What Would It Take For Krillin, Tien, Piccolo, and Yamcha to Catch up to Goku and Vegeta in a Satisfying Way?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

QuakingStar
Regular

Re: What Would It Take For Krillin, Tien, Piccolo, and Yamcha to Catch up to Goku and Vegeta in a Satisfying Way?

Post by QuakingStar » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:41 pm

Piccolo just needs his potential unleashed by old Kai, then he can train to re-attain Godly Ki(as Kami, they gain Godly Ki though it isn't that much, enough to be able to sense Godly Ki at least) Kami being fused back with Piccolo should give him the possibility of gaining Godly Ki easier than it normally would be. Then we get Super Namekian God Piccolo who's potential has already been unleashed.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: What Would It Take For Krillin, Tien, Piccolo, and Yamcha to Catch up to Goku and Vegeta in a Satisfying Way?

Post by theherodjl » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:17 am

A hypothetical situation like this would be the perfect time to introduce a multi-way fusion in the main story. In all honesty, these 4 characters are never going to be relevant again power-wise and so, combining them all together to make more than the sum of their parts is the only way for them to believably catch up.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:28 am

theherodjl wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:17 am A hypothetical situation like this would be the perfect time to introduce a multi-way fusion in the main story. In all honesty, these 4 characters are never going to be relevant again power-wise and so, combining them all together to make more than the sum of their parts is the only way for them to believably catch up.
I've also thought of the humans potentially taking advantage of fusion to compensate for their relatively unimpressive power. If they could merge together, acquire god ki, train with Whis, have their potential unlocked, and learn Kaioken then making a resurgence in the power race against the Saiyans might be possible. When you combine their skill sets, I think they would have the potential to overtake Goku and Vegeta in terms of ability and aptitude.

Piccolo has an easier avenue as there's already been a precedent set for him making enormous strides and bridging the gap with the transformation states. I don't believe Toyotaro has any reason not to have Piccolo acquire god ki and hone himself to the point of being a contender once more.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:13 pm

Piccolo: When Super Started wasn't there talk of like a Namekian Book? The lost arts of Namekian Magic is the way to go.

The Humans: If they could figure out how a way to absorb energy from planets or the sun, just like with Moro or the Spirit Bomb, then they can fire explosive attacks, even if their bodies wouldn't be able to take the attack if sent at them.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:38 am

The Namekian Book of Legends has things in it that nobody else knows, for example it had information on Super Saiyan God when pretty much everyone else forgot about it or didn't know about it. I guarantee if Piccolo read the book he would discover that he can acquire god power along with some secret techniques. Toyo needs to give Piccolo some shine already.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:22 am

This is crazy but

1. Piccolo, Nail and Kami are diffused.

2. Kami is made young with the Dragonballs.

3. Piccolo, Nail and Kami get their potential unlocked and Nail fuses with Piccolo.

4. Piccolo gets his potential unloced again. Piccolo, fuses with Kami.

5. Piccolo gets his potential unlocked one more time.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:56 pm

QuakingStar wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:41 pm Piccolo just needs his potential unleashed by old Kai, then he can train to re-attain Godly Ki(as Kami, they gain Godly Ki though it isn't that much, enough to be able to sense Godly Ki at least) Kami being fused back with Piccolo should give him the possibility of gaining Godly Ki easier than it normally would be. Then we get Super Namekian God Piccolo who's potential has already been unleashed.
He's already stronger than Vegeta was at the start of Super and before RoF. Whis honestly just needs to take another pupil under his wing.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:06 am

Dragon Ball right now is like Baki, if the arthor wants a character to be relevant, he just makes them strong and thats it (Frieza and Roshi). People should just pray that Toriyama likes they favorite character and then they will get a power up :lol:

ImperialWrath

Post by ImperialWrath » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:51 pm

Lionel's post on page 1 is, IMO, the best and most honest one I've seen thus far. Doesn't take unnecessary shots at the non-Saiyan characters, or make excuses for why they can't be any good. But it also puts the onus on Toriyama's stubborn lack of attention and development toward making these characters stronger and, thus more relevant. Bravo. To answer the question, I'm gonna echo a lot of these options, while adding some caveats of my own. One of the first disclaimers I will add right now is that it depends on where we all think the Z-warriors are, strength-wise, at this point in the series. Are they Namek saga Frieza tier? Androids tier (pre-Cell)? Cell tier? I think this will be important in answering this question. Catching up to Gohan might be the easiest option since both Goku & Vegeta now benefit from having god ki. If there's any non-Saiyan character who could possibly obtain/achieve god ki, my money would be on Piccolo. That said, here are the things I think can be done to enable the non-Saiyan characters to catch up to Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan:

1) Learn the Kaioken - this is the easiest to achieve in the story, and I think anyone with a bone of objectivity in their body would acknowledge could've and should've happened for at least half the cast back in the first part of Z. Also, all of the non-Saiyan characters would benefit from this, since none of them possess a transformation.

