Could SSJ3 Goku survive Vegeta's Final Explosion?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Regular

Could SSJ3 Goku survive Vegeta's Final Explosion?

Post by AvatarReiko » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:44 pm

Assuming Goku stood in one spot and tried to tank it. Would he survive?

Buu Arc Goku and Vegeta

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Could SSJ3 Goku survive Vegeta's Final Explosion?

Post by Lionel » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:11 pm

The two most memorable instances of a kamikaze manoeuvre besides this were Chaozu's failed attempt against Nappa and Semi-Perfect Cell's intention of destroying Earth. Did Goku eat a sensu before he teleported Cell away and subsequently died to Cell's explosion attack? I think Gohan instructed Trunks to distribute sensu out to everyone so that would likely include Goku. I'm not sure if the gap between a fully powered Goku and Semi-Perfect Cell was that large, though. Everyone at Kami's palace seemed taken aback by half of Goku's power when he emitted it for Karin, including Vegeta and Trunks who had recently decimated the same Semi-Perfect Cell as mentioned before.

I guess Goku was at least four times stronger than Semi-Cell. With Chaozu, his kamikaze gesture did little more than render some superficial scorch marks on Nappa's back, neck, and limbs. We can make an assessment as to what the power gap was there but I think in the interest of the original question, Vegeta could likely take Goku down with him in a similar fashion to Semi-Cell doing so. I think Super Saiyan 3 places Goku in a different league than Vegeta at the time but the gap wasn't so massive that a kamikaze couldn't engulf and wipe them out.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:27 pm

Well, if we go off the assumption that SSJ3 Goku was at or slightly above evil Fat Buu in power, and Fat Buu was completely annihilated by Vegeta's Final Explosion (obviously his regeneration ability not withstanding), then one would assume that that same blast would also kill Goku.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:49 pm

Maybe if he focused all of his ki into guarding first.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:01 pm

He would be fucked up by it.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:41 pm

No, I don't think SS3 Goku could do much better than Fat Buu against that attack. He is stronger than Fat Buu so maybe he is not immediately obliterated but he is not walking this off.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:54 am

Goku has a good score of tanking those kind of blasts. I think he can take it if he put a guard. Boo didn’t put a guard against Vegeta and his body is weird. Actually, he didn’t took damage from the explosion.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:19 am

Lionel wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:11 pm The two most memorable instances of a kamikaze manoeuvre besides this were Chaozu's failed attempt against Nappa and Semi-Perfect Cell's intention of destroying Earth. Did Goku eat a sensu before he teleported Cell away and subsequently died to Cell's explosion attack? I think Gohan instructed Trunks to distribute sensu out to everyone so that would likely include Goku. I'm not sure if the gap between a fully powered Goku and Semi-Perfect Cell was that large, though. Everyone at Kami's palace seemed taken aback by half of Goku's power when he emitted it for Karin, including Vegeta and Trunks who had recently decimated the same Semi-Perfect Cell as mentioned before.

I guess Goku was at least four times stronger than Semi-Cell. With Chaozu, his kamikaze gesture did little more than render some superficial scorch marks on Nappa's back, neck, and limbs. We can make an assessment as to what the power gap was there but I think in the interest of the original question, Vegeta could likely take Goku down with him in a similar fashion to Semi-Cell doing so. I think Super Saiyan 3 places Goku in a different league than Vegeta at the time but the gap wasn't so massive that a kamikaze couldn't engulf and wipe them out.
Goku wasn't powered up or anything against Cell, he kinda just accepted his demise. Maybe if he had put up some resistance, the result would have been different.

Fat Buu's "angry explosion" against Vegeta kinda works in a similar way, except of course it doesn't destroy his own body, so it would likely be much weaker, but still it only managed to severely damage Vegeta, and that's with Buu already arguably being more powerful and Vegeta only bracing for it at the last second. Goku should be just as tough.
An all out "angry explosion" where Buu would do the same, that Chaozu, Cell and Vegeta did may just have killed the Prince, but still that is an already more powerful opponent unleashing a powered up attack, as opposed to the opposite scenarios, where the weaker one tries his luck.

For Vegeta vs Super Saiyan 3 Goku, it comes down to how high his power goes up, when doing that attack, since he has to close quite a gap between them and likely has to go beyond that power for Goku to take significant damage.
I can only offer my own estimation, but I imagine even a fully fresh Vegeta expending all his ki in a Final Explosion still wouldn't be kililng a fully powered up and bracing Super Saiyan 3 Goku. Perhaps Goku would be a bit damaged, but I can't imagine more than that. Kinda similar to Piccolo trying the not self-destructive variant against Goku at the 23rd Tournament.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Vegeta's explosion is likely only twice(or less) his ordinary strength so if SSJ3 is supposed to be x4 of SS2 then Goku should tank it with little effort, maybe with moderate effort if the visual drama of intense Ki blasts is played up. If Goku got hit by surprise on the other hand(rather implausible since Vegeta's explosion can be seen from literal miles away) then the explosion could actually deal some damage to him, nothing life-threatening though.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Awesome_Gotenks

Post by Awesome_Gotenks » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:01 pm

Fat Boo was annihilated by the blast. The Daizenshuu states Goku and Fat Boo are roughly equal, with Goku being perhaps slightly superior via his statement that he could have killed Boo if he'd gone all-out.

Then again, Boo's physiology makes his durability kinda shit, so it's debatable.
Super Gotenks is Born | SSjin3 Gotenks > Super Boo | SSjin Gotenks Pre > SSjin3 Goku

Base Gotenks(Pre) = SSjin2 Tier
Base Gotenks(Post) > SSjin Gotenks(Pre)
SSjin2 Gotenks > SSjin Gogeta
SSjin3 Gotenks >>> SSjin2 Gogeta

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:28 pm

Awesome_Gotenks wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:01 pm Fat Boo was annihilated by the blast. The Daizenshuu states Goku and Fat Boo are roughly equal, with Goku being perhaps slightly superior via his statement that he could have killed Boo if he'd gone all-out.

Then again, Boo's physiology makes his durability kinda shit, so it's debatable.
boos body or body parts been destroyed by characters weaker than him.
goku is gonna tank it the same way he tanked piccolos explosion in the 23rd budokai.