Did Whis Actually Help Against Broly?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Did Whis Actually Help Against Broly?

Post by theherodjl » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:18 pm

Note that in the movie, Gogeta & Broly appear to enter another dimension while they battle furiously. Suppose Whis did so to prevent the Earth or even universe from being destroyed by Hakaishin-tier fighters? Could that be an explanation for the trippy-as-balls special affects we were seeing?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Re: Did Whis Actually Help Against Broly?

Post by Darkprince410 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:35 pm

I doubt that it was the case. While I do believe that's something that Whis wouldn't be above doing, I can't see the creators having that be what happened without at least some indication that he was the one responsible. Whether it was a scene of him waving his staff or a mention of him trying to do so after the battle was over or something, there are multiple ways they could indicate that he tried to contain the battle, but without one I feel that we can't really make that jump.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:50 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:I doubt that it was the case. While I do believe that's something that Whis wouldn't be above doing, I can't see the creators having that be what happened without at least some indication that he was the one responsible. Whether it was a scene of him waving his staff or a mention of him trying to do so after the battle was over or something, there are multiple ways they could indicate that he tried to contain the battle, but without one I feel that we can't really make that jump.
True. Not to mention that after they returned they were still fighting at the same level, or even more intensely, and there wasn't an indication that they were going to destroy the Earth at that point.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:24 am

No, Broly and Gogeta clashing caused them to go to another dimension. If it was Whis it would have been hinted at.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:True. Not to mention that after they returned they were still fighting at the same level, or even more intensely, and there wasn't an indication that they were going to destroy the Earth at that point.
Its a little weird how SSJB Gogeta & Broly have the power to break into another dimension as they start fighting but then not long after at full power & intensity, they're incapable of busting the Earth even though they're both as strong as Hakaishin in raw might. Why didn't they tear into another dimension again after they really turned it up?

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:36 pm

theherodjl wrote:they're incapable of busting the Earth even though they're both as strong as Hakaishin in raw might.
In Dragonball attacks can get stronger without blowing up more stuff. I wouldn't use real world reasoning. An attack from Gogeta that only creates a 10 meter wide explosion is vastly more lethal than an attack from Krillin that creates a 10 meter explosion.
theherodjl wrote:Why didn't they tear into another dimension again after they really turned it up?
Akira Toriyama type answer: extra dimensions are hidden so they are hard to hit :)

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:39 pm

theherodjl wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:True. Not to mention that after they returned they were still fighting at the same level, or even more intensely, and there wasn't an indication that they were going to destroy the Earth at that point.
Its a little weird how SSJB Gogeta & Broly have the power to break into another dimension as they start fighting but then not long after at full power & intensity, they're incapable of busting the Earth even though they're both as strong as Hakaishin in raw might. Why didn't they tear into another dimension again after they really turned it up?
That's just how the series works. Like when Goku and Beerus were still fighting but not creating those shockwaves anymore because Rou Kaioshin said 'it's just a fight'. :roll:

You have to just not think about it too much sometimes.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:29 pm

Regarder wrote:In Dragonball attacks can get stronger without blowing up more stuff. I wouldn't use real world reasoning. An attack from Gogeta that only creates a 10 meter wide explosion is vastly more lethal than an attack from Krillin that creates a 10 meter explosion.
That's ordinarily the case for your typical fighters in DB but these two fighters in particular are as strong as Hakaishin, its been stated that a battle between such beings of power is able to destroy the universe if allowed to persist. If the problematic explanation for why things don't all just go "boom!" in DB now applies to this tier of power then it calls the Hakaishin's ability to bust a universe into question as well as making liars of everyone who stated that the universe was going to end.
Don't get me wrong, I do prefer the concept of battles remaining on a relatively small scope but Broly & Gogeta's fight ought to be crossing that line with how much stronger they are than a previous universe-busting fight of SSJG Goku vs Beerus.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:55 am

theherodjl wrote:
Regarder wrote:In Dragonball attacks can get stronger without blowing up more stuff. I wouldn't use real world reasoning. An attack from Gogeta that only creates a 10 meter wide explosion is vastly more lethal than an attack from Krillin that creates a 10 meter explosion.
That's ordinarily the case for your typical fighters in DB but these two fighters in particular are as strong as Hakaishin, its been stated that a battle between such beings of power is able to destroy the universe if allowed to persist. If the problematic explanation for why things don't all just go "boom!" in DB now applies to this tier of power then it calls the Hakaishin's ability to bust a universe into question as well as making liars of everyone who stated that the universe was going to end.
Don't get me wrong, I do prefer the concept of battles remaining on a relatively small scope but Broly & Gogeta's fight ought to be crossing that line with how much stronger they are than a previous universe-busting fight of SSJG Goku vs Beerus.
I thought it was stated that a battle specifically between two Hakaishin would destroy the universe. Whereas if someone stronger who is not a Hakaishin (like, say, an angel) fights, then it won't, or at least they can choose not to make it happen. But a Hakaishin can't control it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:24 pm

I don't believe so: from what I saw in the movie, Whis drew Broly's attention but in no way actually engaged him in combat. He seemed willing to help but knew what his boundaries were.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:18 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I thought it was stated that a battle specifically between two Hakaishin would destroy the universe. Whereas if someone stronger who is not a Hakaishin (like, say, an angel) fights, then it won't, or at least they can choose not to make it happen. But a Hakaishin can't control it.
The fight between Goku & Beerus muddles up that claim because SSJG Goku was/is neither a Hakaishin or nearly as strong as Beerus' full power yet his contribution to the battle was said to be able to destroy the universe when he & Beerus collided Ki blasts, the theory would have to be that Beerus' power is solely responsible for the effects in order to work. Additionally, with how much control Beerus has with his own power to negate universe-busting attacks, it seems a little odd that he and another Hakaishin would suddenly lose control and destroy a universe by any means other than intentionally.
I would try not to think too much about it but we have neither an official in-universe or out-of-universe explanation for why such power, enough so that it makes 99% of other fights in the series look utterly tame by comparison, does not cause even a significant damage to a planet smaller than Planet Vegeta(which was easily destroyed by Pre-ROF Freeza's weakest form). Its basically akin to a stick of dynamite being able to blow up a cave entrance yet two detonated hydrogen bombs cannot simply because that's how it is portrayed, we're just left to guess that is how it must be because we have no other answer.

Son Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Dragon » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:20 pm

I think of it like this: the longer the series goes, the more control everyone gains over their power and it's not that they couldn't destory the planet but moreso if they did it would be disadvantageous to themselves, so instead they learn to subconsciously control it later on. Their attacks might only work as well, only if they come in contact with their target and get weaker if they hit something else. At least that's what I think so far.