How would the characters have turned out if the training schools they were in were reversed?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lionel
I Live Here

How would the characters have turned out if the training schools they were in were reversed?

Post by Lionel » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:55 am

By schools I'm referring to the Turtle and Crane disciplines from back in the classic Dragon Ball era. I'm wondering what kind of a difference the realignments could have had to the overarching plot if it had been Goku, Krillin, and Yamcha who were trained by the Crane Hermit while Tenshinhan and Chaozu were taken under Roshi's wing. Any thoughts as to how this could have changed the characters' personalities and what ripple effects they might have had?

Wilderness
Beyond Newbie

Re: How would the characters have turned out if the training schools they were in were reversed?

Post by Wilderness » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:37 am

If that happened, then we would live in an alternative reality without an All-Purpose "What-If " Thread!
"I'm not a bad guy, I am a good guy, who just... hits women with his car."

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: How would the characters have turned out if the training schools they were in were reversed?

Post by Lionel » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:54 am

I apologise then. I've been attending this forum for almost four years now and there's still segments of it that I've either skimmed over without looking into or never looked at in much depth.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:00 am

I believe the trio might go along with Tsuru-Sennin's training until Goku eventually realizes that his master has ulterior motives and attempts to convince Krillin & Yamcha that he was bad news, a rift forming between the three with Goku being forced to leave while Krillin & Yamcha remained loyal to their master and stayed behind. From there, Goku would look to continue becoming stronger and seek out Kame-Sennin after hearing of him from his former master, being accepted by the Turtle Hermit on the basis of being a disgraced member of the crane master and being the grandson of Son Gohan. Goku would meet Tenshinhan & Chaozu under much more amiable circumstances and the three would become trainer partners as well as friendly rivals and go on to participate in the Tenkaichi Budokai. Yamcha & Krillin would hear of Goku's success and their master would train them towards the goal of crushing Goku at the very next tournament.
So in essence, Goku would still end up under Roshi anyways due to his good nature while Krillin & Yamcha would reluctantly remain under Tsuru-Sennin in order to become stronger, inevitably set to face off against their former classmate and his new friends.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think: