Looking into origins of Pride Gene and Honour Gene

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Matchstckgmr
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:14 pm
Contact:

Looking into origins of Pride Gene and Honour Gene

Post by Matchstckgmr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:37 am

Hello, Kanzenshuu forums posters I need help looking into something. Recently I have seen people quoting the following

"It's because of the gene's.
The reason Vegeta could'nt go SSJ3 is because Goku is a Honour Gene. Honour Gene's can go SSJ3. However, Vegeta wasn't a Honour, instead he is a Pride Gene. Pride Gene's can only go SSJ, ASSJ, USSJ, SSJ2, and SSJ4.



vegeta is garbage....several times he fight somebody he says I'm the prince of sayians and gets his ass kicked look at the broly movie took him like 20 seconds to get knocked out"

Now I know where this comes from it comes from a forum post on the Dragon Ball wiki(https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Foru ... _vegeta%3F) However I am more so curious where in the world this random internet poster came up with the terms "Pride Gene" and "Honour Gene" this post was done back in 2012ish I believe and I doubt the poster still post there. That said I have seen people quoting it claiming it as fact and even saying Toriyama said it but thanks to Kanzenshuu's interview archive I could not confirm it not that I thought he did, to begin with. So I am basically asking was the terms "Pride Gene" or "Honour Gene" ever said anywhere officially speaking if not what about fan-made games, anime, or manga? Thanks for any info anyone finds or provides. Also sorry in advance if this was not the proper place to post this. Image

theherodjl
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:12 pm
Location: The Planes of Lexington

Re: Looking into origins of Pride Gene and Honour Gene

Post by theherodjl » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:10 am

As far as I know, the only thing about genes regarding Goku & Vegeta is that Goku was born a "low-class" while Vegeta was born a "super-elite". At no point has Goku, Vegeta, or any other Saiyan been lumped into a "pride" or "honor" classification in either the guides or by Toriyama/Toei.
Sounds like the usual fan-invented concepts & headcanon terminology taken as 'fact'. Vegeta can use SSJ3 as seen in at least one continuity and its heavily implied that he doesn't use SSJ3 in most other continuities as the form is not only obsolete strength-wise but inherently flawed in maintaining Ki.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

User avatar
Matchstckgmr
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Looking into origins of Pride Gene and Honour Gene

Post by Matchstckgmr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:42 am

theherodjl wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:10 am
As far as I know, the only thing about genes regarding Goku & Vegeta is that Goku was born a "low-class" while Vegeta was born a "super-elite". At no point has Goku, Vegeta, or any other Saiyan been lumped into a "pride" or "honor" classification in either the guides or by Toriyama/Toei.
Sounds like the usual fan-invented concepts & headcanon terminology taken as 'fact'. Vegeta can use SSJ3 as seen in at least one continuity and its heavily implied that he doesn't use SSJ3 in most other continuities as the form is not only obsolete strength-wise but inherently flawed in maintaining Ki.
I see well I was hoping that there was more to this like how someone could have confused this as fact. As it's not the first time people have made claims Toriyama said x y or z but he never actually did or there is counter-evidence to it. Such as the reoccurring myth Toriyama brought Goku back after the Cell saga cause of fan backlash when in a Daizenshuu interview we see that's not the case.

User avatar
Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5525
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Conton City

Re: Looking into origins of Pride Gene and Honour Gene

Post by Grimlock » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:59 am

There is so much wrong thing going on here. :crazy:

• Wiki in 2019.
• What the hell is "Pride Gene" and "Honor Gene".
• "ASSJ" and "USSJ".
• "Vegeta can't go Super Saiyan 3".
Games - You are weak. Why are you weak?
Dragon Ball Super - *coughes*
Games - Because you lack... Content.

theherodjl
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:12 pm
Location: The Planes of Lexington

