Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Wilderness
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:07 pm
Location: Basildon, Essex, UK
Contact:

Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by Wilderness » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:30 am

A well-known trend in the Dragon Ball franchise is seeing characters that are, for their own reasons, deemed 'the bad guy' joining the Z Fighters and co. - from Yamcha and Oolong for general low life antics, to Piccolo, Vegeta, Androids 17 & 18, and Buu.

Who do you think has the potential to have been good under any different circumstances?
I think characters like Frieza (and his force), Nappa, Cell, Kid Buu, and maybe some others are beyond help, however I feel Radditz could have eventually gone done a somewhat similar path to Vegeta - maybe less of a rivalry with Goku but perhaps a good guy who is a biiiitttt of a dick?

What are your thoughts? Does anyone come to mind?
"I'm not a bad guy, I am a good guy, who just... hits women with his car."

User avatar
Kokonoe
Not Banned
Posts: 649
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:26 pm

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:58 pm

Honestly Nappa could he just listens to his leader. If Vegeta started leading him the right path he would.

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 4053
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Dragon World
Contact:

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by emperior » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:13 pm

Freeza has been stated to be perpetually evil as he will never repent, as a contrast to Goku always being good no matter what - to the point no one ever doubted in-universe that Goku Black may have been any kind of Son Goku whatsoever, beyond looks of course.

All the evil Saiyans shown have the possibility of turning a new leaf. It seems like their evil ways were more of a result of their society and work under Freeza’s army than their true nature, and U6 proves it by having a society of good Saiyans.
I would compare Saiyans to humans. As we know society affects our behaviour, which is why some countries have an higher rate of criminality. We also developed out of our more brutal past due to developments in technologies, which is why nowadays it’s much more rare to see violence as opposed to how much there was just 1000, but also 100 years ago.

Cell is a wild card, in that he has cells of Freeza’s family but he probably had way more cells from other races. Maybe in-universe he fully repented. Although, if they wanted to bring him back they still could.
I personally think he could have potential to turn good, or neutral at best.

Zamasu is a pure-hearted individual whose evil is in his actions and ideals and not his heart. I think he would have the potential to turn good, although it would be difficult as that would require him to completely change how he views the world.

The original Majin Buu (Kid Buu) was just 100% pure evil and seemed to lack intelligence, which is why he got reincarnated so fast. He’s basically sort of like an untameable lion.

Moro is so evil he spent million of years in a cage and never had a change of heart. He could spend the rest of eternity in hell without repenting like Freeza.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

User avatar
Lionel
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1966
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:54 am

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by Lionel » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:45 pm

The Red Ribbon Army might be easier depending on the individual motives of the people involved. No doubt many chose to submerge themselves in the murky depths of criminality and badness for personal gain. It's also possible that some may have chosen to fight for the RRA due to forced induction or disagreements with the current Earth government.

Someone like Staff Officer Black seemed negotiable. It would have been interesting to hear why he signed up for the RRA.

theherodjl
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1659
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:12 pm
Location: The Planes of Lexington

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by theherodjl » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:54 pm

Anyone in DB can become good-enough if they're exposed to Goku's infectious naivety for too long. Just look at Freeza, he went from a total psychopath that randomly kills his minions whenever he feels like it to tolerating a minor degree of disrespect from others. The old Freeza never would've allowed someone to remotely badmouth him(unless it was Beerus) or helped a group of do-gooders that had already killed him twice, he'd of rather disappeared into non-existence simply to get the last laugh.
If someone like Freeza can change for the better, even by a minor amount, then anyone can.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

User avatar
Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:45 am

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by Scientist Fu » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:36 am

Hard to say... Saiyans in general and maybe Cell.

User avatar
ZombieVito
I Live Here
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:38 pm

Present Zamasu should have been turned good.

