Why didn't Gohan come help vs Broly?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Why didn't Gohan come help vs Broly?

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:50 pm

After the whole pre ToP spiel about "protecting his family by getting stronger". Why wouldn't gohan come check out freeza and broly when they are both on EARTH?

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Why didn't Gohan come help vs Broly?

Post by theherodjl » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:34 pm

Gohan probably figured that Goku & Vegeta could handle it, unaware of the fact that Goku & Vegeta cannot whip out their strongest forms from the ToP. I'm sure Gohan could also detect Beerus & Whis around so there was never any chance of the Earth being destroyed or staying destroyed.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:23 am

Because they didn't have enough time to have him in the movie. If they had more time, they probably would have given some sort of excuse for why he wasn't going to go, not that if he would have gone it would have helped much, if anything.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:18 am

Gohan's taking a break with his family from the Tournament.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:55 am

Sort of the same reason Goku and Vegeta didn't use their advanced Blue forms. It has both an in-universe and out-of-universe reason.

In-universe: the situation escalated so rapidly there wasn't enough time to try out other options. Once Broly goes Super Saiyan, Gohan wouldn't have been able to make a meaningful contribution to the fight.

Out-of-universe: this is a tightly-paced movie and adding in extra characters or elements where the story didn't absolutely call for them would have detracted from it. Unfortunately, Gohan doesn't serve much narrative purpose in this movie beyond being another warm body.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:30 pm

Nobody told him about Broly, as it was figured that Goku and Vegeta would take care of him.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:45 pm

He sensed MAXIMUM power on the other side of the planet and then soiled himself quietly, clutching his copy of "How Not To Job" to his chest in terror as a sort of security blanket.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:47 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:55 am Sort of the same reason Goku and Vegeta didn't use their advanced Blue forms. It has both an in-universe and out-of-universe reason.

In-universe: the situation escalated so rapidly there wasn't enough time to try out other options. Once Broly goes Super Saiyan, Gohan wouldn't have been able to make a meaningful contribution to the fight.

Out-of-universe: this is a tightly-paced movie and adding in extra characters or elements where the story didn't absolutely call for them would have detracted from it. Unfortunately, Gohan doesn't serve much narrative purpose in this movie beyond being another warm body.
Pretty sure the reason they didn't use their advanced blue forms is because those are anime only and didn't come from Akira, so Akira didn't put them in his script.

As for why Gohan didn't show up, same reason Piccolo didn't, that would be because he would just get in the way.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:50 am

dragon boss z wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:47 pm
Kataphrut wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:55 am Sort of the same reason Goku and Vegeta didn't use their advanced Blue forms. It has both an in-universe and out-of-universe reason.

Pretty sure the reason they didn't use their advanced blue forms is because those are anime only and didn't come from Akira, so Akira didn't put them in his script.

As for why Gohan didn't show up, same reason Piccolo didn't, that would be because he would just get in the way.
That too. Gohan is anime-only, so Akira didn’t put him in his script.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:00 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:50 am
dragon boss z wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:47 pm

That too. Gohan is anime-only, so Akira didn’t put him in his script.
I said “as for why Gohan didn’t show up” which clearly shows the statedment before does not apply to him.

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

Post by Berserker1921 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:13 pm

In Universe explaination: Piccolo probably informed Gohan and the other fighters from ToP, that they are the back up. Should Goku or Vegeta lose. Which is very unlikely. Especially after Goku using MUI and Vegeta using SsjBE. However, what Gohan and the gang don’t know is, that Goku can’t access MUI or even Omen on command. And for some reason Vegeta can’t use SsjBE. So, basically ignorant to everything.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:24 am

We know that ganging up doesn't work in Dragonball. Once Goku and Vegeta go blue and start losing there is no need for Gohan to rush toward Broly. The only time Gohan should have rushed in would be before Broly goes SSJ and even then Goku and Vegeta had just started to be overwhelmed. So before SSJ Broly there is no need to come because Goku and Vegeta aren't at full power. Once Broly goes ssj now there is no reason to show up.

funrush

Post by funrush » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:52 pm

I think it's best to treat the "Training & Recruiting for the TOP arc" as filler, because I doubt Toriyama had much involvement in it and most of the episodes aside from the 17/Freeza ones are skippable anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised if Toriyama just wrote in his outline that Gohan goes to the tournament and doesn't really include a backstory or motivation behind that.

Also Gohan is pretty much Piccolo-tier now at best, and Piccolo mentions that he'd just get in the way if he tried to help.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:40 am

The movie only focused on the characters they needed, we can only assume Gohan (and Goten and Trunks) decided to stay home and the movie didn't have time to waste on all of those 'I hope dad is ok' scenes. In any other series we wouldn't have needed to see Gohan, but in the world of Dragonball where everyone felt Freeza and Cold's ki arrive on Earth at the beginning of the Androids saga, it doesn't make sense that the rest of the gang wasn't flipping their shit upon feeling the kis of Freeza, Paragus and especially Broly on Earth. Hell, the movie even had Freeza send low level minions to steal the Dragonballs so they would go undetected.