Is Future Trunks' SSJ2 A Form That Is Unique To Him?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Is Future Trunks' SSJ2 A Form That Is Unique To Him?

Post by theherodjl » Wed May 08, 2019 1:55 pm

SSJ3 ordinarily stands a great deal stronger than SSJ2 yet Manga Trunks found a way to not only close this gap but exceed it. Is this because Trunks' SSJ2 is a mutation or a form that only specifically works with him?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Is Future Trunks' SSJ2 A Form That Is Unique To Him?

Post by Grimlock » Wed May 08, 2019 2:14 pm

I'm sure it's just another power-up that came from Dende knows where. I mean, Toyotaro didn't even bother to explain it and told us why the other characters weren't able to get it too. Without any kind of explanation, it's hard to say anything.

Is it something related to the fact that Trunks is a hybrid? Then why hasn't Gohan displayed that yet?
It is something related to his training with Kaioshin of East? Who knows.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Wed May 08, 2019 3:50 pm

it's likely the same as Vegeta's enraged SS2 in BoG, except Trunks mastered it.

After all, SS3 is the wrong way to go for more power

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed May 08, 2019 5:06 pm

It's a combination of centring your improvement efforts on that particular form and increasing your overall power, I think. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that SSJ Gohan after training with the Z-Sword could have grown strong enough to give Perfect Cell at full power a good challenge, maybe even rival him. Of course that's assuming his power actually exceeded Goku and Vegeta's SSJ2 forms a good deal.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed May 08, 2019 5:30 pm

Absolutely not.

It is simply form mastery. Nothing implies that FTrunks' SSJ2 is a mutated or special kind of SSJ2. His full power SSJ2 = SSJ3 Goku, that's it.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed May 08, 2019 9:44 pm

Rakurai wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:30 pm Absolutely not.

It is simply form mastery. Nothing implies that FTrunks' SSJ2 is a mutated or special kind of SSJ2. His full power SSJ2 = SSJ3 Goku, that's it.
Then how come Goku or Vegeta have never achieved a mastery of SSJ2 like how Trunks has despite having the time & means to do so? Trunks has a quasi-SSJB form which no one else has obtained as well.
Isn't it possible that Trunks may have his own SSJ forms like how Vegeta has SSJ Rage & SSJBE?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed May 08, 2019 10:16 pm

I figure that it's the same kind of thing as the Grade forms from the Cell arc. With time and training Trunks basically figured out a way to tap into "beyond Super Saiyan 2" power and pump himself up with it, but for some reason or another he's incapable of making a full-blown Super Saiyan 3 transformation.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:52 pm

Was it a Toriyama interview that said at the heart of it, Super Saiyan 2 and 3 are simply extensions of the original Super Saiyan. The show always simply portrayed it as 3 > 2 > 1 so I think it makes it very difficult for fans to comprehend the fact that Trunks SSJ2 is stronger than Goku SSJ3.

As the Super Saiyan forms enhance base form, I guess you would have to argue that Trunks is all around stronger than Goku and Goku needs the god forms to surpass him. Basically it's a mess.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed May 08, 2019 11:26 pm

theherodjl wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:44 pm
Rakurai wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:30 pm Absolutely not.

Then how come Goku or Vegeta have never achieved a mastery of SSJ2 like how Trunks has despite having the time & means to do so? Trunks has a quasi-SSJB form which no one else has obtained as well.
Isn't it possible that Trunks may have his own SSJ forms like how Vegeta has SSJ Rage & SSJBE?
FTrunks explicitly says he's trained to death for 10 years. Since his most powerful form was SSJ2, that's likely all he ever mastered.

Goku and Vegeta probably never trained as hard as FTrunks, especially in times of peace. Instead, they went to the path of god transformations.

FTrunks certainly does not have a unique SSJ form in the manga, which is where his SSJ2 power matched SSJ3 Goku's at the time. We will probably never know (and I personally hope he never appears again in DBS).
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:19 am

I didn't read all the posts, so sorry if some information has been left out, but if you go by the backed up theory that the SSJs states are multipliers off the base/normal state, then I don't believe that Trunks ought to, necessarily, have obtained a different state. His base power was pumped enough that his SSJ2 state could compete with Goku's SSJ3 one... And he initially was just not putting forth the true power of the state.