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I Live Here
Posts: 2305
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:02 pm

Agreed with Present Zamasu, I would also add Future Zamasu (before meeting Black). Future Zamasu was always bothered by mortals, but lacked the strength to act. Without Black pushing him down a dark path, he would have continued to remain passive. Eventually he would complete his training and become Supreme Kai of U10. Beyond that, who knows. As Supreme Kai he would have interacted with the Angel of U10, who perhaps could have tried to turn him into a better person.
And so by incorporating Goku's flesh into my being, I have assumed both the sins of mortal kind and the failure of divinity so they may never be repeated! That is the duty of a true God. That is why I do this. For the good of the cosmos. For a creation!

User avatar
Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1100
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 4:51 pm
Location: Planet Sadla

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:23 am

Definitely Raditz.
Caulifla best girl! :)

blacksymbiote
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:40 pm

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by blacksymbiote » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:52 am

Nappa and Raditz could be with the whole planet trade deal being defunct and enough heroes being stronger than them.

User avatar
Peach
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 am

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by Peach » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:10 am

I think Super Buu had the potential to turn good. If he absorbed enough people (like Goku), he might have had them influence his personality.

Dabura too. He had Babidi turn against him. He could have had a really cool redemption arc if he wasn't turned into a cookie right away.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by Doctor. » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:39 am

Nappa wanted to revive Raditz. If Vegeta could change, then so could both of them. Honestly, if Vegeta changed, then so can any other villain in the series (barring insane creatures like Boo and Janemba), though that doesn't necessarily mean I would like to see it. Perhaps not Freeza, since modern Dragon Ball has repeatedly shown that he cannot, in fact, be redeemed, and he's being set up as the main villain for the future. I can see Cell in a reluctant ally kind of role much like Piccolo.

User avatar
Peach
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 am

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by Peach » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:03 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:39 am
Nappa wanted to revive Raditz. If Vegeta could change, then so could both of them. Honestly, if Vegeta changed, then so can any other villain in the series (barring insane creatures like Boo and Janemba), though that doesn't necessarily mean I would like to see it. Perhaps not Freeza, since modern Dragon Ball has repeatedly shown that he cannot, in fact, be redeemed, and he's being set up as the main villain for the future. I can see Cell in a reluctant ally kind of role much like Piccolo.
I have my doubts about Cell. He doesn't have a concept of self preservation like Frieza. He tried killing himself when he thought he was going to lose.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by Doctor. » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:29 pm

Peach wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:03 pm
Doctor. wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:39 am
Nappa wanted to revive Raditz. If Vegeta could change, then so could both of them. Honestly, if Vegeta changed, then so can any other villain in the series (barring insane creatures like Boo and Janemba), though that doesn't necessarily mean I would like to see it. Perhaps not Freeza, since modern Dragon Ball has repeatedly shown that he cannot, in fact, be redeemed, and he's being set up as the main villain for the future. I can see Cell in a reluctant ally kind of role much like Piccolo.
I have my doubts about Cell. He doesn't have a concept of self preservation like Frieza. He tried killing himself when he thought he was going to lose.
Fair enough, but he also has a drive for self-improvement.

User avatar
sunsetshimmer
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:34 pm
Location: Poland/Equestria

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:00 pm

I believe Baby could've been turned good, as he is the only DB villain with real motive for doing evil things. That means he became evil for a reason. I wouldn't expect him to start loving saiyans (or vice versa, especially Vegeta), but instead of being killed he could've simply returned to planet M2 and rule it in peace. And if it was DBZ Goku, then probably he would let him escape, just like he wanted to spare Frieza despite all the ugly things he has done and him not having any excuse for his actions. That could also be good opportunity to make him share his energy with Goku during universal genki dama just like all the other characters met in space did, including bad person like Don Kee. Afterall, entire universe was in danger so Goku was fighting for them as well.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