Re: Looking into origins of Pride Gene and Honour Gene

Post by theherodjl » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:45 am

Matchstckgmr wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:42 am
I see well I was hoping that there was more to this like how someone could have confused this as fact. As it's not the first time people have made claims Toriyama said x y or z but he never actually did or there is counter-evidence to it. Such as the reoccurring myth Toriyama brought Goku back after the Cell saga cause of fan backlash when in a Daizenshuu interview we see that's not the case.
I'm glad this is not true because its nonsense. Honor & pride aren't even physical things that can alter a being's anatomy, they're mentalities. Vegeta uses pride as his motivation for training and breaking his limits but "pride genes" alone has never boosted Vegeta's strength or granted/limited him access to transformations.
If you asked the original poster as to the source of this information then they'd probably fall back on the ever-present excuse of "It was in the Daizenshuu!" or "Toriyama said it in an interview!" without any citation. Any claim like this should just be taken with a grain of salt: if someone claims something in the many years after access to various guides & collected material is made available and said claim cannot be found anywhere amongst it...it might as well be taken as seriously as Beerus being 'confirmed' as DB's first FTL character in the midst of a Japanese woman's write-in about her sex life(true story, no lie.viewtopic.php?t=32553).
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

User avatar
Matchstckgmr
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Looking into origins of Pride Gene and Honour Gene

Post by Matchstckgmr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:19 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:59 am
There is so much wrong thing going on here. :crazy:

• Wiki in 2019.
• What the hell is "Pride Gene" and "Honor Gene".
• "ASSJ" and "USSJ".
• "Vegeta can't go Super Saiyan 3".
Yes I know but I was more so focusing on where this person could have come up with Pride or Honour Gene(I am literally spelling Honor as Honour cause of how they typed it) I thought maybe a random game or something may have mentioned such a thing or maybe it was something someone came up with in a fan manga, anime, or game. So far everyone seems to say it was made up by this random poster on the internet. Which to be fair this is the oldest post I could find using this so its likely the origin.

User avatar
Matchstckgmr
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Looking into origins of Pride Gene and Honour Gene

Post by Matchstckgmr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:22 pm

theherodjl wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:45 am
Matchstckgmr wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:42 am
I see well I was hoping that there was more to this like how someone could have confused this as fact. As it's not the first time people have made claims Toriyama said x y or z but he never actually did or there is counter-evidence to it. Such as the reoccurring myth Toriyama brought Goku back after the Cell saga cause of fan backlash when in a Daizenshuu interview we see that's not the case.
I'm glad this is not true because its nonsense. Honor & pride aren't even physical things that can alter a being's anatomy, they're mentalities. Vegeta uses pride as his motivation for training and breaking his limits but "pride genes" alone has never boosted Vegeta's strength or granted/limited him access to transformations.
If you asked the original poster as to the source of this information then they'd probably fall back on the ever-present excuse of "It was in the Daizenshuu!" or "Toriyama said it in an interview!" without any citation. Any claim like this should just be taken with a grain of salt: if someone claims something in the many years after access to various guides & collected material is made available and said claim cannot be found anywhere amongst it...it might as well be taken as seriously as Beerus being 'confirmed' as DB's first FTL character in the midst of a Japanese woman's write-in about her sex life(true story, no lie.viewtopic.php?t=32553).
I tend to take claims with no evidence with a grain of salt however the terms Pride Gene and Honour Gene made me think and wonder if there might be a source for these terms. Like a random video game or something fan-made however, with all my searching the oldest post, I could find mentioning this was the wiki link/image above so it really does seem like its a random fan making up stuff on the internet.

User avatar
Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5709
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am

