Goku and Chichi is the worst couple of the franchise?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Goku and Chichi is the worst couple of the franchise?

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:04 pm

ok I have had this discussion once or twice in other topics so I thought that there would be nothing wrong with making a topic about it. first of all say that I have nothing against chichi and goku or the people than love this couple, "opinions" so I will give my point of view of several couples in the series and why I think that the goku and chichi couple is the worst

Vegeta and Bulma
at equal many DBZ couples started forced.
vegeta was an acesino almost as bad as frieza however vegeta and bulma did not marry immediately it was only after the years living in the land that they began to relate, to the point that vegeta was changed to a good person.
It should be noted that bulma helps vegeta in their workouts with their gravity machines and she support to vegeta get stronger and in response vegeta is closer to your family as trunks and bra, I can say that is the best couple so a lot that evolved over.

Krillin and 18
although 18 was not as bad as vegeta even she had some hatred on her part from the humans but thanks to the repeated efforts of Krillin to help her and her brother was that he changed his way of thinking and thanks to that they would begin to know bothmore and more until he would find peace at his side.
they have been seen training together and supporting each other in battle as in the TOP where they fought together against several opponents.
I would say that it is the second best pair given that its evolution was a bit lower.

Gohan and Videl
although many do not recognize it gohan and videl have much in common both and entered the world of martial arts because they carried the burden of being the children of the savior of the earth what led them to help people fighting crime, it is so that they began to know each other in school and in the training part was the fact that gohan was more a terricola that led him to be interested in that lifestyle

Trunks and Mai
Although I understand that many do not like this couple the only bad thing that I can find is it is morally bad seen with the fact that Mai is actually an older adult woman that bulma with the body of a young woman and that is not known if trunks know that or not ... but again is DB couples bizarre exist much bulma married with a alien than killed a her friends. outside of that trunks and mai also have much in common they fought together to save their world and help those in need in the resistance, support each other to move forward and not lose hope besides that they were the couple that had better moments in the series and like gohan and videl, trunks and mai sought to have a normal and peaceful life. what most admires trunks is the will of mai despite making a earthling

Bardock and Gine
I only place them in that position because they are less known, but because of the author's comments
it seems that they have a lot of communication and their decisions were taken together in this case with the fate of their children.

Goku and Chichi
They only saw each other once when they were children and did not see until they were already adults where they got married so they could hardly be considered friends.
Goku committed himself without knowing what marriage was and then accepted it without taking that responsibility seriously.
They got married without knowing each other.
both have nothing in common.
Chichi forces Goku to change many times to be a better father model, although that should not be bad. She does not understand that Goku is not interested in having a job or giving up fights.
Goku is more a saiyan than human and much of his interests are far from what his wife wants
Goku spent more time of their marriage absent 2 of them were by own decision
-cell games
-epilogue
-training in general
the author admit to hate chichi.
the author admit than goku don't like chichi how a wife but she is a import friend.
However, she is a good mother and which is what her children needed to grow as earthlings, which they wanted to be, but as the wife of a saiyan, just offering food is not enough.
and a long time has passed but that relationship does not change in any aspect unlike bulma and vegeta

ok I will listen to opinions if you agree or not with this :D

Kataphrut

Re: Goku and Chichi is the worst couple of the franchise?

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:22 am

I've said it before, but Goku and Chichi in my opinion are a quintessential rural couple. That is, they're co-dependent but have next to zero passion or chemistry. Any that was there dried up fast just a few years after the wedding, but they're never going to split because it's more convenient to stay together. Like most wives in a rural family, Chichi has no ambition beyond being a wife/homemaker, and like most husbands, Goku lives purely for himself and is content so long as there's a hot meal on the table. Fans like to play up how they're bad for each other and need to split, but that's putting more care into the relationship than either of them ever would.

The weird thing about Toriyama's aversion to romance is it ironically makes him really good at depicting realistically flawed, dysfunctional couples. Vegeta and Bulma is another relationship that feels uniquely real even though it came out of nowhere. I'm thinking in the Buu saga where they're technically married, but do nothing but snipe at each other because they jumped into it after a casual fling turned into a baby. Because that's the sort of thing that can actually happen. It got less realistic when Super started ironing over the creases and made them a generic brooding boy/fiery girl couple.

Videl and Gohan went from a solid but generic high-school romance to a completely unrealistic sickeningly perfect couple. Future Trunks and Mai is fine as long as you ignore all the weird stuff with their younger selves, and Krillin and 18 only makes sense if you assume there's something else going on they keep behind closed doors. I'm just saying, when they had that flashback of 18's to their home life when she was fighting Ribrianne, they couldn't show you the whole story because some scenes weren't suitable for impressionable viewers.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:36 pm

I disagree with the suggestion that Goku and Chi Chi are the worst couple in the franchise. I feel they do have some chemistry but most people don't see it. Goku once said that Chi Chi understands him and that he likes Chi Chi's feistiness. I feel like many people are willfully ignoring that. Also the way Toriyama put his statement about Goku not having much of a concept about family leads me to conclude its possible that he actually does have a sense of family. Also in DBZ and DBZKai Goku showed behaviors that suggested he had a perfectly good sense of family like when he begged Raditz to give him back his 'boy'.

