Who Should Return Or Be Canonized Next?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Who Should Return Or Be Canonized Next?

Post by omegacwa » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:09 am

If it has to be a movie character I would say Garlic Jr or Tapion/Hirudegarn. I personally don't care about Cooler since he's "just another Freeza". I don't want Tullece because please no more evil Goku, Goku black was done well and that's enough. We already have canon Broly. Honestly no more Saiyans. If you want to use them use the Universe 6 ones.

Here's a random thought. Combine Garlic Jr. and Hirudegarn into one story. Garlic Jr can be the creator of the giant monster. Have Garlic Jr also be somewhat powerful so that the lesser characters can have someone to fight. Tapion can still be there, you can even have him train Trunks because he "see's a light similar to his younger brother inside of him" which would lead to present Trunks becoming more like future Trunks which I think everyone would like.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:06 am

omegacwa wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:09 amI don't want Tullece because please no more evil Goku, Goku black was done well and that's enough. We already have canon Broly. Honestly no more Saiyans. If you want to use them use the Universe 6 ones.
To be fair Tullece can be reworked as an Brother of Bardock and have Daizu being his son. Slug can also be reworked as a minion for Cooler but plotting against him.

Here is just some ideas I throw.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:45 am

I'd be cool with Lord Slug returning as an evil Namekian from Universe 6. But the chances of Super exploring any place but Earth seem rather small. The closest thing we got was the Tournament of Power. So I doubt we're going to get a Universe 6 villain.

As for the rest, while part of me would like to see Towa, Mira, and Chronoa canonized, I know that could lead to a lot of time traveling shenanigans I'd prefer to stay in the video games. Maybe there could be a little nod to their existence, without actually having them appear as part of the story.

If Toriyama ever remembers that the Demon Realm is still a thing, we could get Janemba out of that. In general, though, I would prefer Super stuck to original ideas.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:58 am

ZeroNeonix wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:45 am I'd be cool with Lord Slug returning as an evil Namekian from Universe 6. But the chances of Super exploring any place but Earth seem rather small. The closest thing we got was the Tournament of Power. So I doubt we're going to get a Universe 6 villain.
The fact that the relationship between Vegeta and Cabba was brought up many times and Vegeta's desire to go to Sadala has lead to absolutely nothing, I feel like Dragon Ball will never expand to another universe.

I'm personally disappointed that nothing has happened with this story thread. Seems like wasted potential.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:05 am

omegacwa wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:58 am
ZeroNeonix wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:45 am I'd be cool with Lord Slug returning as an evil Namekian from Universe 6. But the chances of Super exploring any place but Earth seem rather small. The closest thing we got was the Tournament of Power. So I doubt we're going to get a Universe 6 villain.
I'm personally disappointed that nothing has happened with this story thread. Seems like wasted potential.
Nothing yet.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:29 pm

As for the rest, while part of me would like to see Towa, Mira, and Chronoa canonized, I know that could lead to a lot of time traveling shenanigans I'd prefer to stay in the video games. Maybe there could be a little nod to their existence, without actually having them appear as part of the story.

If Toriyama ever remembers that the Demon Realm is still a thing, we could get Janemba out of that. In general, though, I would prefer Super stuck to original ideas.
Toei gave a mini-arc to hit is not that it is not possible ...
while the "DB series" continue the events before the epilogue, this is still possible

Nineteen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nineteen » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:17 am

I might be the only person who doesn't want Cooler canonized. It isn't that I dislike the character, but I do think he's too similar to Frieza in appearance and power-set, and Golden Frieza has outworn his welcome with me, not to mention Frost etc. Time to put the Cold Clan on... ice... for a good long while.

Going through the list of non-canonical villains to see what works makes some sense.

The Movies:

Garlic Jr: I like this in theory; anything exploring the back history of Kami/the Nameless Namekian is alright in my book. But I don't necessarily want the character himself back; design-wise he's basically Pilaf, who we've already seen in Super, and the immortality angle was usurped by Zamasu. Not to mention the Z filler arc has already thoroughly explored this character.

The basic gist though - a rival to Kami for the position of Earth's God - is a solid basis for a future villain.

Dr. Wheelo: I really like Wheelo, and the whole of Movie 2. But his character arc was basically reproduced in the Android Saga of Z. I see no way to integrate him into the canon without being redundant. But future installments should look to the vibe of these early films for inspiration.

