Saiyan Family and Friends

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Hulk10
Regular

Saiyan Family and Friends

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:25 am

I know that everyone says that Saiyans aren't supposed to have a concept of family or friends but in the new Broly movie that seemed to not be the case. Also I notice that the translations of Toriyama's statements use 'might' a lot to describe the characters. So I am skeptical about the idea that most Saiyans don't care for friends or family. Not worrying about them is after all not the same thing as not caring.
Hulk is strongest one there is. -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I will never again bow to your charge! But I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking to Unicron controlled Megatron.

The arrogance of man is thinking that we are in control of our destiny. Let them fight. -Dr. Ishiro Serizawa to Admiral William Stenz.

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Re: Saiyan Family and Friends

Post by ulisa » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:11 pm

I’m aware of the statement that Saiyans don’t really have a concept of family but I’ve never agreed with it. I can certainly see that kind of thinking reflected post Buu and onward but truthfully before the 7 year gap, I don’t see it, either in the manga or the anime.

Goku isn’t going to win parent of the year but there’s a distinct love there for his son, Krillin and to some extent ChiChi that I just plain don’t see directed at others. Granted, the anime expands on this but even in the manga, there’s an affection and connection that just doesn’t feel like “companion” affection.

Honestly, this always felt like an idea Toriyama got later on and tried to retroactively apply.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Tai Lung
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:56 pm

vegeta or raditz does not seem to care about their family in the least ironically was vegeta the one that had more changes to soon become more affective with his family but that took years living on earth but without leaving his temperament or personality.
Goku was someone whose concept of a marriage is null when he was a child, when he met chichi and knew it was marriage but without understanding the responsibility involved, the affection he had for gohan was quite similar to a real son however given to the years apart I did not know him since they only spent time together with the training but forgot that he did not like to fight in cell games
but he also has an appreciation for krillin and roshi who lived with him for many years and when they died or were close to dying frieza arc and top arc his aspect more human was seen since for goku many of his friends are like his family, so for goku may have no difference but If alien to the love of the romantic type.

Hulk10
Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:46 pm

Toriyama said he sucked at writing romance remember so he never could write much of it in. Tarble and Broly both showed care for friends and family. So I do not agree with the generalization either.

In the name of the mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I will never again bow to your charge! But I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking to Unicron controlled Megatron.

The arrogance of man is thinking that we are in control of our destiny. Let them fight. -Dr. Ishiro Serizawa to Admiral William Stenz.

theherodjl
Advanced Regular

Post by theherodjl » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:37 pm

As I've said before, pure-blooded Saiyans don't necessarily love others but they do like them. Goku & Vegeta have bonds with their wives & children that are more akin to personal friendship and a general liking of having them around as company, the desire to see them safe & healthy included. However, they are also willing to separate themselves from their families to undergo intense training for the purpose of meeting new & greater challenges, sometimes not seeing their families for months and even years due to being unable to completely suppress their Saiyan desire for battle. Compare that to the half-Saiyans who are always by their loved one's side even if it means losing their strength or edge from not training/fighting.
Goku & Vegeta are on a constant roller coaster of choosing between being family men and being Saiyans, the solution being to detach themselves just a little from total human lives so as not to cut off their Saiyans lives. You can't really blame them since pure-blooded Saiyans are a little animalistic and like some animals, they may not be completely invested in relationships the way that humans are.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Hulk10
Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:17 pm

I've seen instances were they show definite love. So we can't say for certain whether or not Saiyan don't necessarily love others. Also Gohan implied that he didn't train at all. He could easily keep up with his training while still being there for his family. I've said it before, its possible to keep up your training and still be there for your family.

Tai Lung
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:08 am

Hulk10 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:46 pm
Toriyama said he sucked at writing romance remember so he never could write much of it in. Tarble and Broly both showed care for friends and family. So I do not agree with the generalization either.
but you have many scenes with gohan and videl, vegeta and bulma, Krillin and 18
but as it has been explained, the good saiyans are a minority and the only pure saiyans that formed pairings are vegeta and bulma and bardock and gine and having that concept clear this according to the interview with the author.

Hulk10
Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:10 am

Tai Lung wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:08 am
Hulk10 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:46 pm
but you have many scenes with gohan and videl, vegeta and bulma, Krillin and 18
but as it has been explained, the good saiyans are a minority and the only pure saiyans that formed pairings are vegeta and bulma and bardock and gine and having that concept clear this according to the interview with the author.
I know that. That doesn't necessarily mean that there weren't others who had similar pairings. Being evil doesn't mean you can't care about your family or friends.

Yasai9001

Post by Yasai9001 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Saiyans of Universe Seven never had a concept of family because of how their society is structured. They are born and either raised on Planet Vegeta as combatants or sent off as infiltration children. The scene of Saiyans in a nursing room shows how disconnected they typically are to their children meanwhile we have black sheep like Gine, who decides to keep her son in the room close to her while he's in an incubator.

Gine even pointed out that it's not like Bardock or any Saiyan to care about their kids, which expresses just how rare it is for Saiyans to do so. While they have the capability to care and love their family, they generally do not because of how individualistic they are. Not to mention, they rather go out and fight than stick around bonding with their kids.

Familiar bonds are stronger within the royal family generally speaking but as far as mid-class Saiyans and under...they aren't raised in the same setting as the royal blood line. They are capable of forming friendships but most decide not to...as it is typically looked upon as a weakness.

Also, just because a few Saiyans care for their friends and family does not mean that all Saiyans typically do. Remember, there are always exceptions to the rule—outliers to be exact. Just because we see a few nice caring Saiyans in Universe 7 doesn't mean they're all soft in one way or another, lol.