What is weird though is that Vegeta, who is supposedly Goku's equal, could make sort work out of SSJ Black, whereas Black could deal with the same SSJ2 Trunks who was on SS3 Goku's level... That's weird. We know that Vegeta got a rage boost on top of his SSJ2 in the BoG arc... So maybe he is also equiped with this rage boost when facing Black?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 09, 2019 2:47 am

Kaboom wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:16 pmTrunks figured out a way to tap into "beyond Super Saiyan 2" power, but for some reason he's incapable of a full-blown Super Saiyan 3 transformation.
That's the same thing they did with Vegeta against Beerus and Ssj Black (manga). In the context of those fights, could Ssj3 just be an out of control Ssj2 that Vegeta and Trunks managed to master and thus the hair remains normal while maintaining the massive power boost Ssj3 provided ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu May 09, 2019 9:52 am

Didn't Trunks actually have a line saying something like "I've never been satisfied with the power this form gives either" right before he powered up in SS2? That's the kicker that tells me it's a "beyond SS2" state instead of just simply being how strong his SS2 is. He didn't think vanilla SS2 was strong enough, so he pushed farther and found more power beyond it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shintoki » Thu May 09, 2019 9:56 am

trunks SS2? is unknown what to be in TV super. could be a new undiscovered grade or something else. Toei shenanigans.
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Thu May 09, 2019 10:33 am

Kaboom wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:52 am Didn't Trunks actually have a line saying something like "I've never been satisfied with the power this form gives either" right before he powered up in SS2? That's the kicker that tells me it's a "beyond SS2" state instead of just simply being how strong his SS2 is. He didn't think vanilla SS2 was strong enough, so he pushed farther and found more power beyond it.
Thinking about it, wouldn't Trunks have the most experience with SSJ2 out of any character in the series? Goku attained SSJ3 in other world, so 2 naturally fell off for him when it came to the big fights. Vegeta is probably the closest in terms of number of years with SSJ2 being his maximum transformation (attained at some point during the 7 year timeskip between Cell and Buu), plus however long it was from Buu's defeat to him learning SSJ Blue. If we assume that trunks unlocked SSJ2 not long after returning to his timeline, I believe that would put his time-of-unlocked SSJ2 similar to Vegeta's, but with the added benefit of having to fight Black which I'd assume would push his SSJ2 form even further via training and raw attrition.

It's most likely Trunks just has an insanely mastered, refined version of SSJ2 given the time he's had to experience it rather than a unique, specific SSJ2 form.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Thu May 09, 2019 5:25 pm

theherodjl wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:44 pm Then how come Goku or Vegeta have never achieved a mastery of SSJ2 like how Trunks has despite having the time & means to do so?
They got involved with God Ki, mastering SS2 would have been a waste of time.
Hell, maybe Vegeta's Rage Mode in BoG wasn't a Rage Power-up but just him going full power with the SS2 he mastered over time

Also: both Vegeta's Rage SS2 and Trunks's Powered SS2 were shown stronger(or at least suggested, in trunks' case) than Goku's SS3, which reinforced the point of SS3 being the Grade-3 of numbered forms
Trunks has a quasi-SSJB form which no one else has obtained as well.
that's in the anime, though. It's quite different from the Powered SS2 in the manga.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Thu May 09, 2019 9:27 pm

Trunks simply mastered Super Saiyan 2 to the point it can reach and use the power that Super Saiyan 3 uses. His Super Saiyan Rage form seems like it's supposed to be like Super Saiyan Blue but not quite there.. if he actually mastered it he would probably have full on Blue.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 10, 2019 4:26 am

ankokudaishogun wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:25 pmMaybe Vegeta's Rage Mode in BoG wasn't a Rage Power-up but just him going full power with the SS2 he mastered over time.
Vegeta did call Ssj3 useless during the fight with Kid Buu so him just training Ssj2 makes sense. Ssj3 could be looked at as a grade form for Ssj2 like how Ssj1 had the massive muscled grades. Once Ssj2 is mastered, there's no reason to use 3 just as there's no reason to use the muscled forms after mastering Ssj1.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Fri May 10, 2019 5:09 am

If a fully powered up SSJ can be at the brink of transformation into SSJ2, in case he's already strong enough to have reached that level, then there's no problem with Trunks having increased SSJ2 without transforming further, because SSJ3 might be at a level that is farther for him, otherwise he doesn't know or is not interested after finding out.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 pm

The reason I say that Super Saiyan Rage is imperfect SSGSS is because Trunks awakens the form, and then from then on he can sense the power of people using God Ki, as he can sense SSGSS Vegito's power and is in awe at it. So I think Toei just wanted to give Trunks imperfect SSGSS which is why Super Saiyan Rage sucks his stamina to hell when he uses the form, even more than SSGSS does.

tasuxeda

Post by tasuxeda » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:54 am

My interpretation is that Future Trunks's base is a few times stronger than Goku's base so SSJ2 trunks can compete with SSJ3 Goku after all half saiyans have repeatedly shown that they have more potential than full saiyans so as the only half saiyan to train regularly, I have no problem believing that he surpasses them outside some powerup the full saiyans have discovered that Trunks hasn't.