What would have been a really good arc for Gohan in the Boo saga?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

What would have been a really good arc for Gohan in the Boo saga?

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Fri May 10, 2019 9:48 am

Beyond him becoming the main character because I agree with Tori in that Gohan wouldn't work as the main character of Dragon Ball but I want to stick to the Boo arc in that what would have been a really good arc for him beyond what we got and a mere power boost. I personally liked the focus we got with Gohan in high school and his relationship with Videl, it's among my favorite aspects of the Boo saga, as well as the Vegeta development of course. I guess what I want to know is how it could have been improved? where else did Gohan's character have to go?

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Re: What would have been a really good arc for Gohan in the Boo saga?

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri May 10, 2019 11:08 am

The problem is two-fold:

1. Gohan isn't Goku. He doesn't fight because he likes it, therefore he can't maintain the spotlight in a show about punching people in the face unless there's a paradigm shift in his character.

2. Gohan's arc completely resolved in the Cell saga. He learned that fighting is necessary sometimes to protect what you love, and also came to understand that fighting under a spell of vengeful rage is a dangerous prospect.

If we respect both of these tenets, then it's difficult to locate a valid motivation for Gohan to get stronger and/or assume the primary role.

An idea; slowly ramp up the Buu story generally as-is, but keep Goku out of it. Culminate the first act with Gohan attempting to fight Fat Buu and lose. Give Vegeta the spotlight in a kickass battle by having him defeat Fat Buu which inadvertently causes the split, creating Evil Buu that Vegeta can no longer defeat. Gohan goes to spend time with Goku and the Supreme Kai (while Goten and Trunks have an actual battle with Buu as Gotenks, doing well but not able to get over the hump and beat him), during which they remark that Gohan's ability to break through to new heights of power did not simply cease with the Cell fight. Generally thinking his father to be a bit of a buffoon a lot of the time, Gohan becomes much more intimately aware of Goku's surgical (damn near genius-level) approach to fighting, which resonates with Gohan's studious nature. They train for a little and change Gohan's approach to combat until Buu threatens to destroy the Earth, at which Gohan is forced to return. Something something strife and suffering, and Gohan finally unlocks a new level of power, going SSJ3. Now, this is kind of a rehash of Cell, but if we're going to make Gohan the main character, well he's the one that gets the fancy new powerups. At least in this scenario, he earns it.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Fri May 10, 2019 11:32 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:08 am The problem is two-fold:

1. Gohan isn't Goku. He doesn't fight because he likes it, therefore he can't maintain the spotlight in a show about punching people in the face unless there's a paradigm shift in his character.

2. Gohan's arc completely resolved in the Cell saga. He learned that fighting is necessary sometimes to protect what you love, and also came to understand that fighting under a spell of vengeful rage is a dangerous prospect.

If we respect both of these tenets, then it's difficult to locate a valid motivation for Gohan to get stronger and/or assume the primary role.

An idea; slowly ramp up the Buu story generally as-is, but keep Goku out of it. Culminate the first act with Gohan attempting to fight Fat Buu and lose. Give Vegeta the spotlight in a kickass battle by having him defeat Fat Buu which inadvertently causes the split, creating Evil Buu that Vegeta can no longer defeat. Gohan goes to spend time with Goku and the Supreme Kai (while Goten and Trunks have an actual battle with Buu as Gotenks, doing well but not able to get over the hump and beat him), during which they remark that Gohan's ability to break through to new heights of power did not simply cease with the Cell fight. Generally thinking his father to be a bit of a buffoon a lot of the time, Gohan becomes much more intimately aware of Goku's surgical (damn near genius-level) approach to fighting, which resonates with Gohan's studious nature. They train for a little and change Gohan's approach to combat until Buu threatens to destroy the Earth, at which Gohan is forced to return. Something something strife and suffering, and Gohan finally unlocks a new level of power, going SSJ3. Now, this is kind of a rehash of Cell, but if we're going to make Gohan the main character, well he's the one that gets the fancy new powerups. At least in this scenario, he earns it.
I mean one thing I like about Gohan compared to his father is that he's more responsible with his power than Goku is, more than Goku he took up Great Saiyaman as a way to be a traditional Hero and that's essentially Gohan, and mild mannered compassionate person. I remember seeing that video regarding Gohan's character and the type of arc he would have which similar to Spiderman and I agreed with it in that Gohan is essentially Spiderman like, minus the quippyness. I think what I take issue with with Gohan in the latter half of the Buu arc is that his Ultimate form felt more like just a convenient power-up and not really a character growth moment, actually funnily enough it's addressed in Super with how Gohan gets over confident and I really really appreciated that but I wish that was something Gohan learned before he became Ultimate Gohan, although if he did we wouldn't have Vegito haha but thats besides the point.