2) Gravity chamber/Spirit & Time/Yardrat training - throughout DB and the first part of Z, it was a common theme that the non-Saiyan characters would undergo training that Goku would undergo beforehand. And this almost always benefitted the non-Saiyan characters the most. However, for no explainable reason that makes any narrative sense, the non-Saiyan characters suddenly abandoned this trend, contributing to the perpetual stagnation of their development. Therefore, these characters should be allowed to undergo at least SOME of the same training regiments that the Saiyans have enjoyed. Training in the gravity chamber would strengthen their physical attributes and durability, training in the Spirit & Time room would enable them to refine their techniques and even learn new ones in a short time span, and Yardrat training would enable them to master spirit control, giving them advanced mastery over their ki and further maximizing the effectiveness of their techniques.

3) Old Kai ritual/Potential Unleashed - this is another option that could and should be available to the non-Saiyan characters since it is essentially wasted on Gohan on occasion. Characters like Tien, Chiaotzu, and Piccolo would be able to get the most out of this, and even Krillin and Yamcha would benefit heavily from this.

Those are some options that have been shown in the canon storyline. Here are some that are theoretically possible, but haven't been seen:

4) Use Dragon balls to wish for the Saiyan zenkai ability - in discussions like these, a lot of people like to suggest, usually first, that the non-Saiyan characters wish to be Saiyans. While I don't see this as narratively possible, since many of these characters are proud of being who they are; I also tend to disagree with this because it's unnecessary. We know that humans, in particular, are genetically capable of matching up with Saiyan biology. Characters like Gohan, Trunks, & Goten are proof of this. So you don't need to wish to become a full-blooded Saiyan, just simply wish for the zenkai ability of the Saiyans while still remaining Human/Namekian. Simple.

5) Have the non-Saiyan characters obtain god ki - we've seen with Vegeta, and characters from other universes, that you don't have to undergo the Saiyan ritual in order to obtain god ki. As thanks for their efforts in the ToP, or against Moro, Whis could extend an offer to the non-Saiyan characters to train them on Beerus' planet. This would be more beneficial for guys like Piccolo & Tien, than anything, as Krillin & Yamcha have real-world responsibilities (i.e. jobs) that they have to be around for. However, we've also seen that it's not above Toriyama or Toyotaro to retcon certain aspects of the story in order to suit a narrative purpose. In this case, simply bring back the Ultra Divine Water, but retcon it so that drinking it could potentially grant one god ki, but only if they are pure enough to survive its poisonous effects. Risk v Reward.

Ironixie

Post by Ironixie » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:04 pm

These will take long explanations for each character but there's essentially no way for them to catch up satisfyingly unless there was an entire arc or 2 centered around humans and human potential, we'll probably get that once uub is in the mix but for now, we can only ponder to ourselves but maybe exaggerate abilities we real-life humans already have, because why not? They already exaggerated other abilities like the 5 senses and physical attributes, so probably increase adaptability and getting stronger by-product of muscles growth and bone density, humans already have zenkai-like abilities, it's just not as potent as a Saiyan, so we can either have Bulma have a way to modify and increase this ability to be comparable to things like zenkai's and in battle adaptation or I think if humans simply trained these abilities to be more potent then we'll have a starter, if they had some sort of "reactive adaptation" technique then the zenkai gap would be closed or close enough to where it doesn't make too much of a difference, it's not very hard to believe they can create such a technique since there's like weirder techniques out there but the Bulma option is probably more probable and the quickest to get done.

