So what was the Namekian cataclysm?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

So what was the Namekian cataclysm?

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:24 pm

We know that all but one the Namekians were wiped out due to some cataclysm that's not really specified. And it must have been one hell of an event because Namekians are a pretty physically hearty race - long lived, naturally ki-proficient and the ability to regenerate. Plus they seemed to fairly technologically advanced at one point, plus the whole thing of having access to the Dragon Balls...

Has there been any word (guidebooks or otherwise) what exactly wiped out the Nameks? Or is it just left at "really bad weather" ?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: So what was the Namekian cataclysm?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:06 pm

If speculation is allowed, perhaps a drought.

That, or Beerus did it.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:36 pm

Namek seems to be missing a lot of foliage and has a puny population so I'd say that a meteor or an extreme volcanic eruption caused a drastic change in the planet's climate, a series of winters/storms following the initial disaster.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:55 pm

I'm guessing it possibly was some sort of phenomenon that triggered a sudden climate change that nearly destroyed Namek's ecossistem. I don't know what kind of phenomenons could be since it's not my area of expertise, but I don't think anybody would survive such change no matter how powerful they are. What I wonder is how Guru survived and if there are more namekians out there who were sent off world like Piccolo.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:12 pm

Rubens wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:55 pm I'm guessing it possibly was some sort of phenomenon that triggered a sudden climate change that nearly destroyed Namek's ecossistem. I don't know what kind of phenomenons could be since it's not my area of expertise, but I don't think anybody would survive such change no matter how powerful they are. What I wonder is how Guru survived and if there are more namekians out there who were sent off world like Piccolo.
That's an interesting thing to consider. I wonder if a Namekian has ever joined Frieza's army or the Galactic patrol.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Alpha to Omega

Post by Alpha to Omega » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:23 pm

BWri wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:12 pm That's an interesting thing to consider. I wonder if a Namekian has ever joined Frieza's army or the Galactic patrol.
There's a single panel showing a Namekian member of the Galactic Patrol in Jaco.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:36 am

Alpha to Omega wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:23 pm
BWri wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:12 pm That's an interesting thing to consider. I wonder if a Namekian has ever joined Frieza's army or the Galactic patrol.
There's a single panel showing a Namekian member of the Galactic Patrol in Jaco.
Really!? Wow, that's cool. I'm gonna have to give Jaco a reread. Thanks!
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:54 pm

I think for explain this cataclysm we need to explain the Orginal Namekian planet history and evolution of the namekian people. So here is my theory about the Namekian their evolutions (from what species they evolved) what caused the cataclysm and how many survivors are distributed in the Universe.

In the origin the planet Namek dominant species was some kind of dinosaurus like creatures, but a species of gastropod began to develop more quickly and acquir some specialized advantage. This creatur first began feeding on small animals this species and by doing and by acquiring more protein in its diet this gasteropod species came to a point where she was able to ate that dinosaurs species.

This gastropod then developed a skeleton and freed from its protective shell. This skeleton allowed him to arrive then to a Bipede being endowed with a brain and two prehensile arms being able to lie down (inheritance of his past of gastropod) but also of leg and capacity of regeneration out of the commun run.

It took thousands of years of evolution for the original gasteropod to become the namkian we know today. Today a namekian only drinks water in its diet but can feed over animals and other plants if needed. One day the young Namek people saw in the sky a huge golden ball bearing four stars, it was one of the Super Dragon Ball created by Zalama.

They succeed to gather fragment of this huge Golden orb in the sky and with the study of it they created their own Dragon Ball thus the Dragon clan was born. Judging by the space ship of the son of Katats we can assume that I some point the Namekian people were an advanced civilisation so I imagine that their civilization was one with huge white cities with perhaps Skycrappers and big building.

Everything being eco friendly like the Eldar or the Vulcan in their own respective universe.

For me their demise come from within, this high tech civ Namekian were perhaps in the center of a trade marketing route between others planets and their surounding. We know that Namekian can be easily tainted by evil judging by the son of katats who separated himself into Piccolo Daimao on one hand and Kami-Sama on the other hand, because he was tainted by Earthlings evil spirit. So I suggest that one or some of their kind tainted by evil from others planets came back on their homeworld and wanted the previously born Dragon Ball for their wishes.

I surmise that a civil war occurred and this civil war ravaged the planet namek thus creating the Cataclysm that we know. The barren world barely survived and the remaining people gathered around the later to be elder Saichoro who became the yielder of the Namekian traditionnal ways. The son of Katats being a war refugee on earth (and perhaps others ?).
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu