Is it Out of Character for Goku and Vegeta to spend 3 years in ROSAT just for a tournament?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Is it Out of Character for Goku and Vegeta to spend 3 years in ROSAT just for a tournament?

Post by nickzambuto » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:30 pm

This has been something that's bugged me since the beginning but I just can't quite place my finger on it.

In Dragon Ball Super Hakaishin Champa arc, Goku and Vegeta both spend three days (three straight years) in room of spirit and time, training. They both do this without hesitation (Vegeta thinks about it for literally two lines).

Wasn't the room of spirit and time obsolete for them at this point? Goku said that he and Gohan had surpassed that training as Grade 4/Mastered SSJ. He told Vegeta that continuing to torture themselves in there would no longer be training.

IIRC he even advised Vegeta and Trunks not to go in any more either, saying they wouldn't get much stronger. He was right.

Did Goku and Vegeta really torture themselves for 3 years just to scrape together very small increases?

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Re: Is it Out of Character for Goku and Vegeta to spend 3 years in ROSAT just for a tournament?

Post by Hugo Boss » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:43 pm

nickzambuto wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:30 pm Did Goku and Vegeta really torture themselves for 3 years just to scrape together very small increases?
I think the point is that they were far more powerful in Champa Arc than they were in Cell Arc, so their body probably could sustain the harsh conditions of the room for a longer period. 3 years in Super Saiyan level would probably be too much and they wouldn’t get benefit, but 3 years with a god level body it would do good results.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Is it Out of Character for Goku and Vegeta to spend 3 years in ROSAT just for a tournament?

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:49 pm

They'd already spent a length of time living/training together at Beerus' place; it probably wasn't much different aside from less interesting surroundings and freedom from Whis-related chores.

So no, at that point in time I wouldn't call it ooc of them.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:56 pm

If Goku & Vegeta had the option of choosing to be born, live, and die in the ROSAT then we all know they would jump on it like a beast.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:01 pm

I always thought it was an odd choice, especially since I think they prefer to train on their own. Guess they really wanted that beard joke.
Was this also in the manga? Can't remember that.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:38 am

nickzambuto wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:30 pm This has been something that's bugged me since the beginning but I just can't quite place my finger on it.

In Dragon Ball Super Hakaishin Champa arc, Goku and Vegeta both spend three days (three straight years) in room of spirit and time, training. They both do this without hesitation (Vegeta thinks about it for literally two lines).

Wasn't the room of spirit and time obsolete for them at this point? Goku said that he and Gohan had surpassed that training as Grade 4/Mastered SSJ. He told Vegeta that continuing to torture themselves in there would no longer be training.

IIRC he even advised Vegeta and Trunks not to go in any more either, saying they wouldn't get much stronger. He was right.

Did Goku and Vegeta really torture themselves for 3 years just to scrape together very small increases?
This whole subsection of the show feels OOC. I'm mainly talking about the anime. The manga has similar problems, but not as bad.

1st: In terms of overall progression, it makes little sense at this point in the story for Goku and Vegeta to be capped so hard. At the very beginning, sure, because neither had access to god ki or a way to break past their limits post Buu, pre-BoG. And they train for three years and gain hardly anything. In both the anime and manga, Piccolo was still competitive with their base forms.

2nd: 3 years is overkill. I especially don't think Goku would agree to this if the gains promised weren't incredible.

3rd: Anime only, Piccolo rejects an invitation to train with them. This same Piccolo who gained what, 100-200 times more power training previously with a Super Saiyan.

4th: They seemed to have gotten weaker in the next arc. Example:

RoF (anime)
Base Goku >= Final Form Frieza >>>>>>>> Supressed 1st form Frieza >>>>>>>>>>> Piccolo
U6 Tourney (anime)
SSJ Goku = SSJ Vegeta >>>> Final Form Frost >> Piccolo >=< (???) 3rd Form Frost = FP Base Goku = FP Base Vegeta > FP 1st Form Frost

The manga makes it even more clear:
SSJ Goku = SSJ Vegeta >> Final Form Frost >= Piccolo >> 3rd Form Frost = FP Base Goku = FP Base Vegeta > FP 1st Form Frost

I don't think the room is obsolete, but as we previously saw, if your training regiment isn't very inventive, you won't get much out of it. Its still better than Earth training, except in this case Piccolo's Earth training is superior to Whis and RoSaT training for Goku and Vegetas bases unless he's been using the room off screen.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:05 pm

It bugged me how they got nothing then but Vegeta got stronger in there later during the Black Arc.

Plus Piccolo not going in, plus shortening their lives for no real benefit....
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:31 pm

Michsi wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:01 pm I always thought it was an odd choice, especially since I think they prefer to train on their own. Guess they really wanted that beard joke.
It was in both mediums though I dont think that the manga had the beard joke.

It isn't out of character at all, their rivalry has developed into being friendly and they push each other to new heights, and this was just an example of this idea manifesting itself.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:43 pm

PFM18 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:31 pm
Michsi wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:01 pm I always thought it was an odd choice, especially since I think they prefer to train on their own. Guess they really wanted that beard joke.
It was in both mediums though I dont think that the manga had the beard joke.

It isn't out of character at all, their rivalry has developed into being friendly and they push each other to new heights, and this was just an example of this idea manifesting itself.
I know that this is what it's supposed to be, yet most of the time I don't really feel it. And there was nothing of value brought from a narrative or character development standpoint as far as I can remember.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:44 pm

No.

Goku and Vegeta like to train, fight and push themselves to their limits. And they were going to be going up against the strongest fighters from a completely different universe.

It's better to over-prepare than to be underprepared.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:26 pm

Three years seemed excessive, especially for such a low-stakes arc. It goes against what Goku said in the Cell saga (and what Whis would later re-iterate) about too much training being harmful.

It was transparently an excuse to set up a beard joke and Blue Kaioken. The latter could easily have been achieved through some other method (Goku and Vegeta taking a day each to themselves for example), the former...I guess it was worth it.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:53 am

I don’t think it was out of character, but it was such a meaningless plot point that I still don’t get what the hell went through Toriyama’s mind when he wrote that. Goku and Vegeta literally got out of the room unchanged, with only the anime having Goku mix Kaioken with Blue. That was all. It could have easily been avoided or made more interesting.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:43 am

emperior wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:53 am I don’t think it was out of character, but it was such a meaningless plot point that I still don’t get what the hell went through Toriyama’s mind when he wrote that. Goku and Vegeta literally got out of the room unchanged, with only the anime having Goku mix Kaioken with Blue. That was all. It could have easily been avoided or made more interesting.
I think Goku & Vegeta would've multiplied their strength from 3 years of training together in the ROSAT, it only seems logical. They're already the duo who make the greatest number of strength leaps in the series, 3 years of sparring under 10x gravity & intense weather conditions would be not one but several boosts in power. Hit's initial technique in the U6 tourney would likely have been too much for ROF Goku & Vegeta to handle even if it were a 2 on 1 battle so the training certainly did pay off.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:50 am

I wish they kept the limit from Z to 2 days per person as I feel like they abused it in Super by having them (especially Vegeta) use it as much as he did. Like the potara fusion retcon, it took away what made it special.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.