Transformation ideas

As for transformations, I think Tien and Piccolo are the easiest to make transformations for. Starting with Tien, Tien is already said to have a godlike ability, just make him the god of recreation since he is based on shiva. I have no idea what his powers would be compared to the G.O.D and G.O.C. but here's my idea; he is recreation so he'll be able to change objects through matter manipulation. Just objects though, if he does it to a person, he'll end up with another candy Vegito incident if they're stronger than him. People may think this is stupid or not useful for fights but think about him being able to create Senzu beans from debris mid-battle or even better, recreating his very own fruit from the tree of might. Also, I don't like when things can easily be exploited, so let's say he can only recreate such a thing if he has an equal power source to make something like that from and he can't go around changing things in the universe without having a cause for it because the divine rules don't give him jurisdiction to do so without a reasonable cause, he is the god that the priest has more expectations for because his entire reason of existing is to be the one that fixes the low mortal count problem and he is more strict with the rules because of that, he can act on his own will but he just can't do stuff for no reason basically like beerus can, he can't recreate a planet just on a whim just like beerus can destroy a planet on a whim basically, it has to serve a beneficial cause because his role is to make sure the things that are created or destroyed are necessary to the universe, so he has to be the most mature god of the 2, but luckily for Tien, he is just a candidate at the time so he'll have more wiggle room. For his God of recreation form, he will have his signature 4 arms and a blue aura (to reference shiva's blue skin), his 3rd eye is awakened too so he is able to see the most probable future and sees across the universe and his form should be comparable to that of a destroyer god candidate when he is a G.O.R candidate, I also think his powers should be a direct counter to the G.O.D allowing him to do things like recreating previously erased beings or objects if he chooses to do so. G.O.R should be like the 6th power ranger, they don't exist for every universe because they aren't always necessary, but a universe where a mortal count suffers is when the priest deems it reasonable to have one, and as we know, universe 7 mortal count isn't that good. Basically to simply put, if it exists or has existed, he can recreate it or rearrange it. It should be a power that should always be something that can be improved upon through a lifetime of training too, so that would be his role in the universe as a god. To me, this idea is solid, at least at the time of thinking about it.

Tien needed the most explanation, just make Yamcha half-werewolf or something and gives him some lore and gives him all those werewolf abilities and some godki and let him have a wolf god power, give piccolo the dragon ball heroes transformation with maybe little redesigns and a story arc, give Krillin a mastered gigantic form (height joke) and all will be well.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:18 pm

For the Earthlings they helped the Galatcic Patrol, it could be cool if they got recruited again in a semi permanent basis. They could then work alongside Merus. Who would further see the impact of Goku’s comments about turning villains over to the good side even on the smaller scale of things (Tien Yamcha Chaozu) dunno if Piccolo would be interested in joining the patrol.

But then could have Merus act as a teacher to them. Alongside Merus no longer being angel he could then show how the UI principles can elevate them to a huge degree. Can be a gradual process going on in the background and not expecting them to master UI like Goku. It would be a nice way to see Merus throw his hat into the ring though for training. Could show some brotherly competition to Whis.

Piccolo has namek lore to boost him, possibly fusing with the fused namek warrior. Book of legends, training alongside gohan. Many ways for him tbh.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:01 pm

Krillin1994 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:18 pm For the Earthlings they helped the Galatcic Patrol, it could be cool if they got recruited again in a semi permanent basis. They could then work alongside Merus. Who would further see the impact of Goku’s comments about turning villains over to the good side even on the smaller scale of things (Tien Yamcha Chaozu) dunno if Piccolo would be interested in joining the patrol.

But then could have Merus act as a teacher to them. Alongside Merus no longer being angel he could then show how the UI principles can elevate them to a huge degree. Can be a gradual process going on in the background and not expecting them to master UI like Goku. It would be a nice way to see Merus throw his hat into the ring though for training. Could show some brotherly competition to Whis.
I like this idea. I'd love to see the humans get a big off screen boost with this in mind. They don't even have to be the strongest, but if it'd make them relevant again strength-wise, I'm all for it. Because then they can pass this down to the next generation once they transition to their roles as Crane and Turtle masters. I'm exclusively hoping for Tien, Krillin, Yamcha, and Chaozu to get this treatment.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

ImperialWrath

Post by ImperialWrath » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:11 pm

Ironixie wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:04 pm
The Tien idea is actually pretty solid, plus it would expand on the fact that he does have some psychic abilities. However, I think it might be better for him to have an advanced variation of his ability to see a technique once and instantly copy it. My suggestion would be perhaps by channeling god ki into his third eye while using the blue god ki aura, he'd be able to "see-through" a technique(s) completely. This means being able to see the weaknesses in a technique and figure out ways to exploit them. Imagine this being used against things like Hit's time skip or even Goku's UI. Instead, I'd have your recreation idea go to Chiaotzu since he primarily uses psychic abilities, and the recreation ability you described is quite similar to the materialization ability used by people like Kami and Piccolo. Plus, it'd give Chiaotzu a little something, and keep him and Tien together.

