Saiyan Marriages

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Saiyan Marriages

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:03 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if Saiyan marriages were rare historically. Toriyama said that Saiyan's 'Might' not have much of a concept of family. The key word here is "Might". So the way I see it is that that particular detail is open to speculation and interpretation.
Last edited by Hulk10 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

theherodjl
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:12 pm
Location: The Planes of Lexington

Re: Saiyan Marriages

Post by theherodjl » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:27 am

Saiyans probably never practiced the act of marriage within their society, it would have served little purpose with hazardous battles always on the horizon and how the only degree of intimacy among Saiyans was to mate, sometimes for life as with Bardock & Gine. However, as shown with species on worlds without constant military conflict, marriage exists as noted by various male & female aliens mentioning a husband or wife.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: Saiyan Marriages

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:14 am

Vegeta used the term wife once. And Toriyama did say Saiyans do marry. But you do make a valid point.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

User avatar
miguelnuva1
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1853
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Saiyan Marriages

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:21 am

I see just royal marriage being a big thing.

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: Saiyan Marriages

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:48 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:21 am
I see just royal marriage being a big thing.
In what way?
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7750
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Saiyan Marriages

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:56 pm

Hulk10 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:48 pm
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:21 am
I see just royal marriage being a big thing.
In what way?
Like in real life, where some Royal marriages are big, public events.

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: Saiyan Marriages

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:01 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:56 pm
Hulk10 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:48 pm
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:21 am
I see just royal marriage being a big thing.
In what way?
Like in real life, where some Royal marriages are big, public events.
I see.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: Saiyan Marriages

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:07 pm

if they have no concept of family then they have no concept of marriage

ankokudaishogun
Regular
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: Saiyan Marriages

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:13 pm

Given what we have been shown, marriage in the Saiyan culture is probably uncommon.
Most likely, Saiyans just fool around with those they find attractive but don't generally form long-lasting relationships.
Them being a warrior race prone to die young and often travelling on various planets is likely a factor.

once in a while, though, some Saiyan would find another they get particularly well along, and end up living together more often than not, probably stopping looking for other partners. That's likely what a Saiyan marriage looked like on planet Vegeta.

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: Saiyan Marriages

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:33 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:13 pm
Given what we have been shown, marriage in the Saiyan culture is probably uncommon.
Most likely, Saiyans just fool around with those they find attractive but don't generally form long-lasting relationships.
Them being a warrior race prone to die young and often travelling on various planets is likely a factor.

once in a while, though, some Saiyan would find another they get particularly well along, and end up living together more often than not, probably stopping looking for other partners. That's likely what a Saiyan marriage looked like on planet Vegeta.
Yeah I agree with that. We don't know how uncommon it is. But your hypothesis makes sense.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

User avatar
miguelnuva1
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1853
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Saiyan Marriages

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:00 pm

Hulk10 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:48 pm
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:21 am
I see just royal marriage being a big thing.
In what way?
The Royal family would have to produce heirs and they would need to be offical if the royalty is like all other lines of succession. I can see King Vegeta being married/bonded/officially mated and then other unions being hook ups.

My personal head canon is that elites were more civilized personally.

Vegeta agreed to marry Bulma pre Buu saga as well which leads me to believe that it's something that saiyans knew about even if they had a different word and ceremony.

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: Saiyan Marriages

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:21 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:00 pm
Hulk10 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:48 pm
miguelnuva1 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:21 am
I see just royal marriage being a big thing.
In what way?
The Royal family would have to produce heirs and they would need to be offical if the royalty is like all other lines of succession. I can see King Vegeta being married/bonded/officially mated and then other unions being hook ups.

My personal head canon is that elites were more civilized personally.

Vegeta agreed to marry Bulma pre Buu saga as well which leads me to believe that it's something that saiyans knew about even if they had a different word and ceremony.
Yeah they probably did. But who says it wasn't Vegeta that asked Bulma to marry him?
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Saiyan Marriages

Post by DragonBallLove » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:28 pm

Only a reminder to get in the right mindset to discuss this matter. People often speak about Saiyas as if they were a long and established ancient culture. They are not. The habitation of planet Vegeta has less than three centuries, and Freezer's domination has been ongoing no more than five years before planet Vegeta destruction, and as though we don't know much of them in the manga/Toriyama canon, the anime canon portrays them as having regressed from a space-capable race to little more than cavemen firstly, and thugs (albeit more or less civilized) afterwards.

The thing said in this thread about the elites seems to be correct, as they seems more civilized than the low class.

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: Saiyan Marriages

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:56 pm

DBS shows that actually Saiyans weren't Cavemen Vegeta said that the clothes Cabba was wearing looked familiar as the Saiyans had dressed that way before they were enslaved. So actually they were a long established species on their original homeworld. But not one on Planet Vegeta. Also Frieza didn't enslave them, it was his father and Leek said that King Cold's annexation had occured a pretty long time ago.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: Saiyan Marriages

Post by DragonBallLove » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:56 pm

Hulk10 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:56 pm
DBS shows that actually Saiyans weren't Cavemen Vegeta said that the clothes Cabba was wearing looked familiar as the Saiyans had dressed that way before they were enslaved. So actually they were a long established species on their original homeworld. But not one on Planet Vegeta. Also Frieza didn't enslave them, it was his father and Leek said that King Cold's annexation had occured a pretty long time ago.
How could I forgot? More to add to the diffent interpretations
That's correct, I'll check if its an anime-only / Toei continuity retcon or if it's also stated in the Toyo-tori manga.
And the second tibdit would apply to manga continuity, as is from DBSBroly, isn't it?

User avatar
Hulk10
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: Saiyan Marriages

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:10 pm

DragonBallLove wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:56 pm
Hulk10 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:56 pm
DBS shows that actually Saiyans weren't Cavemen Vegeta said that the clothes Cabba was wearing looked familiar as the Saiyans had dressed that way before they were enslaved. So actually they were a long established species on their original homeworld. But not one on Planet Vegeta. Also Frieza didn't enslave them, it was his father and Leek said that King Cold's annexation had occured a pretty long time ago.
How could I forgot? More to add to the diffent interpretations
That's correct, I'll check if its an anime-only / Toei continuity retcon or if it's also stated in the Toyo-tori manga.
And the second tibdit would apply to manga continuity, as is from DBSBroly, isn't it?
Yes I believe so and it was in DB Minus too.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Post Reply