Theories on Future Goku?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Taingo

Theories on Future Goku?

Post by Taingo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:14 am

My theory (or fanfiction) is that Future Goku got wiped out of existence by the Androids. I have absolutely nothing to base this on, but whenever I think about Future Trunks' timeline, it really bothers me that Goku would just sit back and do squat as the Androids terrorize the planet and his family. My old head canon for the longest time was, well, Goku didn't get to keep his body. And I couldn't even debate that point with confidence because he's Goku, the man who singlehandedly saved the universe from Frieza. Plus, that bonus manga chapter pretty much confirms Goku got to keep his body. Though I'm not sure how canon that is, it's the only thing we have to go on.

Well, keeping all that in mind, I believe if Goku did get to keep his body, then eventually, he did go back to Earth to fight the Androids shortly after he noticed his friends all popping up in the afterlife. He probably thought being a Super Saiyan was enough to deal with the Androids, since no one except for him was close to his power, and you can't sense the Androids' energy, so they had nothing to compare their power to. For all they know, the Androids were just as strong as third form Frieza.

So Goku asks to go back to Earth to deal with them, he's granted this request, but of course he's not strong enough to take down the Androids, and they kill him before he could instant transmission himself away. And since he was dead already, he's basically wiped out of existence.

Other than everybody not keeping their bodies when they die, which I find extremely hard to believe, this is the only other way I can rationalize Goku not helping his son. Problem with my theory is that I'm pretty sure Gohan would tell Trunks about this if this did happen, so there goes another loophole.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought about it, though. And if there are any other plausible theories as to why Future Goku would just sit back and do jack while the Androids terrorize everybody.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Theories on Future Goku?

Post by omegacwa » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:28 am

Taingo wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:14 am He probably thought being a Super Saiyan was enough to deal with the Androids, since no one except for him was close to his power, and you can't sense the Androids' energy, so they had nothing to compare their power to. For all they know, the Androids were just as strong as third form Frieza.
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Vegeta was a Super Saiyan even in Trunks' timeline and was still killed.

Also I do agree with the sentiment that why didn't Goku or anyone else use the one day rule to come back and fight, unless it was established that you can't use that in order to resolve a conflict.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 pm

Goku might not have liked to sit and see his friends die, but it’s what he was forced to do. Even if he kept his body (What should’ve happened since he also kept it -after the Cell Games) he’s still dead and is not allowed to interfere with the Living World.

Vegeta might have been allowed to come back to fight Boo by Enma, but it was for the sake of the whole universe, as Boo would eventually reach the Other World and kill the Gods if he hadn’t been stopped. The Androids are merely a planetary threat and even Cell wouldn’t pose as much of a treat since he wouldn’t be able to reach the Kai World or the Afterlife.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:17 am

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 pm Goku might not have liked to sit and see his friends die, but it’s what he was forced to do. Even if he kept his body (What should’ve happened since he also kept it -after the Cell Games) he’s still dead and is not allowed to interfere with the Living World.

Vegeta might have been allowed to come back to fight Boo by Enma, but it was for the sake of the whole universe, as Boo would eventually reach the Other World and kill the Gods if he hadn’t been stopped. The Androids are merely a planetary threat and even Cell wouldn’t pose as much of a treat since he wouldn’t be able to reach the Kai World or the Afterlife.
This.

Why the combined Z team never used Baba to come to earth and kill the androids is confusing...

I'd think heart virus Goku doesn't get to keep his body like save the world from exploding Cell Goku does. But I think a Toyo special implied he did...

Perhaps we have to assume Baba died...
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:14 am

Maybe Goku had his later epiphany at this point, accepting his death as a conclusion to his own story and entrusting the fate of the world to his friends and son? I don't know. One obvious incentive for remaining in the afterlife would have been the prospect of travelling to the Grand Kai's world and meeting universal fighters of different power levels. You have to ask why he wouldn't have at least prepared everyone by communicating to them through King Kai and maybe informing them about the ROSAT's existence, though. It almost sounds like he's leaving them to Gero's devices without any means for fighting back.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:36 pm

Don't forget that in that future, Goku died before any threat came up. To him, he died of natural causes with no trace of a powerful opponent around, and life will simply go on normally for his friends and family.

It's been shown in the normal timeline that when in the afterlife, Goku doesn't care about keeping tabs on what's going on with his loved ones on Earth, he'll just see them when they die of old age someday. He's not aware of Gohan's superhero antics, he's not aware of Goten's existence for seven years, meaning he clearly hasn't asked to watch or communicate with them to have any sort of news. Like "Oh, they're probably all fine, whatever".

Goku in the afterlife when there wasn't an enemy on Earth at the time of his death is like "Oh shoot, I died. Oh well, that's a bummer, but I'll see them again someday when they die, in the meantime I'll have my fun around here".

Of course, you could say he would be aware when the rest of the Dragon Team arrived if he was made aware of their arrival and cared to visit them, but then he would be like "oh don't worry, there's still the new generation with Vegeta's son on Earth, I know he'll end up finding a way to beat them", including during the Goku Black arc with the arrival of Bulma.

And Kaio did warn him "don't expect to get brought back to life everytime something goes wrong", so he came around with all the Cell events in our timeline, but maybe not in the future timeline where he might have said "you did your part beating Freeza and I told you that you wouldn't come back to life again and again".

All of that makes me feel like it's only natural for Goku to peacefully stay in the afterlife in that timeline, not bothering about Earth (either not being aware if he doesn't communicate with other dead friends before a long while, or simply saying "it'll be alright, Vegeta's son is the Saiyan descendance, I know he can deal with any upcoming threat in the end").

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:56 pm

I think Goku and the others decided to move on since they lost and there's not much they can do. They just accepted their faith and didn't bother to check on what is going on Earth.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/