Speaking of Piccolo, I noticed you mentioned the Namekian, but didn't elaborate on what your idea would be with him. Do you not have any ideas for him? For Yamcha, a lot of people like to give him a werewolf-type form. To be honest, I'd only be for it so long as the design was something akin to GT's SSJ4. Otherwise, I think it might be more practical and easier, to give him an Ikari-like form that allows him to gain wolf-like abilities/attributes. Things like increased speed, agility, reflexes, and heightened senses, essentially make him the U7 equivalent to the Pride Trooper's Dyspo. As for Krillin, I think the gigantic form would be better suited for Chiaotzu than him, as Chiaotzu is much smaller. Perhaps a Kaioken-like variation of Roshi's buff form would be more suitable for Krillin.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:28 am

Alright, I see everyone is pulling out some really good stuff. I'll have to dig deep from something I wrote over half a decade ago. I have 2 Paths for Tien.

Path 1:
I wrote that 6 years ago. To update it, I suppose I'd have Tien train with Merus as a Galactic Patroller. Training with Merus might toughen Tien up enough to wield higher levels of Kaioken than what I previously wrote. He could even gain access to God ki and combine that with his Kaioken combinations like Goku did in the anime. In my own headcannon, wielding Kaioken with God Ki would make it less stressful on the body and easier to wield.

Path 2:
I also wrote this 6 years ago and I still think it could work. The only thing I'd change is probably untying the War God race from the Saiyans and instead to Frieza's race. Other than that, I hope something like this is legitimately available for Tien or another Tri-clops character.

Ironixie

Post by Ironixie » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:21 am

I did have more ideas but I wrote so much that I actually reached the limit of how much I could write (so yeah, you can imagine I had some ideas) I write off the cuff just as Toriyama would so all my ideas aren't super refined and I didn't have enough space to elaborate on each person, and sending multiple messages feels a bit spammy to me; so I left it with that.

My other ideas were for Yamcha to become a legendary werewolf(Not a Saiyan reference, it's just actually called that) being able to regenerate wounds and would be immortal, his immortality is like roshi's, he can still be killed. He works with android 17 as a park ranger because he would understand the animalistic nature of the creatures on the island and it would make an interesting dynamic between man and beast, give him the idea that he doesn't just fight for the human race but all the living creatures on the planet, expand his ideology a little and give him a steady job as he settles in his 50s and for him to get a grip with the idea that perhaps he'll probably never have the life he wanted but can still find some peace in the life he's gotten, surrounded by the animals he protects. By training with 17, he manages to improve base power, and improve control over the wolf spirit inside him, since 17 works with animals and knows how to help control their tempter. In his werewolf form, his strength is seemingly endless because, with regenerative abilities, sleep isn't something you really need, although the other characters with regen do sleep, I'm pretty sure people like cell never slept and godki gets stronger the more you train it. I would like for him to resemble a black/grey or dark purple color for the ssj4 look because that's usually the color of his wolf spirit and I do like the reference to gt but there's going to need to be differences so I'd probably cross his design with the werewolf goku in zfighters and ssj4. His power based on the Norse mythology, Fenrir. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bc/94/e2 ... 29b89d.jpg there are some things I'd like to change for the future, including the design and his power considering I'm not feeling solid with his design or power yet but everything else is the root I'm thinking of. I do want him to be like Fenrir, the wolf that broke through the chains that the gods placed on him in some way.

As I said but I couldn't elaborate but I also had the idea for Krillin to master the no ego zone power-up shown in filler because it tributes to his Buddhist nature and it would only be natural to build a power-up from that and I still like the idea of gigantification. I want the humans all to be unique in their own way instead of giving them all one power-ups and I think it's just a little fun being a little creative and coming up with ideas of my own.

Also for Piccolo, I guess I didn't talk about him much because his problem is the easiest to solve but the hardest for something unique to come up for, he has power-ups from materials like heroes and xenoverse and I think Dragon ball online and he already has a decent amount of powers, maybe he should be able to unlock the powers kami had? And becoming the super namekian god. Saiyan scholar has a much more detailed video on this to be honest, and he already divines in, I had more ideas for the others because they had room for something like that

ImperialWrath

Post by ImperialWrath » Mon May 03, 2021 2:01 pm

I hear a lot of people saying that the humans should each have powerups/buffs/etc. unique to them, but honestly I don't see the point in getting hung up on that at all. I mean hardly anyone ever said that when the SSJ forms started springing up like Jack-n-the-box's. Damn near every living Saiyan, with the exception of Tarble, has access to SSJ1, and at least half of them (Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, and Future Trunks) had/have access to SSJ2. And the Saiyans have built their popularity off of that, not to mention now SSJG and SSJB. Another reason I don't like the idea of the humans having powerups/buffs unique to each of them is that I don't like the exclusionary idea of it. The Android conversion idea is a prime example of this, it's only ever applied to Yamcha. No one ever suggests it for Tien or Krillin, even though they would probably benefit more from it due to how often they train (even though everyone pretends like Yamcha doesn't train when in fact it's stated he does). Plus, I think the story would become very convoluted with having so many different powerups/buffs unique to every specific non-Saiyan character(s).