Edit: I want to add that I'm not necessarily talking about Gohan becoming the main character but rather a better character arc than what we got

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri May 10, 2019 11:44 am

There are a plethora of terrible of things about the Buu arc and Vegetto is one of them. Badass character to be sure, but handicapping him in the way that they did was horribly unsatisfying, and that's why I'm okay with Gotenks being the fusion highlight of the saga as it lets Goten and Trunks have their moment in the sun. This then allows Gohan to achieve the insane power level of SSJ3 and exist in his own tier which validates his spot as the primary antagonist in Goku's absence.

You are 1,000% correct that Gohan's mystic powerup was bullshit, although I actually like the idea of reserving it for some later battle. It would emphasize Gohan's "specialness" (a concept reinforced throughout the entire duration of DBZ) to have a transformation unique to him, though I think I would give it its own form rather than just a boring white aura. Definitely find a better way to access it, though.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Fri May 10, 2019 10:01 pm

Haha, if you don't mind a more comical (and detailed) suggestion, I'd like to throw an idea into the fray...

So let's imagine a world where Goku was not brought back to life by the Elder Kaioshin and Bee and Mr. Satan were never shot. Mr. Satan has managed to convince Boo not to harm anyone, but he soon runs into a problem: Boo has grown bored! His life has become too routine and those exploding game consoles just don't have the same thrill they used to. Eager (read: desperate) to keep Boo entertained so he doesn't decide to start laying waste to Earth again, Mr. Satan tells Boo he'll be right back with a surprise, which turns out to be... a TV! Knowing that Boo doesn't have an electrical set-up in his home, Mr. Satan has brought him a completely battery-powered television, made by the fine people of Capsule Corporation. As Boo flips through channels (which are fewer in number than Mr. S was hoping, since Boo has probably blown up quite a few TV stations), he lands upon a news retrospective of the one... the only... Great Saiyaman! Fascinated by the champion of justice's colorful attire and exhaustive repertoire of poses, Boo turns to Mr. Satan with a bold proclamation:

"I want to fight that guy!"

Mortified by Boo's new statement of intent, Mr. Satan quickly suggests an alternative: rather than FIGHT a superhero, Boo can BE a superhero! Boo asks Mr. Satan how one might do that, and the latter explains that superheroes save lives, fight crime and dress in "stupi-- er, real cool outfits!" Eager to give the superhero lifestyle a shot, Boo uses his magic to give himself a helmet and cape not unlike the Great Saiyaman's! (his clothes otherwise remain the same) He tells Mr. Satan he's off to save lives and fight crime, and flies off, leaving Mr. Satan to wonder just how exactly this turn of events is going to play out...

