Why did Piccolo and Goku seem resigned to Gohan remaining in the afterlife?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lionel
I Live Here

Why did Piccolo and Goku seem resigned to Gohan remaining in the afterlife?

Post by Lionel » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:29 pm

This is something I've been confused about. In their conversation at Kami's palace while observing Buu's wanton destruction, both Goku and Piccolo start discussing the tragedy of Gohan's death and how it would be difficult for him to not see Piccolo anymore -- like this was the end for the young Saiyan and that he would never be able to see anyone again. Why this is stressed as being such an emotionally consequential plot point is bizarre to me. Characters have been getting resurrected after dying at the hands of the villain since Bora. Was it just that big of a deal for Gohan, in their minds, to be absent somewhere in the afterlife for six months until the Dragon Balls were usable again? Vegeta I could understand as he had murdered a number of people beforehand and had already been resurrected once by Shenron -- making any prospects of a return for him much more difficult and sketchy.

What do you guys think? Was I the only one who found this perception of everyone's to be a little over-exaggerated when it came to Gohan's possible death?

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Why did Piccolo and Goku seem resigned to Gohan remaining in the afterlife?

Post by Peach » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:26 am

There was no guarantee they would even defeat Buu and bring everyone back. They were trusting the future to Gohan and Trunks. For all they knew, it could have been a permanent conflict like the future trunks timeline.

blacksymbiote
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why did Piccolo and Goku seem resigned to Gohan remaining in the afterlife?

Post by blacksymbiote » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:36 am

Because the wish they literally just made to bring everyone who died that day back to life (except for the bad ones) didn't bring Gohan back so they thought for whatever reason Gohan was lost even with the dragon balls.