You could honestly achieve that same aspect by having 1-2 particular powerups/buffs shared among the humans, and have them use that powerup to boost/alter their own existing techniques. This is one of the things I've seen and like from the online fan-manga, Dragon Ball Z Elsewhere, where the author has Yamcha master the true Wolf Fang Fist style, and combine it with the Kamehameha to develop a new, much deadlier version of the turtle school's signature technique. It's actually really ingenious and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it. For me, I still think mastery and improvement of the Kaioken to rival the SSJ forms, at least the first two, is not only a really good idea but it's also very doable for the humans, within the story's narrative. But I've also had ideas for other, more unique powerups as well, that would actually use filler elements and thus could be a way to canonize them into the story. One of these ideas, that I came up with going on 3 years ago, actually ties into a theory I had with Cell's creation. Scientifically speaking, a being like Cell shouldn't be possible, being that he's the product of gene-splicing like four different species together, at least not without some sort of "bonding agent" to hold those genes together.

So my theory is that Human DNA is genetically versatile enough that it is able to sufficiently meld Saiyan, Namekian, and whatever Freeza's race is, DNA together in order to form the "perfect being". Utilizing this concept, you could essentially create a Human-equivalent of the Heran transformation used by Bojack and his Galaxy Pirates. It would simultaneously resolve the dilemma of giving the Humans a unique powerup yet keeping it the same among them, while also providing a reason to bring the Herans into the canon storyline as villains the Human Z-fighters, and Piccolo, could fight against. I even had fanart designed for it, which I'll share a link for here:
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88777 ... uYKtLHN8y8

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue May 04, 2021 12:29 pm

Either being androided up or...

I thought about this recently.

There's often fics with "super human" however there's no precedent for this, it's contrived they haven't heard of it before and it's too similar to super saiyan.

However we know Saiyans and Human can not only reproduce but also can produce fertile offspring. So really they are nearly the same species.

Humans don't produce S-cells naturally but I think they could probably be infused with S-cells, or altered enough to start producing their own.
It'd be done by a Gero/Bulma/Towa type, and if done by a villain you could explain how proud people like Tenshinhan would 'accept' it being done to them (it was against their will)

(Think about those salamanders in real life. The can actually stay as sort of juveniles their whole lives without undergoing metamorphoses, one sub species never 'evolves' to it's final form, however you can chemically cheat and trigger it to evolve where they otherwise don't anymore.)

Because they are a bit different as a species this would plausibly create a different hair/aura colour than normal.
It explains why we've never seen it before now and stops it being a narrativly stupidly unrealistic coincidence that both have the capacity to do the same thing when most races don't. (One's the 'cause' of the other)

This also avoids them having to debase themselves by wishing to be saiyans like in some fics (when being half saiyan would be better)

So yeah S-cell infusions (perhaps a pill temporarily creating a flood of them as a last resort in battle) or genetic altering to produce their own?

What do you think?

Ten also has the option of his alien ancestry being triggered.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue May 04, 2021 1:27 pm

I don't think they have to necessarily "catch up." Since Super has been leaning more into the martial arts framework of the original series, we can just re-contextualize their fighting styles to the modern era. What do I mean by this? Well, Tenshinhan has always functioned in the Z portion of the story as a glass canon. He can continue to develop his techniques such as the Kikoho to damage much stronger opponents; perhaps create new ones or activate some techniques with his third eye. Kuririn has always been a great strategist, he can put his Kienzan up to use in very creative ways to damage stronger opponents.

Of course, even by mastering their respective fighting styles, you can only do much if you're lacking power and speed, so an overall power boost would also be needed.

Ironixie

Post by Ironixie » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:57 am

QuakingStar wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:41 pm Piccolo just needs his potential unleashed by old Kai, then he can train to re-attain Godly Ki(as Kami, they gain Godly Ki though it isn't that much, enough to be able to sense Godly Ki at least) Kami being fused back with Piccolo should give him the possibility of gaining Godly Ki easier than it normally would be. Then we get Super Namekian God Piccolo who's potential has already been unleashed.
I know this is like super old, but dude you totally called that potential unleashed Piccolo thing

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:22 pm

I'm not 100% sure his new form is Potential Unleashed. If it is though, it is still cool as all hell that they finally gave it to him.