I'd even say that it annoys me that people claim that Chi Chi and Goku have the worst relationship in the franchise.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:52 pm

Did Vegeta ever technically get married to Bulma? It seemed to me Vegeta and Bulma had this fling, accidentally made a baby, and Vegeta immediately abandoned her to train in space. Later, he's somewhat involved with Trunks and Bulma, which probably had more to do with protecting his bloodline than anything else. But then he's willing to sacrifice them for a chance at finally catching up to Goku, with the Majin power. Although he's clearly devoted to his family now, moreso than even Goku is to his family, I can't recall him and Bulma ever getting married.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:52 pm

I don't feel that the Dragon Ball ships seem forced. I find them interesting but I don't think they are forced.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:48 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:Did Vegeta ever technically get married to Bulma?
If I'm not mistaken, they call him the husband of Mrs. Bulma Brief for the people of the city
Hulk10 wrote:I don't feel that the Dragon Ball ships seem forced. I find them interesting but I don't think they are forced.
if this is because of my comment on the other topic
most started like this from this the moral point of view except for gohan and videl who met at school as students.
but most have managed to develop well and are quite good.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:55 pm

Tai Lung wrote:
ZeroNeonix wrote:Did Vegeta ever technically get married to Bulma?
If I'm not mistaken, they call him the husband of Mrs. Bulma Brief for the people of the city
Hulk10 wrote:I don't feel that the Dragon Ball ships seem forced. I find them interesting but I don't think they are forced.
if this is because of my comment on the other topic
most started like this from this the moral point of view except for gohan and videl who met at school as students.
but most have managed to develop well and are quite good.
True they did manage to develop. Even Goku and Chi Chi's relationship. All I'm saying is that I don't think they were forced. At least from my point of view.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:22 pm

I always felt like their relationship does work (though just barely). We don't really see them together very often in the manga, but in the few moments they do have there, they seem to get along just fine and look like an ordinary family. First thing that comes to mind is chapter 392 where while waiting for the Cell Games they're just casually having a picnic and then seemingly try to go shopping (only to find out every place is closed because everyone's running off thinking they're gonna die soon). Everyone always says that Goku cares more about training than he does about his own family. Not saying that's wrong, but Goku doesn't just spend all of this time training, that doesn't even fit with his own methods. He knows that he should take rests while training, and I really doubt that in those moments he stays away from his family. We unfortunately don't see any of that because the manga is always trying to move the story and action scenes forward. I don't really feel like bringing up the anime filler scenes because even those can't just show them in their everyday lives (because that would be boring, they have to throw in a gag or two to keep things at least mildly interesting)

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:06 am

Let's be honest, pretty much all the romantic relationships in DB are garbage, insofar as we are very rarely get a glimpse of the supposed chemistry that makes them work. Obviously it's not the point of the show, so it's not a crucifiable offense, but at the same time depicting that kind of thing is a great way to build investment in characters.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:50 am

Future Trunks and Future Mai are fine. Once you hit 18 years old it's more than fine to be with someone who's older as that is the age of consent across the board.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:25 pm

Kokonoe wrote:Future Trunks and Future Mai are fine. Once you hit 18 years old it's more than fine to be with someone who's older as that is the age of consent across the board.
Indeed you are right.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:47 am

Kataphrut wrote:I've said it before, but Goku and Chichi in my opinion are a quintessential rural couple. That is, they're co-dependent but have next to zero passion or chemistry. Any that was there dried up fast just a few years after the wedding, but they're never going to split because it's more convenient to stay together. Like most wives in a rural family, Chichi has no ambition beyond being a wife/homemaker, and like most husbands, Goku lives purely for himself and is content so long as there's a hot meal on the table. Fans like to play up how they're bad for each other and need to split, but that's putting more care into the relationship than either of them ever would.

The weird thing about Toriyama's aversion to romance is it ironically makes him really good at depicting realistically flawed, dysfunctional couples. Vegeta and Bulma is another relationship that feels uniquely real even though it came out of nowhere. I'm thinking in the Buu saga where they're technically married, but do nothing but snipe at each other because they jumped into it after a casual fling turned into a baby. Because that's the sort of thing that can actually happen. It got less realistic when Super started ironing over the creases and made them a generic brooding boy/fiery girl couple.

Videl and Gohan went from a solid but generic high-school romance to a completely unrealistic sickeningly perfect couple. Future Trunks and Mai is fine as long as you ignore all the weird stuff with their younger selves, and Krillin and 18 only makes sense if you assume there's something else going on they keep behind closed doors. I'm just saying, when they had that flashback of 18's to their home life when she was fighting Ribrianne, they couldn't show you the whole story because some scenes weren't suitable for impressionable viewers.
You speak of "rural couples" as if they are all the same, which is obviously false to anyone who travels. There are MANY parts of the world where rural and 3rd world peoples have higher average levels of divorce and adultery than any Western country.

And what's so unrealistic about Vegeta x Bulma in Super? They act like a lot of couples I now personally.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:26 pm

ruler9871 wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:I've said it before, but Goku and Chichi in my opinion are a quintessential rural couple. That is, they're co-dependent but have next to zero passion or chemistry. Any that was there dried up fast just a few years after the wedding, but they're never going to split because it's more convenient to stay together. Like most wives in a rural family, Chichi has no ambition beyond being a wife/homemaker, and like most husbands, Goku lives purely for himself and is content so long as there's a hot meal on the table. Fans like to play up how they're bad for each other and need to split, but that's putting more care into the relationship than either of them ever would.

You speak of "rural couples" as if they are all the same, which is obviously false to anyone who travels. There are MANY parts of the world where rural and 3rd world peoples have higher average levels of divorce and adultery than any Western country.

And what's so unrealistic about Vegeta x Bulma in Super? They act like a lot of couples I now personally.
Good point. Yeah I'm sure I've seen couples in real life act like Vegeta and Bulma.