User avatar
Peach
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 am

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by Peach » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:01 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:29 pm
Peach wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:03 pm
Doctor. wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:39 am
Nappa wanted to revive Raditz. If Vegeta could change, then so could both of them. Honestly, if Vegeta changed, then so can any other villain in the series (barring insane creatures like Boo and Janemba), though that doesn't necessarily mean I would like to see it. Perhaps not Freeza, since modern Dragon Ball has repeatedly shown that he cannot, in fact, be redeemed, and he's being set up as the main villain for the future. I can see Cell in a reluctant ally kind of role much like Piccolo.
I have my doubts about Cell. He doesn't have a concept of self preservation like Frieza. He tried killing himself when he thought he was going to lose.
Fair enough, but he also has a drive for self-improvement.
He does? Seems like he has issues with complacency. And when someone threatens his place in the pecking order, he rages.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by Doctor. » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:31 pm

Peach wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:01 pm
Doctor. wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:29 pm
Peach wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:03 pm

I have my doubts about Cell. He doesn't have a concept of self preservation like Frieza. He tried killing himself when he thought he was going to lose.
Fair enough, but he also has a drive for self-improvement.
He does? Seems like he has issues with complacency. And when someone threatens his place in the pecking order, he rages.
He definitely had enough of a drive to become perfect. If he convinces himself his perfect form isn't actually perfect or complete and he can tap into his DNA to acquire new forms, then what's stopping him from improving?

User avatar
Thanos
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1471
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:33 am
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by Thanos » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:53 pm

Any of the Ginyu guys, really. Ginyu himself, Jheece and Butta never really struck me as being bad characters. Circumstances and loyalty to Freeza put them against Goku & co., but otherwise they seem relatively "normal" and not psychopathic or anything.
Peach wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:10 am
Dabura too. He had Babidi turn against him. He could have had a really cool redemption arc if he wasn't turned into a cookie right away.
Was it ever confirmed in canon that Dabra was, in fact, a villain without Babidi's control? If Vegeta can be an anti-hero and be turned, that could be Dabra's case at minimum, as well. Given the series' lighthearted take on the concepts of good and evil, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Dabra's true personality was as it is portrayed in Heaven in filler. And, for whatever reason, his lines in the video games portray him as being borderline pacifistic. Hmm..
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

User avatar
Peach
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 am

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by Peach » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:49 am

Thanos wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:53 pm
Any of the Ginyu guys, really. Ginyu himself, Jheece and Butta never really struck me as being bad characters. Circumstances and loyalty to Freeza put them against Goku & co., but otherwise they seem relatively "normal" and not psychopathic or anything.
Peach wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:10 am
Dabura too. He had Babidi turn against him. He could have had a really cool redemption arc if he wasn't turned into a cookie right away.
Was it ever confirmed in canon that Dabra was, in fact, a villain without Babidi's control? If Vegeta can be an anti-hero and be turned, that could be Dabra's case at minimum, as well. Given the series' lighthearted take on the concepts of good and evil, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Dabra's true personality was as it is portrayed in Heaven in filler. And, for whatever reason, his lines in the video games portray him as being borderline pacifistic. Hmm..
At the very least, he wasn't truly subservient to Babidi, even if it meant fighting Buu or disobeying his master at his own detriment. So the majin spell didn't have have full control over him.

He seemed as if he wanted to protect Babidi out of loyalty and genuine concern. That shows me that there's partial bit of good in him. Maybe that good could have been awakened if he survived that encounter and lived to have a common enemy in the war against Buu.

User avatar
Peach
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 am

Re: Who Else Has the Potential to Turn 'Good'?

Post by Peach » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:55 am

Thanos wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:53 pm
Any of the Ginyu guys, really. Ginyu himself, Jheece and Butta never really struck me as being bad characters. Circumstances and loyalty to Freeza put them against Goku & co., but otherwise they seem relatively "normal" and not psychopathic or anything.
I agree with you on the Ginyu Force. If a good person was leading the Frieza Force instead of King Cold or Frieza, they would have been just like the Pride Troopers. Ginyu in particular had a sense of patriotism and thought of Frieza like a commander would of our own president in the military.

Post Reply