Turles: Again, this character's essential concept has already been superseded by something already in-continuity, in this case Goku Black.

However, the Tree Of Might works very well as a MacGuffin, perhaps coupled to a villain with Garlic Jr.'s backstory: a rival to Kami for the posit of godhood who stole the seeds of a mystical tree whose fruit would grant him nigh-omnipotence. The potential for allusions to Western religion could make for some interesting storytelling here.

Lord Slug: Piccolo Daimao clone. Pass, unless the Book of Namekian Legends is somehow grafted onto his character.

Cooler: Dealt with above.

Androids 13, 14 and 15: Redundant.

Broly: Done.

Bojack: This character has a great deal of potential, though it's hard to figure out what precisely to do with him. His original backstory, as some kind of space pirate, is a little too close to Frieza's for my comfort. But I like his design well enough, and the idea that destroying Kaio-Sama's world had some kind of long-term consequence.

Jamemba: I like his power-set as Super Janemba, simply because reality-warping isn't really a done thing in Dragonball, and his origin story as an amalgamation of the concentrated evil in Hell. But as portrayed in the film he's a little too close to Majin Buu. Nix the Fat Janemba form and maybe redesign his Super version and I think you have a good candidate for canonization.

Hirudegarn: The idea of a kaiju-like villain is fine. Hirudegarn himself is generic enough that it doesn't matter whether or not you import him into the canon.

GT/Other:

Baby: If we can stomach another Saiyan-centric story so soon after the Broly movie, he's an obvious contender. Perhaps combine him with Hatchiyak and I think you have a lot potential here.

Super 17: Doesn't work as a canon immigrant because of the way 17 is depicted in Super.

The Shadow Dragons: This is the obvious example of something that needs to be canonized just because it's such a good idea.

That said, other than Syn, Ice and Nova, the Dragons badly need a redesign. Keep their personalities and the traits they acquired from the wishes that made them - but design them to be less goofy and more threatening.

On the whole, I like the basic idea of Garlic Jr.'s background, the Tree of Might as a plot device, Bojack's visual design and basic concept, Super Janemba's back story and power set, the idea of a kaiju-inspired monster heel, Baby, and the Shadow Dragons. Everything else can and should remain non-canon.

Here's my idea, drawing on a couple of thess disparate concepts:

Kami had a rival to the throne of Earth's God, who stole a sapling of the sacred Tree of Might from deep within the look-out but was sealed away by Kaio (who understood his potential threat level) in his planetoid before he could plant it.

The character was freed when Cell self-destructed, and has spent the last decade gathering allies from across existence. He returns to Earth and plants the sapling while Goku &Co. are preoccupied with goings-on in the Heavens and, upon eating the fruit, has his power increased exponentially and gains the power to manipulate matter at a molecular level.

He overthrows Dende and assumes his position as God of Earth. And, as befitting a God, he creates a set of his own - black star - Dragonballs which, if used, will split open and threaten the very existence of the universe. Beerus instructs Goku to deal with the problem.
Dr. Gero: I cleared the area of innocents, in accordance with your wishes. Do you disagree with my methods?
Goku: Grr...leave these people out of this!
Android 19: There are no people left to leave out.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:13 pm

We just had Freezas and Brolys return. Those villains and ideas already exist, within another continuity, but they do exist. As far i'm concerned, no one has to be canonized, it brings me no extra value if they are re-invented in the main continuity. I truely prefer original ideas like the Goku Black arc. Janemba is my favourite movie villain, but i prefer they leave him where he belongs, in the original Fusion Reborn.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:20 pm

Nobody. Make someone new.

lordsigma

Post by lordsigma » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:11 pm

None unless there is a compelling reason to bring back an existing character that enhances the current product. I’d rather just see them focus on telling the story they want to tell and not worrying about bringing in fan favorite characters from other DB related properties that aren’t canon to the current product just for the purposes of making them canon to Super. Dragon Ball has always been a series of many different what if stories and Super is another what if. Most fans consider Super the main official canon and that’s fine, but with retcons and plot holes being part of dragon balls history, pinning down an official canon that flows consistently is murky. To me it’s hard to buy the original end of DBZ/Kai/the manga and Super in the same timeline with everything that’s happened in Super, but That doesn’t bother me all that much honestly. If Super represents the canon series along with the manga, then none of the original anime series are canon and really only Kai is. If you want to see GT or movie characters, watch GT and the movies - does it really matter if the old original DB/Z/GT anime series aren’t considered canon in the current product? That doesn’t mean that previous product doesn’t still have value. I still enjoy DBGT as the sequel to the original 1989 DBZ anime. I enjoy Super as the current product. I don’t feel the need for everything to exist in one canon storyline. Tell the story you want to tell with the new series and movies - no need to look back. I had mixed feelings about revisiting Broly (but I am bias as I was never a big Broly fan.) but that’s my take on this.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:26 am

