Chaozu...The Clairvoyant?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Chaozu...The Clairvoyant?

Post by MainJPW » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:31 am

Here's something I haven't seen discussed. Upon re-watching Dragon Ball a while ago I started thinking about a certain scene that caught my attention.

In Episode #131 of Dragon Ball, the Zetto Senshi are making their way to Karin's tower but stop to camp before arriving at their destination.

In that scene, Tenshinhan is awake, listening to the faint sound of voices and instruments in the distance.

Kuririn asks why he's standing to which Tenshinhan explains what he's listening to, he asks if Kuririn and Yamcha can also hear but in response, they interestingly enough can't hear a thing.

This is followed up with Chaozu staring blankly into space with reddened pupils, eerily similarly to Goku's response to a full moon.

Despite Kuririn's vocal worry, it takes a response from Ten to snap him out of this strange trance.

This is followed up by the young Jiangshi describing what he's apparently seen:

It's revealed the following day that the events Chaozu was describing the night before were of a volcano going off in the village nearby.

Which leads into the Zetto Senshi springing into action.

The idea for his apparent precognition seems to be bred from Chaozu's categorization as a psychic and having been given the abilities associated with said power, what strikes me as odd is why have this crucial ability show up for one filler event? Though I understand this might not have come from Toriyama this ability could have been insanely useful in future arcs; most notably on the battlefield.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Chaozu...The Clairvoyant?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:26 am

Maybe he's just really bad at it... like he can only have one accurate vision every decade or so. Sort of like that one teacher from Harry Potter.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Re: Chaozu...The Clairvoyant?

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:10 pm

I think the answer is right there as you pointed out.. it’s filler. Nothing more nothing less. Interesting yeah kinda but it’s just a spare of the moment thing that’s supposed to help build tension for whatever quick threat is happening to help pad out the story to get to the important (manga) stuff .
It's not too late. One day, it will be.