How do Tullece and Goku look alike?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Drepanosaurus

How do Tullece and Goku look alike?

Post by Drepanosaurus » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:08 am

If the two are not even related, how do the two even look similar with each other?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: How do Tullece and Goku look alike?

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:17 am

One does not need to be a relative to look alike someone else. Anyway, the in-universe explanation given is that they are low-class warriors, so it was only natural that they were identical. Funnily enough, Dragon Ball Minus establishes that Bardock's hair is not common/is weird.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:25 am

When I was a kid my headcanon was that Saiyans didn't have all that large a population to begin with and that elites tend to be the only ones consistently passing on their genes so that's where most of the genetic diversity is.

Now that I'm older my explanation is that the creator deities only know five faces and four hairstyles.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:22 pm

There’s really no reason. I get that he’s supposed to sort of represent how Goku would have likely turned out if he had been like Raditz but even that doesn’t work anymore since Dragon Ball minus establishes that Goku is who he is not because of a bump on the head, but because that’s just his personality. Ultimately all of the movies pre-Battle of Gods are essentially commissioned fan fiction.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:28 pm

Gligarman wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:22 pm Dragon Ball minus establishes that Goku is who he is not because of a bump on the head, but because that’s just his personality.
And thats exactly why I hate Minus so much.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:32 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:28 pm
Gligarman wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:22 pm Dragon Ball minus establishes that Goku is who he is not because of a bump on the head, but because that’s just his personality.
And thats exactly why I hate Minus so much.
I liked minus quite a bit. I do think that it probably came off as a bit jarring for those who weren’t familiar with the manga prior.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:33 pm

Gligarman wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:22 pm Ultimately all of the movies pre-Battle of Gods are essentially commissioned fan fiction.
As are the two movies post-Battle of Gods.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:34 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:33 pm
Gligarman wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:22 pm Ultimately all of the movies pre-Battle of Gods are essentially commissioned fan fiction.
As are the two movies post-Battle of Gods.
Nah, those were written by Toriyama himself.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:35 pm

Exactly what makes them commissioned.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:46 pm

Gligarman wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:32 pm And thats exactly why I hate Minus so much.
I liked minus quite a bit. I do think that it probably came off as a bit jarring for those who weren’t familiar with the manga prior.
[/quote]

Oh I was very familiar prior, I just can't stand that "chapter"

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:09 pm

The explanation in the movie was that Tullece and Kakarot were struck from the same mold; that lower-class warriors tended to look alike.

But now that we have Dragon Ball Minus, DBS: Broly, and this interview from Akira Toriyama...

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... -super-qa/

We know that most Saiyans were low-class warriors and by looking at the Saiyans in the movie and in Dragon Ball Minus, we see that people don't really look alike appearance wise. Some may have similar hair and all Saiyans sure enough have jet black eyes and a tail, but that's pretty much it. I wouldn't see a Saiyan to look exactly like another one unless they were closely related in a sense.

And since the Saiyan population was just in the thousands, it's very likely that people are very closely related to one another.

But as for Tullece looking like Goku, it's really because Toei wanted to show an evil version of Kakarot, a version of Goku if he hadn't bumped his head and would have went on the path of an evil, Saiyan conqueror.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:43 pm

You have humans and animals that look similar to each other despite them not being related. Probably the same happens in the DB universe as well. It's like the episode of Seinfeld "The Bizarro Jerry" where two group of people that look the same, but not related.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:24 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:35 pm Exactly what makes them commissioned.
Because I assume someone was paid to write them.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:33 pm

I always thought it's established that a ton of the low-class Saiyans all look similar. On that note I've had the headcanon for a long time that it's also the in-universe reason for why the Son family and Tullece are all voiced by Masako Nozawa; that voice just being something that comes with that particular type of Saiyan.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:59 pm

Gligarman wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:24 pmBecause I assume someone was paid to write them.
Yep. That someone is Takao Koyama, an official entity that works/worked for Toei Animation. Not a random dude making movies in his house's garage. You may want to keep that in mind, by the way. It's not just Akira Toriyama who (can) makes official stuff and everything else becomes "fan fiction". Unless you're using that term as a synonym for "something bad", in which Toriyama obviously is not exempt from doing that.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:24 am

He is simply created based on the whole low class Saiyan thing that was in Saiyan saga, similar to how Broly was created based on legend of Super Saiyan that Vegeta was mentioning on Namek.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:58 pm

It never established that he got soft because of his mother. There's a panel in the manga where Son is eating wildly and Gohan comments on how he lacks manners. It's also insinuated they got into a fight when they first came face to face. Image
Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:28 pm And thats exactly why I hate Minus so much.
If that's the only reason then you probably won't hate it if you were informed that that explanation is false.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:05 pm

Aim wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:58 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:28 pm And thats exactly why I hate Minus so much.
If that's the only reason then you probably won't hate it if you were informed that that explanation is false.
No, it's not the only reason. And I still hate it. :thumbup:

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:07 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:05 pm
I do find that DBS: Broly did it a lot better if I must say so myself.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:09 pm

Aim wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:07 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:05 pm

I do find that DBS: Broly did it a lot better if I must say so myself.
The movie didn't do it any better for me personally.