Why didn't Cell travel back in time earlier?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Drepanosaurus

Why didn't Cell travel back in time earlier?

Post by Drepanosaurus » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:11 am

If Cell wanted to reach his perfect form, he should have travel back in time when Dr. Gero was still working on them. He could have arrive at his lab and absorb them right after he was finished them.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why didn't Cell travel back in time earlier?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:23 am

I don't think he really had much control over where the time machine was set to go.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:45 am

I'm sure that Cell could've fiddled with the machine to see if it would go back whenever but he was too much in a hurry to do so, I guess.
Cell was all like "Eyy! This is my chance to get dem Androids!" like a Fonzie-Cell or something.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:51 pm

He wouldn't know how to operate the time machine outside of pressing the start button.
In fact it was actually extremely lucky and a bit of a mystery how he ended up that far back in time in the first place.
The story certainly does not provide a satisfactory explanation, as it would have you believe Trunks intended to go that far back to tell the others of his succes, even though he'd be arriving way before his first visit and Goku would still be on Yardrat!

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

Post by Berserker1921 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:57 am

Remember, he also regressed back to his cocoon phase. So he could fit inside the machine. So he didn’t have much time, he pressed whatever button he needed to push before he lost control to do this.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:29 am

dbgtFO wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:51 pm as it would have you believe Trunks intended to go that far back to tell the others of his success, even though he'd be arriving way before his first visit and Goku would still be on Yardrat!
Woah, I actually never realized that. It's so weird now :P

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:18 pm

Because Cell literally just pushed a button and it sent him back. He didn't know how to operate that thing.

As for why Trunks had the time machine programmed to go that far, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe he was going to yet another version of the past to give them the detonators to the androids earlier.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:37 am

I don't know, I never asked him.