Considering how well they did Broly, I wouldn't mind all of them, as long as they were modernised, and added dimension, or two.

Tapion, for instance, was very cool, for what little time he had in franchise; him becoming Future Trunks rival could work.

Raditz, Bardock, and Gine returning, or surviving, being brought to life for whatever reason, and interacting with Goku, and his friends would have been something I'd like to see.
Actually, I wouldn't have anything against the entire planet Vegeta being restored, simply for the potential of interactions, and, well, more Saiyans.
Authors can give whatever excuse, or explanation they want.

This whole Dragon Ball being brought to life happening is fanservice, anyway.

Surai

Post by Surai » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:46 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:20 pm Nobody. Make someone new.
This.

Although I must admit the fanboy inside me would be incredibly excited if Janemba became canon but it doesn’t mean it’d be a good thing. They should stop being lazy and unimaginative by capitalizing on old things that worked and just create genuinely new and refreshing characters. There are plenty of interesting things and ideas they could exploit in this universe and it’s frustrating they don’t do anything with them.

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 pm

Baby, Android 21, Cooler, the Tree of Might concept and Tapion are my choices.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:54 am

Android 21 and Super 17 would be awesome.

Maybe she could be the master mind behind the plan instead of Gero and Myuu.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:35 am

well this art is good but maybe it can work like sadala arc

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:39 am

Tullece as a U6 Saiyan would be interesting but I think I'd like to see him as a brother to Bardock maybe. This way a potential story could be one of revenge while also touching back on and forcing Gokuu to confront blood ties again. Hell, maybe Tullece likes Raditz and comes to Earth to wish him back to life? Then the Shinseiju could be used in part to bring Raditz up to Gokuu's current level again.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:47 am

Marron because I think an episode where Krillin has to explain to 18 why he named their daughter after his ex. Yes, I know it's just a coincidence and wasn't what Toriyama had in mind but it would make a great scene!
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:24 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:47 am Marron because I think an episode where Krillin has to explain to 18 why he named their daughter after his ex. Yes, I know it's just a coincidence and wasn't what Toriyama had in mind but it would make a great scene!
I can imagine 18's reaction already.
18: "Wait, "Marron"!? You named our daughter after this floozy?!? I should've known you would pick up some nasty habits from that pervy, old master of your's!"
Krillin: "18, No! She's ancient history! I swear! Sensei, help!"
Roshi(thinking): "Poor Krillin. First, Marron broke his heart and now 18's breaking his body."
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:14 pm

theherodjl wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:24 am I can imagine 18's reaction already.
18: "Wait, "Marron"!? You named our daughter after this floozy?!? I should've known you would pick up some nasty habits from that pervy, old master of your's!"
Krillin: "18, No! She's ancient history! I swear! Sensei, help!"
Roshi(thinking): "Poor Krillin. First, Marron broke his heart and now 18's breaking his body."
Krillin: Honey, I swear, it's just a name I've always liked. Funny story. Joking about it is how I broke the ice-
18: So that's what you're into?
Krillin: What?
18: Admit it! You're just with me because of my looks!
Everyone else: *sharing very awkward glances*
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

YajirobiTheGreat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YajirobiTheGreat » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:57 pm

How about Olibu?

He could be some kind of mythical Super Human God. He could be a great hero of the past who saved Earth from something truly horrible.

Ancient Greek Mythology also gives them some material they could work with. This would give them a way to strengthen humans considerably.

They could put him in Universe Six as a part of his story to help explain why our Earth hasn’t heard of or encountered him. Perhaps making him a part of a future U6 Arc where they finally see U6 Namek, U6 Saiyans, and discover Zarama. From there, other figures in Ancient Greek Mythology could be the villains or something.