnant when it comes to power growth. We don't know the in-universe reason for this but my guess would be because of lack of available nutrients and lack of the fighting geniuses Goku, Piccolo, and Vegeta with their crazy training methods. If this was Super, Krillin could train to easily become SSJ+ level.
Have Piccolo and Krillin somehow learn the Kaioken and you wouldn't even need Trunks to help fight the cyborgs. A more traditional altercation would involve Trunks and Gohan simply getting powerful enough to handle the cyborgs using SSJ.
It's crazy how much mystical training was denied to Trunks and Gohan. Why the heck didn't Roshi help further their skills? Where was the Z-Fighters in the afterlife? Why weren't they training with King Kai again and in contact with the Namekians on New Namek to wish them all back? Why didn't at least Gohan make the Snake Way trip? Is it cuz Kami's gone?

Anyway, in this scenario it's likely neither would get to learn Kaioken since Earth seems to be cutoff from the afterlife or maybe with Kami still there, maybe they can. With King Kai training for Trunks, Gohan, Krillin, or Piccolo the Androids are toast.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

User avatar
Akyon
Regular
Posts: 677
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:02 am

Re: Who would have been more useful in the future timeline: Krillin or Piccolo

Post by Akyon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:59 pm

In a fight? Neither. They're both below the Androids and even if they could get stronger they'd tire out first.

HOWEVER that doesn't mean either would be useless in stopping the Androids.

Krillin honestly could probably have talked them round.
I know that 17 and 18 were meant to be super evil, but there's never any explaination of why they're so 'different'. Providing Vegeta didn't attempt to murder either of them(Which is probably where Piccolo would come in handy, trying to stop him), Krillin's a personable enough dude he'd probably be able to convince 17 and 18 there's tons of fun crap to do on Earth that doesn't involve murdering everyone.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors


"Fuck."

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Who would have been more useful in the future timeline: Krillin or Piccolo

Post by Ssjcell » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:00 am

Akyon wrote:In a fight? Neither. They're both below the Androids and even if they could get stronger they'd tire out first.

HOWEVER that doesn't mean either would be useless in stopping the Androids.

Krillin honestly could probably have talked them round.
I know that 17 and 18 were meant to be super evil, but there's never any explaination of why they're so 'different'. Providing Vegeta didn't attempt to murder either of them(Which is probably where Piccolo would come in handy, trying to stop him), Krillin's a personable enough dude he'd probably be able to convince 17 and 18 there's tons of fun crap to do on Earth that doesn't involve murdering everyone.
I disagree about Kuririn being about to convince the Android's to stop destroying the planet. They were pretty evil and also we have no indication that Kuririn didn't try to convince them to stop before he was killed.

User avatar
Koitsukai
Regular
Posts: 641
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: Who would have been more useful in the future timeline: Krillin or Piccolo

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:28 am

Akyon wrote:In a fight? Neither. They're both below the Androids and even if they could get stronger they'd tire out first.

HOWEVER that doesn't mean either would be useless in stopping the Androids.

Krillin honestly could probably have talked them round.
I know that 17 and 18 were meant to be super evil, but there's never any explaination of why they're so 'different'. Providing Vegeta didn't attempt to murder either of them(Which is probably where Piccolo would come in handy, trying to stop him), Krillin's a personable enough dude he'd probably be able to convince 17 and 18 there's tons of fun crap to do on Earth that doesn't involve murdering everyone.
I always thought that they were so evil in the future because they were kidnapped, modified and brainwashed(poorly) to kill someone that died on his own before or around the time they were activated. Made for nothing, no purpose whatsoever, built to kill a dude that was already dead and they just got even with the world. Juvenile delincuents with superpowers that probably went on a rampage and faced the Z-warriors and killed them. Weaker Z-warriors, so perhaps they killed them with not much effort or real intention to. They lasted for like two blows even with 3 years of training in the present.
We don't know for sure if they ever managed to kill Dr Gero or if he died while becoming an android, and were activated by Gero's computer, maybe they didn't even managed to retaliate against Gero. I'd like to believe the influence of 16 in the present helped somehow to lessen their reckless behaviour. Pure headcannon, of course. Haven't come up with an explanation as of why they were stronger in the present, though.

Post Reply