The logic behind the punching machine

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

The logic behind the punching machine

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu May 16, 2019 6:12 pm

I don't believe anyone has ever discussed this before (correct me if I'm wrong), but isn't the idea of using the punching machine in order to determine entry to the Tenkaichi Budokai kind of unfair? Assuming that they are expecting people without crazy superhuman levels of strength, not all martial arts focus on punching. Someone could get a low score on the machine but still be a good grappler, or have very powerful kicks, or be a master of a judo type style that uses the opponent's own force and weight against them. There could have been fighters who had a legitimately good chance of beating Mr. Satan, yet wouldn't be allowed to participate just because they don't have a particularly strong punch.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Shintoki
Beyond Newbie

Re: The logic behind the punching machine

Post by Shintoki » Thu May 16, 2019 7:00 pm

it was most likely a precaution measure to prevent unqualified people from participating in the tournament after witnessing so many superhuman levels since the start of DB. although, a flawed one. :think:
PurestEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:21 pm You could also, y'know, become a real buddhist
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 am Isn't this technically worshipping the Monkey King?

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu May 16, 2019 7:21 pm

Most of the ordinary human fighters we've seen excel in striking so it leads me to believe that martial artists in DB learn a general style of striking that may include grappling but striking is the dominant method.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Apslup
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Apslup » Sat May 18, 2019 6:03 pm

I've always hated the punching machine qualifcation test, since the qualifying matches to the first 3 tournaments were a nice starter to help you get ready for the real fights that are coming ahead.

However, I do see that it was kinda necessary since if there were proper qualifiying matches, it would be highly likely that 2 of the Z Fighters had to go up against each other in the qualifying matches. They got around this at the 23rd tournment with Chaozu mixing up all of the Z Fighters in the qualfying rounds so they could all fight each other in the real tournment.