As superhero Boo-- let's call him "Super Boo" for short-- flies across the planet, he's a bit disappointed at first that there aren't a lot of people to save and criminals to stop! (it hasn't occurred to him that it may be because he's wiped out large parts of the planet's population). Luckily, while flying over the ruins of a city he previously attacked, Super Boo finds a young woman and child wandering the otherwise empty streets! So he flies down to ask them if they need saving. Recognizing Boo despite his foolproof disguise, the two scream and run away, much to Super Boo's astonishment. Though perplexed, our hero is far from disheartened and continues on his merry way, encountering similar reactions until spotting a pair of thieves trying to steal from an innocent man on the street: a crime in progress! Super Boo makes quick work of them, either blasting them to nothing, punching them at full-strength (you can imagine the results) or turning them into candy. Horrified by the fate of those poor (but otherwise terrible) robbers, the man Boo rescued screams and runs away, further adding to Super Boo's confusion!

Just then, however, a familiar face appears: Gotenks, eager for a rematch! Despite being briefed on Boo's odd change in behavior thanks to Dende and Piccolo, Gotenks still wants a fight, and tells Super Boo he must still answer for all the lives he's destroyed. Super Boo, however, refuses to fight, saying he'll only fight if Gotenks commits a crime. Spotting a nearby woman with a purse hiding behind a building [poorly], Gotenks floats over to her and, after assuring her he's a REAL good guy, asks if he can pretend to rob her purse. Though skeptical, she agrees, and she steps out from hiding so that Gotenks can very visibly "rob" her. Super Boo demands that Gotenks stop, but the fused warrior pretends to refuse, cackling like a supervillain while "trying" to pull the woman's purse out of her grasp. Super Boo orders him to halt and, after performing a series of Saiyaman-like poses (cue large sweat drop behind Gotenks' head), the fight begins! While Gotenks easily overpowers Super Boo, his overconfidence and the time it took just to convince Buu to fight leads to his fusion wearing off!

Fortunately, another newcomer arrives: Gohan! Having returned from training and having his power unlocked on the Kaioshin's planet, the person who unwittingly inspired Boo's superhero career has come to rescue Goten and Trunks and finally settle this. As Gohan tells the two boys to get to safety, Boo makes a realization! He points to Gohan and exclaims:

"Hey! You sound like Great Saiyaman!"

Gohan's super-serious, cool "Mystic" facade is immediately replaced with awkward panic as he reassures Boo he is NOT the Great Saiyaman. "We just... know each other really well! We hang out so much, some people even say I even talk like him sometimes!" Excited that this person he previously beat up knows the Great Saiyaman personally, Super Boo asks if Gohan can take him to meet his idol. Gohan's reponse: "Suuuuuuuure! I just uh, need to find him! He doesn't really have a phone, you know! You just wait here and don't do anything-- ANYTHING-- until I get back, okay?"

Buu readily agrees, standing absolutely still, and Gohan rockets upward to Heaven, where he knows (thanks to the Kaioshin crystal ball) Bulma is residing with most of his other friends. He immediately goes up to Bulma and tells her he needs a new Great Saiyaman costume, since his other one gradually came apart when he had fought Boo and Babidi's minions. Bulma is startled by Gohan's request and tells him it'll take time to make him a new one: she can't just make one out of thin air! While initially frustrated, Gohan quickly remembers someone who CAN make clothes out of thin air: Piccolo! Perplexed by Gohan's request, Piccolo asks him why he just doesn't just go back down to Earth and destroy Boo already, since now he can do so easily. Gohan says he's not really sure, but thinks it's because he senses genuine goodness behind Boo's new intentions! Maybe there's even a way Gohan can get through to him...

Piccolo tells Gohan he still thinks this is all a big risk, but uses his powers to transform Gohan's gi into the Great Saiyaman uniform. The Great Saiyaman flies back to Earth, immediately wowing Super Boo with his superheroic attitude and "graceful" poses! Super Boo asks if Great Saiyaman can teach him how to be a good superhero, and while surprised by the request, Gohan agrees! From then on, Boo becomes the Great Saiyaman's sidekick, and hilarity ensues! Despite a pretty steep learning curve, Boo evolves in a pretty good sidekick to the Great Saiyaman, and even helps collect the Dragon Balls to wish back the people he had killed. Videl eventually even joins the duo as Great Saiyaman 2, and the Great Saiyateam is born!