What do you expect from Broly?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What do you expect from Broly?

Post by Kagari » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:37 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:05 am
Kagari wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:26 am He's not afraid of violence. Where is this narrative coming from?
More than any other character Gohan balks at going all out. Even when his back is against the wall and he's watching people dropping, he needs to be psyched up to actually go do something. Maybe it's not fear of violence. Maybe it's something else. But whatever the cause Gohan is consistently depicted as an unreliable fighter unable to set aside his own feelings towards fighting to actually stay useful beyond a few chapters of each arc.
That was true in the early parts of the Saiyan arc but part of his development was moving past that. He gathered confidence on Namek, always wanted to help out during the Android situation, was eager to train with Goku for Cell, agreed to fight Cell, wanted to bring out his power to defeat Cell when Cell wouldn't back down to a peaceful solution, was hesitant about *damaging the Earth* before Goku told him not to worry about it, etc etc. Later on during Boo he doesn't hesitate at all once the conflict starts. He takes the initiative going into Babidi's ship, wants to fight Dabra on his own, and tries to stop Boo - again, without hesitation. Trains to fight Boo, without hesitation.

Even in Super he isn't hesitant about fighting should the need arise. His whole character arc in that series was about staying strong to protect his loved ones while being a confident warrior and being able to set aside traits such as arrogance and mercy when it called for it.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:44 am

I never disagreed with you that Gohan is the most willing to jump to the aid of others. That he wants to help people (unlike his father and the rest of the cast) is one of the things that made Gohan my favorite character for so long. But he's only like that after he's pushed towards the edge. Unlike Goku and Vegeta he's proactive about dealing with threats. Once the danger passes he goes right back to being mild mannered Gohan for years at a time. He's done that so many times now it's as big a meme as Yamcha lying dead in a crater.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:48 am

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:44 am I never disagreed with you that Gohan is the most willing to jump to the aid of others. That he wants to help people (unlike his father and the rest of the cast) is one of the things that made Gohan my favorite character for so long. But he's only like that after he's pushed towards the edge. Unlike Goku and Vegeta he's proactive about dealing with threats. Once the danger passes he goes right back to being mild mannered Gohan for years at a time. He's done that so many times now it's as big a meme as Yamcha lying dead in a crater.
Except based on the current manga arc, he's still in top form. There's nothing that said he slacked off at all.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:29 am

I think the execs who pushed Toriyama to create a marketable, "canon" Broly may have shot themselves in the foot. Because what always happens to Goku's rivals? They get surpassed and used as a measuring stick for the next one.

Just you wait, next movie he writes, Broly is gonna show up for one scene to get clowned by, I dunno, Ultra Cooler or whoever. And the bloke at Dragon Room who looks at the script is gonna see that, and get really sweaty and nervous. "Um, excuse me Toriyama-sensei, are you sure about this? Broly is very strong and popular, and..." and Toriyama's just going to raise one eyebrow and he'll have to go back to his bosses dejected.

Should have kept him as just an old movie character. He could have been fighting Gogeta in video game intros, getting Super Saiyan 4 Dark Xeno Super Duper forms til kingdom come in Heroes.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:23 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:29 am I think the execs who pushed Toriyama to create a marketable, "canon" Broly may have shot themselves in the foot. Because what always happens to Goku's rivals? They get surpassed and used as a measuring stick for the next one.
But have you considered that it's funny watching the badasses of yesteryear get turned into jobbers? I'm sure we can at least agree that watching a fresh batch of fans get turned off when the interesting character they like turns into canon fodder is pretty entertaining. Just the look of disappointment alone is get me giggling at least.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:19 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:23 pm
Kataphrut wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:29 am I think the execs who pushed Toriyama to create a marketable, "canon" Broly may have shot themselves in the foot. Because what always happens to Goku's rivals? They get surpassed and used as a measuring stick for the next one.
But have you considered that it's funny watching the badasses of yesteryear get turned into jobbers? I'm sure we can at least agree that watching a fresh batch of fans get turned off when the interesting character they like turns into canon fodder is pretty entertaining. Just the look of disappointment alone is get me giggling at least.
I know right? The only characters that have avoided it are Vegeta and Beerus. And I guarantee you the only reason they have is because Toriyama likes keeping them around because he enjoys their dynamic of Goku's tsundere best friend, and Jetsons-style angry sitcom boss respectively.

Unless Broly can provide something like that (which is unlikely since the dude never speaks), he ain't lasting. If anything, Toriyama would probably be more interested in bringing back Cheelai and Lemo.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:43 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:19 pm
I know right? The only characters that have avoided it are Vegeta and Beerus. And I guarantee you the only reason they have is because Toriyama likes keeping them around because he enjoys their dynamic of Goku's tsundere best friend, and Jetsons-style angry sitcom boss respectively.

Unless Broly can provide something like that (which is unlikely since the dude never speaks), he ain't lasting. If anything, Toriyama would probably be more interested in bringing back Cheelai and Lemo.
It'll be great commiserating with new fans over this shit. I'll be like Elrond reminiscing about the War of Elves and Sauron in Fellowship of the Ring.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:35 am

I find the new Broly to be quite interesting.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.