Re: Looking into origins of Pride Gene and Honour Gene

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:29 am

Matchstckgmr wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:22 pm
theherodjl wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:45 am
Matchstckgmr wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:42 am
I see well I was hoping that there was more to this like how someone could have confused this as fact. As it's not the first time people have made claims Toriyama said x y or z but he never actually did or there is counter-evidence to it. Such as the reoccurring myth Toriyama brought Goku back after the Cell saga cause of fan backlash when in a Daizenshuu interview we see that's not the case.
I'm glad this is not true because its nonsense. Honor & pride aren't even physical things that can alter a being's anatomy, they're mentalities. Vegeta uses pride as his motivation for training and breaking his limits but "pride genes" alone has never boosted Vegeta's strength or granted/limited him access to transformations.
If you asked the original poster as to the source of this information then they'd probably fall back on the ever-present excuse of "It was in the Daizenshuu!" or "Toriyama said it in an interview!" without any citation. Any claim like this should just be taken with a grain of salt: if someone claims something in the many years after access to various guides & collected material is made available and said claim cannot be found anywhere amongst it...it might as well be taken as seriously as Beerus being 'confirmed' as DB's first FTL character in the midst of a Japanese woman's write-in about her sex life(true story, no lie.viewtopic.php?t=32553).
I tend to take claims with no evidence with a grain of salt however the terms Pride Gene and Honour Gene made me think and wonder if there might be a source for these terms. Like a random video game or something fan-made however, with all my searching the oldest post, I could find mentioning this was the wiki link/image above so it really does seem like its a random fan making up stuff on the internet.
You seem surprised for some reason.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

User avatar
Matchstckgmr
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Looking into origins of Pride Gene and Honour Gene

Post by Matchstckgmr » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:29 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:29 am
Matchstckgmr wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:22 pm
theherodjl wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:45 am


I'm glad this is not true because its nonsense. Honor & pride aren't even physical things that can alter a being's anatomy, they're mentalities. Vegeta uses pride as his motivation for training and breaking his limits but "pride genes" alone has never boosted Vegeta's strength or granted/limited him access to transformations.
If you asked the original poster as to the source of this information then they'd probably fall back on the ever-present excuse of "It was in the Daizenshuu!" or "Toriyama said it in an interview!" without any citation. Any claim like this should just be taken with a grain of salt: if someone claims something in the many years after access to various guides & collected material is made available and said claim cannot be found anywhere amongst it...it might as well be taken as seriously as Beerus being 'confirmed' as DB's first FTL character in the midst of a Japanese woman's write-in about her sex life(true story, no lie.viewtopic.php?t=32553).
I tend to take claims with no evidence with a grain of salt however the terms Pride Gene and Honour Gene made me think and wonder if there might be a source for these terms. Like a random video game or something fan-made however, with all my searching the oldest post, I could find mentioning this was the wiki link/image above so it really does seem like its a random fan making up stuff on the internet.
You seem surprised for some reason.
Well if I am being honest I swear I remember hearing about this years ago as well but with no source, I sorta remember hearing someone say this on a playground or during gym when I was a kid watching DBZ on Toonami back in the day. Bare in mind the internet as we know it was not as accessible. Not to mention I think the Dragon Ball wiki was not around at that time yet either I could be wrong I was not super active on the internet at that time mostly just hanging out on sites my mom let me use such as Nick's website or Cartoon Network's site. Anyways getting a little off-topic there. My main reason for looking into this is just to find out the origin of it if there was one beyond a vague memory of some kid or kids saying it when I was little or some random dude on the wiki. It could just be a coincidence that the kids I heard talking about it and this guy on the wiki somehow both came up with it. I believe stuff like this has happened before. Anyways if this is really all there is to it then that's it I guess. It would have been interesting if the origins of this was from a bad translation of something official or bad fan-created work(that's not to say all fan works are bad).

User avatar
Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:16 pm

Re: Looking into origins of Pride Gene and Honour Gene

Post by Tsufuru » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Stop trying to make db complicated or complex.

Vegeta doesnt go ssj3 becouse toriyama doesnt care.
non canon , we already have him.

User avatar
Yuli Ban
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:07 am
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:

Re: Looking into origins of Pride Gene and Honour Gene

Post by Yuli Ban » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:31 pm

Honor and pride are cultural things.
May or may not be writing a Dragon Ball-inspired serial.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Looking into origins of Pride Gene and Honour Gene

Post by DragonBallLove » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:39 pm

What has been one time mentioned are the "S-Cells", akin to SW's midichlorians, but they are a quantitative genetic difference, not qualitative as those fan terms seems to imply. As S-Cells are tied to both gentleness and power, perhaps those terms are a grossly misunderstanding of the concept?

Post Reply