DB vs the moon

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

DB vs the moon

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:15 pm

The DBZ:Kakarot's retcon or whatever you wanna call it, triggered this thread but it is something that was always on my mind:

I won't even touch the fact that the world would go crazy without the moon, so let's go pass that.

Roshi destroys the moon in DB
Piccolo destroys the moon in DBZ and it remains destroyed and that's why Vegeta couldn't find it.

What happened to the moon? after Roshi destroyed it to de-transform Ohzaru Goku, it appeared again in DBZ for Piccolo to blow it up once again. Was it wished back in DB? how come Piccolo had to do it again? also, I can't tell if the moon is ever seen again after that, I think I have seen it but I can't be sure. Was it wished back again? I know it doesn't regenerate by itself, but there it was for Gohan to go ohzaru. Was it wished back off-screen?

Is there an in-universe explanation I am missing for this moon issue?

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Re: DB vs the moon

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:17 pm

iirc When Kami approaches Goku offering to train him he mentions that he wants to remove Goku's tail and recreate the moon. Goku doesn't realize what one has to do with the other but Kami tells him not to worry about it. Been a long time since I read the Piccolo Daimao Arc so I miight be wrong.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:41 pm

Since there's no longer any Oozaru tails to worry about, you might think either Kami or Dende would proceed in rebuilding it for the second and hopefully final time. Destroying Earth's natural satellite like that must have some ramifications for the planet. Although it's just as likely that Toriyama didn't put much thought into the matter and decided to have it remain destroyed.

Under different circumstances, the planet's rotations, ocean tides, and axial tilt would be altered if Toriyama was trying to make the consequences as realistic as possible (not the best phrase to use when discussing Toriyama's writings though). Jackie Chun and Piccolo would become pariahs with who knows how much damage and loss of life having been inadvertently caused at their hands.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:21 pm

Lionel wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:41 pm Since there's no longer any Oozaru tails to worry about, you might think either Kami or Dende would proceed in rebuilding it for the second and hopefully final time. Destroying Earth's natural satellite like that must have some ramifications for the planet. Although it's just as likely that Toriyama didn't put much thought into the matter and decided to have it remain destroyed.

Under different circumstances, the planet's rotations, ocean tides, and axial tilt would be altered if Toriyama was trying to make the consequences as realistic as possible (not the best phrase to use when discussing Toriyama's writings though). Jackie Chun and Piccolo would become pariahs with who knows how much damage and loss of life having been inadvertently caused at their hands.
You know, that's probably exactly why the Z Senshi refuse fame & fortune for their actions: they have been responsible, directly & indirectly, for a lot of the chaos plaguing the Earth over the past couple centuries. For the Z Senshi to take credit for solving the various crises threatening the world would also lead to having acknowledged that they also caused them in the first place. The public backlash from the population of Earth might force Goku & Co into obscurity...and that's why they simply let a weakling like Mr. Satan claim victory for defeating various villains, the truth is actually worse.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:52 pm

Lionel wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:41 pm Destroying Earth's natural satellite like that must have some ramifications for the planet. Although it's just as likely that Toriyama didn't put much thought into the matter and decided to have it remain destroyed.
I remember hearing somewhere that Toriyama ditched tails because he couldn't figure out how Saiyans would wear pants with them. While I don't believe that story I do like the idea of him obsessing over insignificant minutiae but totally missing the much larger and obvious glaring problem that having no moon creates.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:58 pm

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:17 pm iirc When Kami approaches Goku offering to train him he mentions that he wants to remove Goku's tail and recreate the moon. Goku doesn't realize what one has to do with the other but Kami tells him not to worry about it. Been a long time since I read the Piccolo Daimao Arc so I miight be wrong.
That does ring a bell, I shall go over that arc as well.

But after Piccolo did it because of Gohan, there were no more mentions about the moon, right? by the time the saiyans arrive the moon is still gone, so if Kami recreated it again it must've been after Freeza was defeated and somewhere between Goku's arrival from Yadrat.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:50 am

Well I take it as When Kami was revived, he brought it back. That or the Earth endured a while with no moon until resurrecting Tien(Because they got 3 wishes if I am remembering correctly, two for Tien and Chaiotzu and the final for the moon

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:07 am

IMO the Moon was recreated after the Boo saga, with the Dragon Balls.